Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Hell time

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by Samael, Feb 1, 2004.

1. Samael

Samael IncGamers Member

Hell time

Im pretty new to D2 and just reached Hell with my skelemancer (lvl 75)
    he has some +skills gear but nothing to fancy
    now, my problem is: he keeps getting owned in hell...
    his skills are:
    SM:24
    RS:24
    RSMage:5
    Rev:5
    5 in every other summoning skill
    CE:23
    Bone Armor:4
    4 in every curse
    and i have 3 free skillpoints
    should I stick with doing Baal runs or head into hell, cause i dont know what im doing wrong

2. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

What kind of Merc do you have?

How do you use your curses (curse patern)?

What are your stats?

3. Samael

Samael IncGamers Member

i have a lvl 70 might merc, for bosses or tough uniques i use clay golem+decrep
    i dim archers, and i use amp or decrep as main curses
    stats:
    str: 80
    dex: 25
    vit: 305
    nrg: 50

4. Atompilz

Atompilz IncGamers Member

What's your gear look like? Even with relatively mediocre gear, you should be able to get your skellies above 24.

5. Samael

Samael IncGamers Member

I have a wormskull helmet
    +1 summoning skills amulet
    mf rings
    +2 necro skills wand
    +2 RSM head
    silkweave boots
    +24% FHR, 300 def breast plate
    and a 37 def +17% FHR belt

6. Mad Mantis

How are your resists?

Any specific problem areas, or is every area problematic?

The set up looks pretty good for an untwinked build. It should be doable to solo Hell with just MAX RS/SM and a curse.

7. DMPI_Masher

DMPI_Masher IncGamers Member

Seems to me your doing everything right. Are you rushing ahead of your minions? They should be powerfull enough to stop just about everything. Have you placed any points in Summon Resistance? NM...I see 5 "in every other summon skill". Seems you should own them not the other way around. Hell should be played slowly. You rush...you die :eek:

8. Samael

Samael IncGamers Member

well it might be my personal resist...last night i died of 2 lightning bolts of rakanashu (unique at the cairn stones)
    anyways, thanks for answering my questions and sorry for waisting your time with noobish questions :)

9. wc3promet

wc3promet Banned

This proves something:
    1) Some Skellymancers are lousy.
    2) Not all Skellymancers can make to Hell Baal alone.
    3) You need U'ber gear or at least +10 All Skills Gear.
    4) Skellymancers might find Lightning dmg to be a problem.

10. Mad Mantis

This proves schait. Some Whirlers in 1.09 couldn't make it to Hell. That is not because the build sucks, but the players (not saying that the original poster is a bad player). He said that his resists suck. Sucky resists + carelesness = dead Necro. If he needs some better gear he can gamble it.

wc3promet you really must read other threads better. The fact that there are several posts made by untwinked Skelliemancers who are succesfull seems to be ignored by you. Are you making a sport out of selective reading?

11. Samael

Samael IncGamers Member

as a reply to that, I recently tried to do some pit runs with my skelemancer, when i did that i nearly NEVER got near a monster, dimmed every ranging monster, and amp+CE'd nearly every time i could do it...when a devilkin got passed my skeles... i died in 2-3 hits (787hp 575 def+ bone armor lvl 4)
    if my playing style is wrong, tell me how i should do it then
    for my resist:
    fire:-34
    cold:-46
    lightning:-52
    poison:-2
    i jus

12. Mad Mantis

Your Merc and Skellies are efficient in killing right? You help them by amping things right? Though things get Decrep. You DV things. The only thing you need to do is stay back and curse. If something gets near you Terror it. If there is a body just use Amp.

13. xxx2112xxx

xxx2112xxx IncGamers Member

Why do people think they can survive hell with negative resists? You need AT LEAST positive 30 or so to survive elemental attacks long enough to kill or run away. I haven't made it to hell with my summoner yet, but every other char I take there has maxed resists as a priority.

14. JoJeck

JoJeck IncGamers Member

Your resists seem low, especially lightning ,which is the most important to get higher although fire and cold can both cause big problems at the low levels you have. Try to get fire and cold to at least + 30 and lightning close to + 70 if you want an easier life. I see you have Silkweave and 2 mf rings and these could be replaced with rare items giving good resists (at least until you make some progress further into Hell). Magical and rare belts and gloves can have good resists as well.

A lot of your problems are to do with levels. The Pit is level 85 and if you are still level 75 so are your skeletons and that is a big difference making it harder for your guys to hit the monsters. The early parts of Hell have a wide range of levels, ranging from 67 up to 85 in selected areas, and you need to pick carefully. So leveling up in late Nightmare or easier areas of hell will help a lot.

Adding to your + skills should not be too hard and will make a nice difference to your skellies improving their RS and SM. Getting a necro head with +1 or even +2 to skills or summoning (or even better +3 to summoning) will make your skellies tougher and better at killing. You should be able to get a + 1 all skills amulet or even a +2 or +3 summoning by gambling at your level. And level your Merc up to your level of course :) Finally, Wormskull is a nice helmet early in your necros life but I tend to replace it with a Lore helmet (runeword = Ort + Sol) once I get to level 27. Lore has lots of very nice mods for a poor skellimancer, + 1 skills, 7 damage reduction, 30% lightning resist and 10 energy are all good ...

Good Luck, I'm sure you'll get there and please tell us when you do.

15. gvandale

gvandale IncGamers Member

whats your base vit? I ask this, because this may be your only problem, that and the fact that your not really playing your character to it's fullest potential.

With pretty much ALL vit (as most pvm s-mancers should be) you should be able to take a couple whackings.

The catchy part is that in Norm / NM, you can just run around care free wasting things, Hell is the same, but there is a little more strategy needed.

Curses. Amp is of course your best curse since your dealing phys dmg, but don't forget Decrep. One tactic I use, when a pack of baddies is coming up, is to Decrep them (shift + click, to send my army that way) then when the baddies are surrounded, switch to AMP.

Maybe list your gear / base stats.

IHMO, you shouldn't be having problems, so I'm curious to your complete build. When I MF, my resists are horrible and I can do the pit no prob.

p.s.
    Almost forgot, with a slvl1 Clay Golem, don't be afraid to recast him next to you if a baddie comes to close. He will get to them so your army can regroup.

g

:yep:

16. Ghist

Ghist IncGamers Member

Actually skelemancer can survive. I did it solo with players 8 on beta untwinked. The only positive resistance I had was lightning. I was playing very carefully. I might add that I did not die once.

I would suggest starting to use Attract curse a lot. It's a great curse and will help you a lot. The fact that other curses don't override it is a bonus.

17. Atompilz

I'm gonna have to disagree, mainly with point #3. The original poster could add quite a few +summoning items at relatively little cost. (A +3 summoning head, magical with golemlords prefix, and a +3 summoning ammy, neither of which are remotely godly, would go a long way.) I've seen marrowwalks go for pgems on the trade forum, Leorics aren't all that expensive either. (Of course, if he's purposely playing untwinked, it's a different story. But still, finding a better amulet than +1 summoning should be easy with a little gambling.)

Samael, if you're on west ladder, I might have some stuff I can throw you, I'm pretty sure I have at least a +3 summon ammy.

18. zaphette

zaphette IncGamers Member

To add to what's already been said:

Resists are VERY important. Most of the monsters in hell have some sort of elemental attack added (even the little rakanishu's).

Don't rush. I made it all the way through hell without dying, until I got in a hurry within sight of the worldstone WP, BAM ...was slain by... (luckily not HC).

Attract is your friend. If monsters are fighting each other they aren't wacking you or your skellis, any damage they do to each other is a bonus. I usually attract 3 or 4 monsters in a pack, Amp the rest, and wait for the first corpse. If for some reason your minions are getting kicked around, switch to decrep.

Don't get flanked. If your minions are fighting on multiple fronts, retreat and reset. There are two reasons for this. First you want the monsters grouped tightly to concentrate both your minion damage, and your CE damage. Second, if you're spread all over the screen something is likely to slip through your ranks. Teleport helps here. I don't have it, but I see it would be really valueable. When I get really spread out I open a TP and come right back.

OK, hope that helps.

19. Atompilz

My resists are pretty lousy, especially on mf weapon switch. To get at least +30 I'd need to sacrifice quite a bit of plus to skills, and I don't die that often. If I was playing HC, sure, I'd pay more attention to resists. I'm just hanging around act 5 hell, doing mf runs mostly, and resists are much less of an issue for me than with any other build I've played. I think I have about 1000 life, and didn't sink any points into dex which helps keep me alive too. If I come across some tougher monsters, I'll switch from my gull/rhyme shield back to my leoric/pdiamond homonculous for the extra resists it provides, but I don't find the need to do that often. My skellies and merc own pretty much everything. The only time I get into trouble is when I'm impatient, and teleport all over the place in a hurry, and a patiently and carefully played necro would have survived almost all of the encounters in which I died. Even then, I don't die too often.

20. Necrochild313

Necrochild313 IncGamers Member

You really do have too much time on your hands don't you?

We should dub you the "forum whiner"

comments on your proofs

1. It's not the gun that misses, it's the one firing it
    2. See above
    3. Lol...when I MF i don't have on uber +skills and I can obviously still kill, or I wouldn't be MFing.
    4. What character class doesn't? I can't imagine anyone who has to worry about LE monsters less than a skelemancer. Skeletons make a nice little huddle around and absorb all the damage of our sparky little friend.