Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Hell Meph Quest..Not the same is NM?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by bosoxx, Oct 29, 2006.

1. bosoxx

bosoxx Diabloii.Net Member

Hell Meph Quest..Not the same is NM?

I realize if you kill NM Meph for quest his drops go to garbage when you kill him again but is this the same for Hell Meph? It was mentioned that i should level my hammerdin on baal runs and then come back and work Meph. Will this work?

I'm going to hold off till i get a definative answer on this one.

Best,
    -Bo

2. zooply

zooply Diabloii.Net Member

i dunno. i think i heard something about this. not sure how true it is. i believe there's something like this with andy too. (and that nm andy has the best chance of dropping soj:grin: )

oh and....... you won kobold's giveaway ;)

3. GreyGhost

GreyGhost Banned

The first time you kill Mephisto he is programmed to drop mostly sets and uniques. This is called the quest drop. After the quest is completed, he starts dropping all items (unfortunately this includes quivers, keys, potions, etc).

He can still drop from high TCs and doing Meph runs is a good way to build moderate wealth over time.

NM Andy does have the best chance to drop an Soj. Hell Duriel has a good chance too.

4. zooply

zooply Diabloii.Net Member

hmmm.. haven't heard about hell duriel. wouldn't with his tc he'd drop way more though, lowering the chances of a soj drop?

5. bosoxx

Ah ok. I see. So basically he could still drop a high TC item but after he's quest killed he could also start dropping junk mixed in. Do the odds decrease after quest killing him? I guess what i'm wondering is how many people have quest killed Hell Meph and come back at a later time and farmed him with poor success and wished they hadn't killed him? But i guess this theory has to work on all bosses because you could do the same with Baal in theory... do baal runs and games where the game creator has already killed Baal you could drop into the Worldstone Chamber and off him for the kill.

anyone reading this have good experiences with killing Hell Meph and coming back later and getting good results? I'm kind of shy about trashing my Meph runner until i know what might happen.

-Bo

6. GreyGhost

GreyGhost Banned

Well you have to kill him to get the quest drop and then move on. The probability of him dropping high TC items does not change, but yes the junk is mixed in. With the quest drop he is set to drop mainly sets and uniques, but even then they could all be green breast plates and long swords(it happens).

Dont worry about trying to maximize your quest drops. Just keep leveling and try killing different superunique monsters and bosses. The best strategy is to farm different areas in the game repeatedly, like pits, ancient tunnels, travincal, river of flame, different areas in act 5, and the bosses. Just pick the ones you can handle.

You don't have to trash your meph runner. Farming meph is a good way to build moderate wealth, but there is a limit to the good items that you can find.

7. seralph

seralph Diabloii.Net Member

If this char should become a hell Mephrunner only, you can lvl him up in Hellcows and allways have the benefit of a questdrop later. If you just play the game do not care about loosing this quest.

8. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

To be precise, even with his regular drop he cannot drop nonmagical items when they can be magical instead, as with any boss, champion, super-unique and act boss.

9. RequiemDeath

RequiemDeath Diabloii.Net Member

Actually, from what I understand, because of the TC of the Durance level 3 area, the other monsters have a chance to drop better stuff than Meph... Meph can drop up to TC level 83 I think, and the area is a TC level 85... I think... I could be very wrong about this, but I'm quite sure that I read that here somewhere...

*Requiem_Death

10. bosoxx

Hey Krischan!
    Thanks for chiming in. It sounds like what you are saying (and sorry if i'm wrong), that any non-quest boss won't drop garbage even if the quest has been done. Am i reading you right? I've done hundreds of countess runs in hell and she always drops something. Yes, she usually drops Full Rejuv potions or Super Heal/Mana but there's always at least a blue Magical drop. And i've noticed that Uber bosses, champions, Possessed, etc never drop Eth or Socketed stuff. They seem to drop only from the regular act monsters.
    Maybe i've haven't been paying close enough attention over the years ut it seems there's more of a pattern here than i ever took the time to notice.

So back to Hell Meph and all the other Hell uber bosses. If the Quest or first kill on each mob is the UQ or good drop, what do they consider the 2nd, 3rd and all others after that? Regular normal drops? I was told that the first time you kill a boss like Meph, even if it's not for the quest, it's considered the "First Drop". In NM, i got 2 UQ's on his first non-quest kill, but i also got 2 UQ's on numerous other runs, minus potions and other garbage.

Wrapping up, i could live with potions from Hell Meph and other assorted junk if he still has the same chance to drop uber gear as well. My only concern, and this is the part i find most interesting is that everyone here seems to share a different opinion on this matter. That's why i love discussion :)
    The ability to talk these things out and get many different views.
    My 90 Trapassin found her best gear off of non-uber mobs. IE: Arkaine's Valor, Crown of Thieves and Stormshield. All of that was just wandering around Act V i believe. However, i didn't understand about the Quest mob kills until just recently. I'm curious what will happen if i take her back through Hell Meph now on a few runs to see what he will drop. Her main problem is that she's the complete opposite of my Hammerdin. She gets through Durance fine but she can't kill Meph very well. But with all the building tips i've recieved here over the last month or so, i'm sure i could equip her better for a few Hell runs.

I'll let you know how it turns out.
    -Bo

11. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

What I meant was that when a boss of any kind drops e.g. a military axe, it will not be a normal one, but at least magical. It does not mean that when e.g. gold is to be dropped, a different magical item is generated instead. Bosses can still drop gold, arrows, scrolls etc., as no magical versions of them exist.

Random bosses have two potion drops and one drop of something else, being gold about half of the time. I don't know exactly how it scales up with multiple players in the game. Act bosses and super-uniques are different. A few super-uniques (like Pindleskin IIRC) don't drop more items in multiplayer games while the others do, up to 6.