Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

hell meph merc setup

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by ToastedTacoGuy, May 16, 2005.

1. ToastedTacoGuy

ToastedTacoGuy IncGamers Member

hell meph merc setup

right now i am forced to farm nm meph because i cannot easily kill hell meph with my meteorb. my merc doesn't live the whole fight without 1-2 rejuvs, which is more than i should be spending while mfing. im thinking that i will need a shaftstop and a kelpie will help alot, but is there some other setup i should be thinking about? possibly upped venom ward? right now he has a eth vamp gaze with 15%DR a Hone Sundan socketed AmnAmn and a duries. i am not sure what to do with the final slot in the hone since you cannot ll from meph. is it farely common to have to pump your merc with pots? or will it become much easier once i get the shaftstop and kelpie?

2. Nightfish

Nightfish IncGamers Member

Start giving him red pots as soon as he loses health. My merc has a Vamp Gaze, Reaper's Toll and Venom ward and he only dies if meph is beefed up by a nearby might aura or something. Slowing meph is pretty important.

3. corax

corax IncGamers Member

duriels shell
    blackhorn exceptional mask
    kelpie snare

cheap and effective.

4. Nightfish

Nightfish IncGamers Member

Afaik slow is capped at 50%...

5. Boulos

Boulos IncGamers Member

My Meteorb's merc uses an Upped Shaftstop, Upped Kelpie, and a Vamp. Gaze. I haven't been able to test Hell Meph with him for MF yet, since I haven't made a strong effort to get to him. I've been having fun playing with the cows. But, I'll let you know, cuz the next time I play I'll try to get to Hell Meph a few times.

6. PyroStock

PyroStock IncGamers Member

I would recommend Shael-Shael-Amn, especially since he already has Vamp.

A Kelpie or Reapers are good options to try.

7. nobo

nobo IncGamers Member

rockstopper/gaze
    duriels/shaft
    kelpie/the reaper's toll

i prefer mercs with max res. so i change my setup with merc experience. kelpie is better then reapers for pure mephing, but i dont like to change my gear :teeth:. when using reaper's, cbf (duriels) is crucial.

edit: i prefer shael-shael-amn too because it hits a breakpoint.

8. NeckRomancer

NeckRomancer IncGamers Member

someone remarked before that life-leech doesn't work on Meph. from my observation, it's either true or my defiance merc really just does wimpy damage. that someone suggested using a wand of life tap for Meph runs.

9. PyroStock

Life Leech doesn't work on any ActBoss.

10. Nautilus

Nautilus IncGamers Member

I found with the meteorb farming Mephisto was really about how quickly you manage to kill him. The merc is there just to hold him in place, distract him and take hits so you don't have to. In the beginning I found that buddy was getting wailed on and I was having to feed him too many potions to make up for it. Try using a wand with lower resist on switch and stay with the kelpie snare over reaper's toll, this should help decrease how long he lives.

The other option that I found was just feeding the merc red potions and just letting him die from time to time. Pick up the rares and sell them off for the 35k gold, doesn't take much to maintain unless he's dying every fight. Selling doesnt take that long.
    Nautilus

11. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

Slow is capped at 50% for bosses as NF said. From my observations, the merc need slow and PDR to survive. Poison does only very little damage to him. (Probably only physical damage has the Boss vs Hireling bonus)
    So my Mephrunner's merc has Kelpie, Shaftstop and Rockstopper. Kelpie is nice because it raises his fire resistance which helps against ghoul lords if they are activated.

12. ToastedTacoGuy

yeah im gonna make an effort to get a shaftstop, im not sure how rare it is off of nm meph but i think i should be set once i get one as i have a few polearms/spears with 50% slow already so i dont really need to wait around for a kelpie

13. ron

ron IncGamers Member

You could use the moat trick unless you are against the cheese factor. I use it. No merc required. Just watch out for council dudes.

14. Boulos

Boulos IncGamers Member

IIRC the leech works, but it's reduced because your Merc does less damage against act bosses. So, less damage = less leech.

15. ToastedTacoGuy

i find that with the moat trick and FO he can still lightning me, which isnt really very good because his lightning can kill me fairly easily. well i found a kelpie today so i started doing hell meph again. i think i have done baout 60-70 runs with 1 death, which was from dolls, and about 3 resurrections of my merc. i probably used about 30 rejuvs though, so im gonna have to either find a shaftstop before i run out or start farming nm meph again, the healing pots just dont save him.

16. PyroStock

Whenever I've heard/read about Mercs leeching on bosses it was an astounding "no, it doesn't work," except recently about a 1/10th to Baal in addition to the huge damage penalty (so I hardly see that as something to work to keep a Merc alive against HellBaal).

http://forums.diabloii.net/showthread.php?t=330128&page=2&pp=10&highlight=leech+work+boss
    "Might won't take him down a milisecond quicker and as Hell Mephi is no leech it won't keep the merc alive longer, either."

http://forums.diabloii.net/showthread.php?t=335116&highlight=leech+work+boss
    "3. mercs can't leech from act bosses except baal i think. best to give merc kelpie snare to slow meph."
    "you can't leech of meph."
    "3. You can't leech from Meph and Diablo, but you definitely can leech from Baal, although he has quite a low leech effectiveness."

http://forums.diabloii.net/showthread.php?t=340824&highlight=leech+work+boss
    "Also if you're only doing Boss runs, then you should consider getting a Defiance merc since Holy Freeze doesn't work on bosses, also life leech doesn't work on bosses if you didn't already know."

NF's Guide To Efficient Magic Finding
    "Leech is unimporant since you cannot leech from Meph in the first place."

http://forums.diabloii.net/showthread.php?t=344051&page=3&pp=10&highlight=leech+boss
    "Shael is nice too if your merc have enough LL from other source. I know you can't leech from meph, but your merc needs to kill other thing than meph."

...and many other threads here in the SP forum and elsewhere. Where did you get your information?

17. PyroStock

If I didn't post in this thread and came by it later your original post would have been included in my wrong sources. :D

18. cryist

cryist IncGamers Member

my merc uses a shaft, a shako, and a bone hew, and hardly ever dies. but what i would like to know is what lvl is your sorc and merc at?, what is your FCR ?, and if u use static on him at all ?. (static can reduce his life by 50% ). if your lvl is 82+ as well as your merc you should have no problems at all with him. My runs take 30 sec to kill him another 30 to reload game..

19. cryist

cryist IncGamers Member

if you stay back far enough he won't fire any thing at you, but you will stay in metor range to kill him. If he does get a shot off at you then you are to close to him.

20. supermatt

supermatt IncGamers Member

i run hell Meph a lot with a Meteorb Sorc. my Merc wears an eth Gaze, Skullder's Balrog Skin and uses a Reapers Toll although Meph can still smoke him anytime.

Meph seems to be quite a hard hitter so i'd say Gaze/Shafts then weapon of choice whether it's a Kelpie Snare, Hone Sundan or Reapers Toll to give your Merc the best chance of survival.

that or just pop him a Purple when his health gets low.

what's your kill strategy on Meph? try to keep the Merc away from him til you've Static Field'ed him to 1/2 life then get your distance right to do optimum Orb damage and finish him off with 4 or 5 Orbs?
    i think it's when the Orbs blow in or just behind Meph that you get the most damage out of them.

:) matt