Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

hell is my favorite place, i'm so glad i arrived

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by slam, Mar 16, 2004.

1. slam

slam IncGamers Member

hell is my favorite place, i'm so glad i arrived

after not playing the beta at all, it has taken until now for me to have a 1.10 character reach hell. i'd heard the it's still too easy/it's too hard debates. well, my first thoughts after completing a couple of quests on hell is that it is really really hard, with a difficulty greater than i'd expected. my character is a zealot paladin, my build plan is 20 zeal, 20 sacrafice, 20 fanaticism, 1 vengeance, 1 conviction, 10 cold resist, 10 fire resist, 10 lightning resist, & 7 holy shield (I know - i'm pretty exact about these things). so anyway, i reached hell at level 60 after soloing most of normal and nightmare. i know it is suggested to do nightmare baal runs until a higher level to make hell more managable but i have no patience for that. so far the highlight of play has been finding a guardian angel which i planned to use as my paladin's end game armor. this will give me 95% in all resists and i also plan on having 50% damage reduction and 75% blocking (hoz or exile btw?). so far, i haven't found a great weapon so my max damage is only around 1000 - i don't trade so whatever i use will have to be found by me.

this increased difficulty is really making things incredibly fun. i actually got my butt kicked on the den of evil. i realized quickly i needed to rethink how i play the game. no more being practically invicible and running right into the middle of a pack of monsters. zombies were what caused the biggest problem and the pack around that unique (i forget his name) killed me a few times before i adopted the plan of pealing them apart and attacking only one or two at a time. eventually i cleared out the last monster after about 10 times the amount of time it would normally take me.

moving through the cold plains even provided some challenges with a few boss packs sending me in the opposite direction. i once used a tactic i'd never had to use before which was using the landscape features to my advantage - i trapped myself in a house with a unique while his pack was trapped outside at the opposite side from the door.

blood raven was a lot of fun. though she didn't do much damage to me, she did take a while to kill and as i was zealing away at her, i'd get swarmed with her summons. i used a tactic made famous by some of mongojerry's stories about his unique characters: parking! i parked all those summoned zombies at the corners of the buriel grounds so i could focus on wittling away blood ravens hit points. this was on it's way to working perfectly when my 16 month old hit the windows key and i was sent into windows. before i got back to the game, i was done..... oh well, at least it's not hardcore!

so that's my hell experience so far and i see that the longevity of this game has been extended even further along with every build i make. paladin's have suddenly become my favorite character (over barbs who didn't get enough of a boost with the birth of 1.10) with so many (now strong) build possibilities. - i have several others in the works and can't wait until i have them all reach hell so i can realize their potential.

i'm sure most of you came to know how wonderful hell is months ago but i was so amazed with it, i felt it worthy of a post :)

2. Ryshenron

Ryshenron IncGamers Member

this makes me feel good, im glad u like it

i had just as much fun with my no-build barb i started in ladder...absolutely no guidelines were followed..i jsut put the skill points in what i needed at teh time, same with stats

3. Dredd

Dredd D3 Off Topic Moderator

I love the new hell difficulty too, and I'm glad you made it there. :)

From personal experience, hell usually seems really tough until you pick up some more levels, add some skills and start upgrading your gear. Eventually, things will ease up. Party-play until your in your mid-80s helps also. YMMV though, depending on your class, build, and the availability of better gear.

4. Zenkat

Zenkat IncGamers Member

I had the exact same experience with my werewolf when i got to hell. My weapon of choice at that time was still an Athena's Wrath, as i didnt have anything faster or stronger. It was no where near enough...
    With more damage comes more leech, with more leech comes the greater ease of survival. When a friend gave me a bonehew to use instead of athena, i got all the way to act5 without nearly as much trouble. Still, that wasnt fast enough for my taste, and i was missing things like deadly strike and crushing blow to ease it up even more.
    These days that wolf runs around with tombreaver/CoH/highlords/cerebus/gores/ss/stormlash....
    So it seems survivability is quite proportional to elite gear o.o;

5. fantascii

fantascii IncGamers Member

I just got my first character (assassin) to hell this past week too. I've been trying to level up in nightmare for so long that it was a major shock when i walked out of the rogue camp in hell. Those zombies take forever for me to kill. Of course my best weapon is only maxing at 400 damage. Hell is bringing back a lot of fun in the playing. :thumbsup:

6. Backdoor Bandit

Backdoor Bandit IncGamers Member

I would clearly recommend HoZ.

(In response to your gear recommendation question)

-Backdoor Bandit

7. Usufruct

Usufruct IncGamers Member

I started an avenger. Vengance will be mine!

8. YomoKimyata

YomoKimyata IncGamers Member

Some of my observations about Hell:

-- The difficulty from Nightmare to Hell is absolutely ridiculous, especially for melee characters. Make Nightmare a Nightmare!!!! By the time you have started Nightmare, you have (almost certainly) already have at least 1 point in every skill you will every have a point in. By the time you finish, you will probably have maxed or will be well on your way to maxing your intended synergies. I would LOVE it if they restricted certain synergies until Hell, since almost all of nightmare is a cakewalk.

-- The thing that hurts melee characters in Hell is not so much that they are not doing enough damage, but that those little buggers have ridiculous regeneration rates. That's another reason why gloams are your worst enemy, since they are (IIRC) poison immune. Mal and poison charms are your best friend!

-- I like to solo everything, and it is really fun to have to come up with new ways to make things happen. I never thought the arcane santuary would be such a chore, but my zealot literally has to pick off one ghost at a time. If he didn't have high elemental damage on his weapon (unique cryptic sword), I would not be able to go anywhere without a full stash of mana potions.

9. Gul'Dan

Gul'Dan IncGamers Member

One thing i see alot of people are missing are mercs. They are ridiculously (sp?) powerful in high level although admittingly, they are a pain to keep alive at lower levels. If you are a barb with BO your high level merc dies probably only to oblivions knights. Since you are a pally (with fanatism), if you have a holy freeze merc, you essentially slows down your opponent while both you are your merc does extremely high damage via fanny. It's not too late to level one up.

For a sorc, being dual elements plus a merc means you have 3 elements (your 2 elements plus physical dmg from merc), making you capable of killing every single monster in the game.

10. smokey[dead]

smokey[dead] Banned

hate to be the bad sport here, but i really dont like hell, the difference between a5 nm and a1 hell is insane. And the difficultly settings between a3 - a4 is extreme. Some monsters are just too cheap now. Like the invisible monsters in a4 that shoot lighting at you. I have 1.8k life and my cyclone armor absorbs 1.5k damage, plus my gear is pretty decent. (shaft, sojs, maras, shako, etc) I get owned in a4 and 5 constantly and i'm lvl 80. Plus with all the trading going on in the games how do you party up with anyone? You might as well take diablo2 offline and solo yourself.

11. Alkali

Alkali IncGamers Member

I am really rather enjoying Hell - its fun - brings some enjoyment to the game for me, because it makes me appreciate even doing basic Act 2 or 3 quests solo :thumbsup:

When it comes to the later Hell quests, I really enjoy playing in a good party, but too many people quit to easy.... I was playing the anya quest in Act 5 today, with 5 others... And they were being Owned by a Gloam... so I went and nailed the Gloam, and helped them get bodies back etc, but then we quickly figured out the whole river level was FULL of Gloams... I managed to kill pretty much 75% of them (1 by 1 tactic), but the others were just getting nailed by them because they dont know how to dodge the lightening... So because they were dying too often, the others left, and I couldnt finish the level on my own because there were too many champion ghosts and Gloams guarding anya :hanky: ... But thats something that is oddly good - the fact that even though I could own the gloams in a party, when the others left I was useless against their grouped strength.... ah well, I hope I have better luck next time, and am left with more than 69 gold after the level :lol: