Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Hell is a huge dissapointment

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by MaddMardigan, Mar 16, 2004.

1. MaddMardigan

MaddMardigan IncGamers Member

Hell is a huge dissapointment

At least from my experience. I'm not talking about the difficulty level. I'm talking about the people. When I went through Normal and Nightmare I never had a problem getting together a good party of nice people. Once I reached hell things changed entirely. I never see any quest games in hell. Turns out if you want to get to hell baal the only way to do it is by yourself or have someone rush you for forge. I tried creating a game for quests and nobody shows up except people who wanted to know what items i have or want free items. Then hell baal games are even worse. In nightmare and normal there was no strategy involved but in hell you cant just power through the minions in seconds. Most people don't realize this and die then quit halfway through the game, and then everyone else quits. So here i am with my level 81 necro. No parties to join except baal games that turn to crap in a matter of seconds. I guess i can help out people in nightmare and hell with my necro. I'm currently on US West Ladder. Is it different on other servers? Maybe non-ladder has a better population. Or maybe i could try hardcore. I hear ppl in hardcore are generally more party-friendly.

2. th5418

th5418 Banned

Go solo. Play with friends.

3. chaca

chaca IncGamers Member

I find a lot of the pubbies that way as well. If you see me online, msg me if you want to party in hell. acct: jman8611

4. Frenzied Bovine

Frenzied Bovine IncGamers Member

This is simply because you can get level 75 in Nightmare, and level 85-90 without leaving Act 1 Hell. Why bother to go any further?

5. Kewk_LOC

Kewk_LOC IncGamers Member

LoL, good luck getting to 85 in act1.

6. Shadow_247

Shadow_247 IncGamers Member

It may be worth your while to check out the player matchup forum. You can try and pull together a USWEST baal running party, or join one of the existing ones. I play east, and we do have some public games that end up like the one you detailed, but a good amount of the time I can find a fine public baal run chain, with fast, well-built, good-mannered people.

And 75-85 in say, the pit or mausoleum does not take an exponentially long time. Of course it is not as fast as other methods, but it is not slow.

7. c64flash

c64flash IncGamers Member

To play the game ?

The pits are in act1.

8. Yavanna

Yavanna IncGamers Member

Whaddaya mean, Hell is a huge disappointment? My Matriarchs and Patriarchs are reduced to doing Countess Runs for experience, or even going back to NM.

9. Nastie_Bowie

Nastie_Bowie Banned

Mind numbing repetetive Pit runs. About 5 or 6 for each level, solo. Though, generated randomly, the Pit is very predictable, and very easy once you understand the set-up. Good drops 40% - 50% of the time.

10. smokey[dead]

smokey[dead] Banned

took the words right from my mouth. In fact i was going to post something about this earlier. It's no so much of a disappointment as it is a change of pace. Now nightmare has more exp. And i lasts longer than hell would. And hell a4+ should be for the late 85+ chars. All i see are games that want to trade in hell, about 1/10 games are actual quest games. and 1/15 are baal runs. Thats the only thing im pissed at. People need to type /join trading-USeast. and quit abusing the creation of games. anyone know what channels i can join that offer baal runs on hell on useast? /msg me on *smokey[dead] non-ladder USeast.

11. Frenzied Bovine

Frenzied Bovine IncGamers Member

The problem is that the upper strata of exp in Nightmare (Baal runs, Chaos runs, etc) is not much lower than that of Hell.

There really is no point in moving forward if you don't want to get higher than, say, level 80. I really move characters into Hell to get level 80 (because of Arachnid Mesh, mostly), to trade, and to do the Pit/Chaos Sanctuary/Hellforge. That's it.

Really, Act 5 should be MUCH higher exp. IMO it is one of the big, big failings of Diablo II that the area levels of Act 5 Hell are still 85. There's basically nowhere to get exp after level 91 or so except at certain bosses whose level overrides the area level (eg. Diablo, Baal).

Area level 85 can drop everything important anyway. And the easiest 85 area is the pit.

The only other reason I can think to level up, personally, is IIRC to hit 94 for certain crafting/reroll prefixes/suffixes. But my 91 wf zon has so much trouble getting exp I really can't see the point.

12. JEDi-MiNDTRiCKS

JEDi-MiNDTRiCKS Banned

Try reading his post, he said hell is a dissapointment because of not being able to get partys/do quests with people.

13. Yavanna

Yavanna IncGamers Member

Ignore me completely.

*disappears*

14. Grenesir

Grenesir IncGamers Member

My ladder sorc went from lvl 77 to 89 by MFing solely in act1.

15. Omikron8

Omikron8 IncGamers Member

Heh only to level 85? My bowazon got to level 93 today and she has been doing pit runs since she hit 90 when flayer jungle stopped giving thousands of xp per kill. The monster hitpoints in the pit are ridiculously low for the experience, danger factor (except those firing squad archers) and item drops.

16. Xecras

Xecras IncGamers Member

I can't even begin to relate to first post. Trying to level my barb to use my IK maul is absolute hell (no unfunny pun intended). I host a "Act 1-Just level" and NO ONE comes in. Now I'm stuck guessing random names for nm Baal runs in the Joining screen. My other characters met this fate, and I'm tired of it.

17. Dracoy

Dracoy IncGamers Member

my friend got from

lvl 60-92 in pits. he is still going strong...

18. smokey[dead]

smokey[dead] Banned

yea, the pits are amazing, i was having a hard time leveling up and went to solo in the pits in a 4 player game. In a matter of 10 minutes i was 1/2 done at lvl 80. thats 1/3 the time i'd take me to solo level in a3. Think about how much exp i'd have in a 8 player game.

19. YomoKimyata

YomoKimyata IncGamers Member

I normally do solo Diablo runs in Hell for my MF wind druid, but I got bored the other day so start looking at the pubby games to see if anyone needed any help. I see a 2-player game named "Help Diablo" with a lvl 77 barb, so I join and volunteer my assistance. I see he is a sword frenzy barb so I ask him what his setup is. His response: "My set up? *** + ***. lol" So I leave.

Spent ten minutes looking for any game that looked like someone needed help. Finally I start a game named "You need Diablo" or something like that. A bunch of people join and we go on a D run. And I could not believe the idiocy of these people. I get them to CS, and everyone runs in every direction, resulting in every monster in the place converging on one spot, which ends up being the spot where all their bodies keep piling up... I was wondering if any of these people ever played the game before. Seriously, this one sorc kept meteoring fire-immune balrogs, then switching to frozen orb for the cold-immune OKs. I hope he/she was joking around.

So FINALLY we clear out the CS (normally takes me about 5-10 minutes solo), kill D, and, you guessed it, I couldn't even see what the drops were since the stragglers were shift-clicking while I killed him.

I know that this is a sample set of one evening, but I have to agree that playing in the pubbies is very hit or miss and is not viable unless you are in a very forgiving mood...

20. Kip

Kip IncGamers Member

As a general rule I am in agreement. I am on USEast HC Ladder and my level ** pally can have a heck of a time getting into anything in terms of pubbies for organized hell games. I am lucky enough to have a good enough core of friends that we can generally get together enough people together to do our own Baal, Diablo, Meph, and Pit runs. And since almost all of them have been playing for a couple of years at least they all know how to play in a party and they all know how to build a good hell killing machine. This is probably the best way to get good games going....and in all liklihood the safest way. I am regularly hostiled in hell pubby games after a few good runs have been had. I guess a BH pally is looked at as fair game for a pk attempt. Oh well what can you do. I'd offer to quest with you if you were on East.....there are still quite a few helpful people out there.

Kip