Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

hell countess runedrop BS

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by sirpoopsalot, Jun 1, 2005.

1. sirpoopsalot

sirpoopsalot Diabloii.Net Member

hell countess runedrop BS

Thought I'd do some mid-high level rune hunting in hell yesterday/today since my devoted MF effort against NM Meph has finally brought me up to survivable (i'm playing an untwinked, shieldless barb, so you get the picture :cheesy: ). After about 10 runs of Tal or lower, I decided to start tracking of drops. Guess what: that hag of a countess seems to drop better in NM.

I'm up to about 40 runs in hell, and the best rune I've had is one stinking Amn (looking through my drops list though, I've had 17 El's. Yay!). At this rate I should be able to cube up to an Ist sometime after I reach lvl 99 (lvl 78 currently).

Maybe its 'cause I could fly through in 1/2 the time, but it seems like every third or fourth countess run in NM I was getting at least a Sol. I've been skipping the cube route since I tried it in NM (sloooowwwwww), but i'm actually considering going back & giving it a go (please shoot me). My goal is to get a Fal for Lionheart (would love an Ist for my new Ali Baba, but my recent experiences have tamed my greed a little ;)).

Is this crap normal in your experience, or am I having a bad run? MF gear does NOT have an effect on rune drops, correct?

2. Cormallon

Cormallon Diabloii.Net Member

Such drops from the Countess are very lucky ones, I'd say you had a run there ;) What you experience now is quite normal I fear. Be sure to run her on P1 since going for runes you WANT no-drops, because this enables her to drop more runes from her special rune drop (the total number of items is capped at 6).

There are threads about countess runs here in the forum, Vemp did a lot of statistics.

3. nepeta

nepeta Diabloii.Net Member

40 runs is nothing, do a 1000 at least and then complain, to get replies " do another 1000". The odds are abyssmal, live with it.

4. Lucky_Seven

Lucky_Seven Diabloii.Net Member

.... and dont believe everything you read.

In 500 runs i've got 1 pul from countess :( and was lucky with another Pul from minions.

Best runes from 500 countess runs.

10 Sol Rune
    7 Shael Rune
    9 Dol Rune
    7 Hel Rune
    4 Io Rune
    4 Lum Rune
    1 Ko Rune
    2 Fal Rune
    1 Lem Rune
    (1) Pul Rune + 1 from minions.

...for every 900 runs you get a Mal :D

5. Artagas

Artagas Diabloii.Net Member

Or if you are like me...a lot more. I started running for a Pul so i could up a ribcracker. Before i found my first Pul (~run 220) I bumped into 3 (three) Mal runes. That was unbeliavable.

6. Shade

Shade Diabloii.Net Member

Correct. It will affect any items she drops though.

You're better off running her in Hell if you want high runes because NM Countess can't drop anything higher than Io (or Ko from her item drops, but that's unlikely)

Fal is fairly achievable in Hell, with enough patience, although getting an Ist or two will take forever.

Oh, and if you can, kill off her minions too. They have an astronomically-small chance of dropping even better runes. Don't sacrifice run-time for thoroughness though, when after runes, speed is paramount.

7. sirpoopsalot

Thanks all.

I guess I might as well start cubing again; with those drop rates i'll probably double my runes (eventually, lol). Atleast it'll give me something to do other than count all the El's I threw away.

Re: Hell vs. NM. I've got 5 Shaels, 4 Dols, 3 Hels & 3 Io's after pro'ly 300 runs in NM - even with cubing, IMO those drops are as good as i'm getting in Hell, but at roughly 25% time required per run.

I think I'll complete my initial goal of 100 hell runs, then give 100 NM runs a go, just to compare the two. If anyone's curious, I'll re-post in this thread with the results when I get to that point (although, I've been dabbling at XP gain along the way, so it's roughly 11-14 minutes/run in hell; it could take me a while - despite not having anything else to do this week :uhhuh: ).

8. JihadJesus

JihadJesus Diabloii.Net Member

If you're rune poor, Countess running for a few weeks will reall ymak eoyur stash a lot prettier - but don't go looking for one specific rune drop, that could take you literally months. Take what you can get, and cube what you need.

9. dune6836

dune6836 Diabloii.Net Member

i havent run countess for a while. in my experience she is great for collecting el's.
    as i recall the highest rune i ever got from a hell countess run was ko. it dropped from a boss that i killed on the way in..

10. jjscud

jjscud Diabloii.Net Member

ATMA's drop calc says that nightmare and hell countess drops are almost identical, for the runes NM countess can drop. Speed and saftey are advantages of NM but at the cost of the higher runes, I guess if you need a few extra Shael or Hel it may be worth it but otherwise its not.

Also, 40 is a small number statistically, a sol has a 1 in 22 chance of dropping (both in NM and Hell) so you should only see one or two but over a small number of runes it may vary wildly.

My personal suggestion, pull up atma's drop calc and look at the countesses drop odds (change to 'display as odds' for easy readability) and look at how often she drops the runes you're looking for. Eventually the nubers will catch up with you so you might as well make sure the numbers are acceptable ahead of time.

Edit: another one of my perspective notes, I started running countess at lvl 63 and have only teleported to her lair and cleared just the lair and am currently at lvl **. In that time I've found 1 ist, 5 mal, 2 um and 4 pul. That also includes an extra 500 runs from another char. I have been a bit unlucky with ists though.

11. sirpoopsalot

just finished my 200th run and thought i'd update my finds list, as i'm ready to go back to questing (YAY!). The rune totals are exclusively from countess drops (so the Io I found on the way isn't included).

Strategy/History Summary
    The first 141 runs were horrible, and the best rune she dropped was a single Hel. Around run 80 all of the random ranged boss packs (ok, around 70%+ of the boss packs I encountered) started spawning cursed, extra strong, multi-shot - not the best mods for my melee build :uhhuh: . Fortunately that seemed to stop after another 50 runs.

I think at that point the game realized i wasn't quitting until I got that elusive Fal, so within the next 35 runs or so she dropped 2 more Hels, 2 Lums, 1 Lem, and 1 Um. On run 193 she dropped a Ko, and combined with all of the runes I had saved from the beginning of time, this gave me enough to cube up for the Lionheart I desired.

As for MF, I started with 25 total MF, but at run 170 decided to swap out one of my echoing swords for an ali baba (used on weapon switch - if the merc can handle the kill), and my +1 skills, +1 BO helm for a 3 Ptopaz helm. I started at clvl 77 or 78, and finished at 83 (pushing 84). Anyways...

El - 89
    Eld - 48
    Tir - 44
    Nef - 33
    Eth - 30
    Ith - 28
    Tal - 27
    Ral - 19
    Ort - 18
    Thul - 14
    Amn - 8
    Sol - 7
    Shael - 3
    Dol - 2
    Hel - 3
    Lum - 2
    Ko - 1
    Lem - 1
    Um - 1

Noteable Drops (run number)
    * denotes it was actually dropped by the countess

Hone Sundan (16)
    6% MF small charm (18)
    +1 Amaz. J&S skills grand charm (49) - my first skiller ever
    Ethereal Moser's Blessed Circle (52)
    small charm 3-6 cold dmg, 10% f res. (67) *
    rare jewel (+5 min dmg, 23% ED, +2 dex, +9 def) (**) *
    rare jewel (9 str, 8 dex, 13%ED, 32AR) (119)
    IK Maul (176) *
    Rare Amulet (+1 Pal skills, 13 f/c/l res, 29 p res, 5% LL, +50 life) (178) *
    small charm of vita (179)
    String of Ears (183)
    Verdungos Hearty Cord (190)
    ocher large charm of vita (193)
    ...and, saving the best for last, my first ever ...
    Harlequin's Crest (198)

IMO, since I got what I needed, plus can upgrade my PvM belt, helm & a few charms, it was worth the effort - barely. Now, if only I can find the right 3 socket armor...

12. skoolbus

skoolbus Diabloii.Net Member

I dont see why people run countess endlessly for runes. I do cow runs and get mals out the wazoo, which is like 1 in 40 runs or so. Not only is it infinately less boring, but I get the awesome items to put the runes in as well.

If you havent done cow runs in 1.10, I would suggest making a cower if possible and trying out some cow runs, I doubt you would be disappointed, especially if you get a zod :D

13. sirpoopsalot

Well, for me, i'm trying to take an untwinked, no-shield barb to patriarch - so building a cow'er out of him would be rather difficult ("oh look, I died again, I think I took down 1 or 2 out of that pack of 20 though" ;) )

I might take that approach for future builds if I want to twink, but twinking kind of makes me feel dirty. :p

14. bill_n_opus

bill_n_opus Diabloii.Net Member

Keep in mind that for runes up to a certain level (can't remember at the moment) the difference between NM and Hell on players1 (you are running on players1 right?) the odds are about the same. However, once you get to Ko or something like that the odds get really bad for NM and of course NM Countess can only drop so far.

So, if you are gunning for the desirable mid-runes then be prepared for a ton of runs.

I run Countess at times sometimes not even for the runes but for Countess drops. Some people have gotten a HoZ from her so that's where it's at for me baby! Still eludes me.