Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Hell Baal Charms Question

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by minuses, Aug 2, 2010.

1. minuses

minuses IncGamers Member

Hell Baal Charms Question

Is it effective to roll hell baal charms even if the lvl req is low? I kept rolling hell baal scs still not getting good rolls at all.

2. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

Re: Hell Baal Charms Question

The level req of the charm's current affixes doesn't say anything about its quality. It only depends on his item level and those from Baal, Nihlathak and Diablo are the best.

However, the good affixes on SCs can be found anywhere in hell mode. Therefore it pays off more to use pgems for Baal/Nihlathak/Diablo GCs (only they have a chance for 41+ life).

3. minuses

minuses IncGamers Member

But I found them from hell baal. I been rolling them still no luck :(

So I should not give up untill they are at least a useful sc since lvl req does not affect ilvl am I right?

4. krischan

It's actually best to sell pgems and buy your needs from that. Rerolling charms only pays off when you are rich enough to afford being lazy with muling. My rule of thumb is, as long as I don't have a Baal GC, Im too poor to afford it :azn:

Rerolling SCs doesn't pay off at all IMO. Better pick up monster drops, you will probably find more of them than the gems you need for rerolling once.

5. minuses

minuses IncGamers Member

Well im not baaling again untill my baal scs are rolled to any ending sc that is at least useful. I been getting better rolls but not good enough to be an ending sc. Im even hoping to get a 3/ar/moded sc and I would be happy with that for a reroll.

6. Shanksie1337

Shanksie1337 IncGamers Member

good luck with that.

7. krischan

That doesn't make any sense at all, but you are free to waste your resources in any manner you like. :azn:

As I wrote, you don't need a Baal SC for good affixes (except you want the high elemental damage affixes for some reason). Any SC from hell mode will do, so you can save your pgems and pick up and identify those dropped by monsters. Max/ar/life SCs even drop from act 3 nightmare on and higher levels don't mean higher chances. The opposite is the case, high-level SCs will have a lower chance for max/ar because they have more possible affixes and Baal SCs have the worst chances for that.

8. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot IncGamers Member

That was my understanding of it as well. The same is true for large charms (not that many people reroll those). It is only GCs from Baal (technically, I think Nihlathak and Diablo also qualify) that can get different affixes compared to a regular hell monster. Furthermore, there are only two types of affixes that Baal GCs can get that regular GCs cannot. One of those types was all of the highest elemental damage prefixes (which most people don't care about), and the other type was the 41+ life affix (which is very useful).

In summation, a hell Baal SC is not really a precious comodity. You'll get plenty of SCs just questing/mfing/whatever.

9. Shanksie1337

I'm going to be shooting myself in the foot here, and doing a massive contradiction aswell, but here goes.

To put it in perspective, I leave sc's and lc's dropped by baal on the ground once I've id'd them and know them to be pants. Rerolling these charms doesn't pay off statistically, the extra ilvl actually decreases the chances of you getting the 3/ar/life mod as it enables more possibilities that simply aren't profitable. Only only GC's does the extra ilvl give options that wouldn't be available or as profitable on lower ilvl charms.

The odds are you'll spend lots of pgems, and end up with a 7mf sc worth ~pul or whatever when that pul will buy you maybe 10-15 pgems. 7mf is useful and definately not worth rerolling if you have a Baal GC.

My advise - like most of the other ppl in this thread - is to stop rerolling sc's and save your pgems for a GC. Sure you might get lucky, but the chances of it being anywhere near as profitable as a good roll on a GC is very remote.

Contradiction time:
    Last ladder my pgem mule was totally full, and i cba making another mule, so i rolled a baal sc 3 times (9 pgems) with the intent of making some room so i could loot the pgems on the floor in my mule game.
    I was more than a little pleased to find a 3/19/20 in my cube :D

10. krischan

Oh, I have no problem with that. It's the typical issue about personal experiences of a few people versus statistics.

1. My very first 3 pgem reroll I ever made (OK, maybe the third) led to a 15% allres GC with a nice second mod... might have been fhr.

2. In this season I needed just 10 rerolls to produce a PC ckiller with more than 20 life from the one and only Baal GC I had so far... it dropped when doing Baal for the quest for the very first time in this season.

11. minuses

minuses IncGamers Member

Then you tell me what can roll on them? I just rolled a 16 life sc on one of the baal sc but still not good enough. At least tell me if it is possible to get 20/5, 3/20/20, etc. doing a reroll on baal scs. There has to be some sort of advantage of rolling the highest ilvl sc in the game.

Well I think you are referring to a ilvl 99 sc can roll any prefix and suffix so its unlikely to get something that will be a useful sc. But I was referring to any sc that will be good like 7% mf/5% all resist, 20 life/5% all resist, and all that good stuff. I know thats very hard to get but you know what I mean.

12. Shanksie1337

Ok, blunt mode on

This is what everyone has been saying

THERE IS NO ADVANTAGE TO REROLLING ILVL 99 SC'S

blunt mode off

helpfull mode on

have a check on this link (assuming I've linked it right). It should show you ilvl99 sc really doesn't help.

So assumung I've not missed any major "aim" of sc rerollers, you can see that all you really need to get the best mods is an ilvl 48 sc (for Serpents)[Looking at the "Level" column]. All increasing the ilvl does is enable the chances of getting certain less desirable mods.
    For example (and certainly not limited to)
    ilvl66 = 5 - 7 to 9 - 14 Cold-Damage over 1 Seconds
    ilvl91 = 8-10 to 15 - 20 Cold-Damage over 1 Seconds

Your applying noob-logic here (no offence here, can't think of a better term) which assumes:
    "Only the best charm must be able to get the best mods"

and as ppl have been trying to tell you :banghead: this logic isn't correct.

Yes, everything can spawn on an ilvl 99 sc, but all the most desired affixes (max/ar/life/mf/single res/all res) can spawn on an ilvl 48 sc, so the IDEAL sc to reroll would be an ilvl48 sc, NOT an ilvl99 one.

helpful mode off

and as i've just spent 30 mins writing this post, i'm off for a :guiness:

Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  13. minuses

minuses IncGamers Member

Ok thanks for your advice. Now I see how it works.

14. Milb

Milb IncGamers Member

You aren't quite right Shanksie, the minimum ilvl you need on a small charm is 62 to roll Serpent's.

ilvl=62
    qlvl of small charm = 28

If (ilvl>99) then {ilvl=99}
    if (qlvl>ilvl) then {ilvl=qlvl} ;]
    if (magic_lvl>0) then {alvl=ilvl+magic_lvl}
    else
    {
    if (ilvl<(99-qlvl/2))
    then {alvl=ilvl-qlvl/2}
    else {alvl=2*ilvl-99}
    }
    If (alvl>99) then {alvl=99}

We are aiming for alvl = 48.

alvl = ilvl-qlvl/2
    48 = ilvl -14 => ilvl = 62

Source

15. Shanksie1337

Ahh thanks for the heads up Milb, was a little drunk when i wrote that, so I'd assumed there was an error or two :). I've always kept well clear of all this ilvl=>99alvl if p< x/2 clvl etc etc gubbins and i stick to rerolling GC's :D

Still my essay has hopefully convinced the OP to save his/her pgems for GC's :D.

16. minuses

minuses IncGamers Member

And tell me what OP means?

17. krischan

OP = original poster, i.e. you ;)

18. minuses

minuses IncGamers Member

Ok thanks krischan. I dont know all the acronyms you know lol.