Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

hell ancients

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by ToastedTacoGuy, May 12, 2005.

1. ToastedTacoGuy

ToastedTacoGuy IncGamers Member

hell ancients

my meteorb is stuck on hell ancients right now. she is level 79 with maxed FO, maxed CM, maxed meteor, 10 in fireball, and 5 in FM(in the process of maxing), she also has all of the necessities like static and teleport. now to the problem. i cannot for the life of me kill the ancients, i cant even kill one. every time i get a good spawn (no fe, and only one is CI) my merc dies and then i cant kill them because the one that is CI is always FI too. i did a couple of hell meph runs and the first one happened to drop an eth vamp gaze, which my merc needed badly, but i still don't think that it is enough to save him. i have tried all the revus i can fit into my belt, but i waste so many gems cubing them and i always run out of money to buy pots because resurrecting my merc takes so much gold now. anyone have any good strats for the ancients? i know they are a pain in the rear for pretty much everyone, but anything that would make them less of a pain would make me a very happy camper.

2. Cattleya

Cattleya IncGamers Member

Well, you could just teleport around and let your merc take out the first one or two. Oh wait, I'm the only one who used Act 1 mercs with her sorceresses. :D

Okay, I'll let those with better experience help you out. I just wanted to offer up some full rejuv potions if you are willing to accept items. I get an insane number of them doing pit runs and can't *not* pick them up.

3. LordMay

LordMay IncGamers Member

I like to cast a spell like bliz or meteor on one of them before I awaken the ancients. If you have one give your merc a shaftstop. The should get him 48-50% dr with the vamp. You might want to change up his weapon also. I dont know what it is called but their is one that has a chance to cast decrep. I'm sure that would greatly help. Doing it in mp shouldn't be too bad. I'm sure lots of people need the quest too

4. JicamaEater

JicamaEater IncGamers Member

Meteor is, as far as I can tell, useless against the Ancients unless your merc can survive the time it takes for the damn thing to hit.

So, put potions on the summit, then run around, feeding your merc potions while chucking FO blindly at the ancients. Korlic (or whichever one is the leaper) (I believe) is immune to Cold, always, so run away until Madawc and Talic are dead. Then you can let your merc take the abuse, while you use meteor.

Mana Burn is actually one of the best mods you can roll, because it's not like you're going to survive having the ancients wailing on you anyway, and unlike Cursed, and many others, potions will help you lots.

Other than that...I wish you luck. It is the most exciting game fight I've played (which only says so much).

5. ToastedTacoGuy

LordMay: i currently do not have access to a Shaftstop or The Reaper's Toll and do not want them until i find them myself, so those are out.

Cattleya: potions are somehting i would gladly accept donations of, i need all i can get! if you want to send me my email is toastedtacoguy @ gmail.com

I will try and do a few bloody foothills runs tonight and see if lvl 80 will help the merc, i have a feeling it wont help that much, but it can't hurt right?

6. Cattleya

Cattleya IncGamers Member

Stash sent. Good luck!

7. HBeachBabe

HBeachBabe IncGamers Member

remember, you can activate the ancients via telekenisis, so you can position yourself where ever you want. drop meteors & blizzards on the 3 statues then click the alter to start the speech and then click off. should give some initial damage and give you a chance to start spamming whatever other spells you can. not much to suggest after that as I haven't had a sorc at hell ancients yet. should soon though...

8. ToastedTacoGuy

thanks for the stash, and thats a really good idea, will try it tomorrow. one other thing, i just found a dark adherent tonight, which has 800 defense, would this help my merc more than the crow caw he is wearing now? its just under a 300 defense difference, the only thing i would be losing is open wounds, which does some nice damage, but im not sure whether it does enough to make a difference.

9. JicamaEater

JicamaEater IncGamers Member

jiansonz and I are both huge fans of Open Wounds but I'm going to say that I honestly don't believe the damage is significant during the Ancients battle. However, a few hundered Defense is not going to make or break the battle either. Particularly for Sorceresses and Necromancers, your gear is much less important than reflexes, skills (yours and hers), luck, practice, and potions.

10. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

Best bet - use townportal to reset their mods. I think it's possible to have none of them being CI,FI. Then spam FO/meteor and teleport (not run) away from them - that will save your merc. Just don't expect the battle to be quickly over.

11. Nightfish

Nightfish IncGamers Member

Crushing blow is always nice to have. As a sorc you probably can't have it on yourself but maybe on your merc.

If I'm having serious problems I will just run / teleport to stay away from them while I whittle the non-CIs down with FO. (after the initial static field, of coruse) The teleporting is important to keep your merc alive.

12. SeDnA

SeDnA IncGamers Member

I'm in hell act1 now, I'm a light sorc. I see if I can reach ancients soon then we can help each other out =) But Travincal and GrandViser of Chaos is gonna be a big problem for me.

13. Thirty-Thirty

Thirty-Thirty IncGamers Member

I've taken a Meteorb through the Hell Ancients, although mine was level 80, and built according to Sasja's spec: 8 in Cold Mastery, so my fire skills are a bit ahead of yours.

But I don't think that'll matter much, because I did the Ancients using not much but Frozen Orb, until only one was left, when Meteor took over. The fight was pretty intense: I was drawing and dodgin Madawc's throwing axes, and using teleport to get my merc out of trouble with the other two, who stayed chilled most of the time. The fight took a good long while (longer than any other superuniques/bosses - upward of 10 minutes), but I got them down in the end. (None were FI/CI. I think I re-rolled three times - FE, Cursed, FE, then I fought.)

Keep in mind that you should focus fire on one of the barbs. Once you've killed any one of the three, the fight becomes a whole lot easier.

As far as items go, also consider a Kelpie Snare: it has hit slows monster 75%, which can almost completely remove the leaper from the fight.

Finally, don't forget to use static field if its a high enough level not to be too dangerous. And don't be afraid to cast a Town Portal to re-roll the mods.

(Side note: If you need potions, just visit Tristram. There is always a pack of Champions who, on average, give me one Full Rejuv every time. Plus some handy things might just drop there...)

14. HolyPade

HolyPade IncGamers Member

If you have problems with the amount of Rejuvs you can carry in the belt, one good trick is to just drop a few Rejuv piles around the summit and when running out/low on the belt, just telly to the closest pile and pick some up.

Good luck! :thumbsup:

15. ToastedTacoGuy

well hopefully the juvs wont be a problem anymore since cat sent me a stash of 100 full rejuvs. i guess i was expecting there to be something i was doing wrong that would make the fight so much easier, guess not. ill try again tonight, with the telekenisis trick and casting meteor on one of the ancients beforehand

16. unoplank

unoplank IncGamers Member

(edit: Sorry I see that you did beat them. Congratulations!)

TTG: I was in your same shoes yesterday with my lvl 83 Meteorb sorc. I simply could not beat the ancients and gave up, playing around with my fishymancer for awhile.

Reading this thread inspired me to beat them and that's what I did last night.

My Sorc is my highest level character and has piss poor gear (basically nothing great, but overall good gear). My merc has horrible gear too and basically died if one of the ancients looked at him.

I had to re-roll the ancients about 10 times before I got good mods (no dual fire/cold immunes). I started blasting Frozen orb until I killed the thrower and the WW guy, that took about 10-12 minutes. Then I killed off the LA guy with Fireball/Meteor. I would cast the meteors just far enough in front of me so that he got hit by them when he chased me.

I was very happy when I beat them and it took probably around 15-18 minutes total. So keep hope alive, you will beat them.

BTW, afterwards I pushed to hell baal and beat him no problem and Matriarched this morning.

17. tigercan

tigercan IncGamers Member

Shop around in town till you find a wand with life tap charges to use on switch - they're invaluable when it comes to keeping mr merc alive :)

Other than that, static & teleport till you whittle their health down enough to finish em off with your spell of choice

18. cft

cft IncGamers Member

My advice: don't count on your merc for any of the ancients

Assume that you have to kill all 3 of them.

So bad rolls are ancients with both FI/CI. Also, anything with HF or Extra Fast or Frenzy aura is bad.

To kill the ancients with blizzard, I would suggest using your cold spell first and getting rid of the one or 2 that can be killed by Cold.

But you don't have Blizzard, so I would suggest using Meteor to kill the ones that can be hurt by fire. You will need fast run boots.

Run a big circle: starting from the left edge of the plateu, run across (right) to the right edge, then head up for about a screen or ascreen and a half, then run back left to the edge, and then down to the start of the circle.

While you are runing, on the long straight left/right stretches, the ancients will basically be stright behind you. While you are running, click really quick ahoad of yourself to drop a metoer in your path, then go back to running. The metoer will land and burn. If you have time, it's nice to try to get the meteor to land right on/in front of the ancients, so they get hit by the blast.

But if you don't have time, make it land ahead, and then they will at least walk through the fire.

When your stamina runs out from constantly running, teleport all the way to the top of the screen. then stand still (behind a rock) til the ancients get close, and let your stamina recharge. if they get close and you need more time to recharge, teleport all the way to the bottom of the screen, and then recharge some more. Then go back to running in circles.

It took me over 20 minutes to kill the 2 ancients which could be hurt by fire this way. Then I just had to kill the 1 ancient who could be hurt by cold, which was a lot of shoot and run with orb.

It's very hard. Do yourself a HUGE favor and don't try on /players 8 setting. You get the same bonus from the quest on /players 1.

If you need/want to gain a few more levels, you can run Pindleskin or the lvl85 areas. Good luck