Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Hell Ancient

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by kreality, Apr 15, 2008.

1. kreality

kreality IncGamers Member

Hell Ancient

How do you guys actually beat the Hell Ancient alone in single player mode?

Even with my sorc or necromancer, I am struggling against them..

If the my caster character having trouble against them, how does the melee character would stand a chance against them? Just wondering?

and yeah, I dont really have those godly runeword as well.

2. lionheartthebrave

lionheartthebrave IncGamers Member

Re: Hell Ancient

My very first character was a summoning necro (ie "fishymancer") and he used decrep and clay golem to slow them, and a few urdar like creatures from the river of flame with CB to speed up the process

Sorcs generally try to separate them using strategic teleporting, and then picking them off on by one

Rerolling them using TP scrolls is also very popular

Good Luck!

3. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

Actually I find the Ancients more difficult with a caster. If I'm rushing, I'll swap to a Pally or a Barb usually rather than the sorceress.

Split them up. Don't try and take them all at once. Hide if necessary. Drop extra pots on the ground so you can swipe them if need be.

If you are using a sorc, use static (except on the LI obviously). That's 50% damage you don't have to do. And if all else fails .... stab them in the back with a Wizardspike.

4. stephan

stephan IncGamers Member

Life tap wand for melee chars always works wonders.

5. Noodle

Noodle Moderator

As soon as you activate them, hit Esc to pause the game. Place the cursor over one of them, and briefly unfreeze and refreeze the game. Do this for all three, so you can check out their mod's and judge whether you'll need to reroll them by going back to town.

Once you have a trio you feel you can take, try to isolate them as much as possible and take them on one by one. You may wish to prepare the area by strewing about full rejuvenation potions on the ground, so you can replenish your belt's supply by simply running over them without having to engage in lengthy manual restocking.

For your sorc, if you find one of the old geezers is immune to your elemental damage of choice, try using telekinesis to momentarily daze them and back them up against a piller, while your trusty merc pokes away.

With proper preparation and tactics, they are very killable. Best of luck to you!

- Noodle

Edit: Dang, I'm slow!

6. nobes

nobes IncGamers Member

Nice tip about pausing the game to check out monsters mods. I always have trouble checking out mods in the heat of battle. This should come in handy.

thanks Noodle :thumbsup:

7. phaolo

phaolo IncGamers Member

Uu I never thought I could do that!
    That is very useful to avoid the Fire Enchanted guys too
    Nice tip :laugh:

8. bassen

bassen IncGamers Member

as a Bonemancer I found them very, very easy. More difficult to me are those ¤%&# burning souls in WSK/Act4...

With my bony I filled almost all spacees with bonewall before I read the scroll in the middle. When they came to live they could move, neither could my merc ^^ so his medi-aura made me able to hyper-spam B-spirit/spears. I killed them all within a 2 minutes, mabye under 1 IIRC.

The WW must be killed first since he can WW thorugh bones -.-. and the the jumper thing last the range...

9. Throndhart

Throndhart IncGamers Member

Usually, the best tactic to take on the ancients is the following:
    1) Take on them one at a time, if you can. Otherwise, you may get chewed to bits.
    2) Take on Madawc (the axe-thrower) first. He uses shout on the rest, boosting their armor and thus making them tougher, and is the one with the least life, so he dies far quicker than Talic or Korlic. This makes the other two easier.
    3) Watch out for Korlic´s Leap Attack. It deals a ton of damage, and he usually hits you with it as you´re attacking one of his companions. If he attacks in straight up melee, he teds to hit for little damage, so this shouldn´t worry you to much.
    4) Talic is probably the toughest of the bunch, at least for physical-based characters. I prefer to leave him last, so that it can be me and my merc vs. him, and because the quicker you kill one of the ancients, the easier the fight gets, therefore attacking the toughest of them tends to be a bad tactic. Also, for necromancers, remember that, as per the Arreat Summit:

"Talic is Fire Enchanted so Necromancers can take advantage of this enchantment by using a Fire Golem and Iron Maiden. Talic will take damage from the curse and the Golem will be healed by the Fire Damage. Talic will eventually kill himself."

10. corax

corax IncGamers Member

if your a caster just don't stop running and spamming your kill spell. its easy really. no matter the mods
    for melee a few handy hints. use the pillars. madawc cant hit you through them and korlic cant leap over them (same doesnt work the stairs from ancients way he can and will jump it) as long as you keep moving behind the pillars to keep one or both of them away you will win

Also slow and cold damage of any description is awesome on madawc. otherwise u spend half the fight just running after him:thumbsup: