Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Heaven vs. Hell - Diablo 3 storyline concepts

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Aranock, Apr 28, 2008.

1. Aranock

Aranock IncGamers Member

Heaven vs. Hell - Diablo 3 storyline concepts

Most agree in saying that Diablo 3 will involve a confrontation of heaven vs hell in one aspect or another (prequel or sequel).

I haven't seen many theories on how people think this would actually be seen in game. For instance, Diablo 2 was about the slow corruption of our hero in Diablo 1, and our a new hero from Diablo 2 tracking him and the other evils throughout 5 main territories.

So assuming it's a battle of :innocent: vs :devil: (in a NON-Mmorpg style please - as it is easy to imagine and has been discussed a LOT), do you think that the gameplay will be devided into acts? A 3-D optional arial view? Perhaps it will pan out similar to that of Diablo 1 - meaning one geographical location? Will the game contain just one primary Boss like Diablo and quests along the way, or do you think it will have muliple bosses like Diablo 2 (I.E. 3 Prime Evils, Lesser evils, etc)?

Let's see some theories!! The more details the better :fortuneteller:

2. Dorfoumous

Dorfoumous IncGamers Member

Re: Heaven vs. Hell - Diablo 3 storyline concepts

my theory was in another thread..

Tryreal..becomes the one whom you fight against, and all of this time, he was the true diablo and the others were "lesser evils" and by destroying them you have made him more powerful and ever before.

It would add a good twist to the game..and explain why Tyreal didn't do anything, and why he pretty much just used you as a pawn.

Or maybe something that Tyreal has diablo soulstone, and shoved it in forehead...and became evil.

IMHO: A prequel would be dumb.

3. ChrisF

ChrisF IncGamers Member

I dont think Tyreal could be the bad guy, I mean, it would just be too cliche, good guy kills Diablo, good guy tries to contain Diablo, good guy loses and becomes Diablo, so you have already had the good guy become the bad guy. I think Diablo will be back, I think it has been discussed that the prime evils were not killed, just banished back to the darkness they came from. After all, if Tyreal is gonna be the bad guy it wouldnt be Diablo 3, it would be "Tyreal". Its like making Terminator 4 with no Terminator or Spider-man 4 with no Spider-man. No point naming a game after a character that isnt in it. And just out of interest, what would corrupt Tyreal? The hero was corrupted but jamming Diablo's soulstone into his forehead.

I know the main boss in Diablo 2 was Baal but that was when the expansion came out, he was the main bad guy up until his big bro came along.
    Just my opinion.

4. Dorfoumous

Dorfoumous IncGamers Member

I said...Tyreal is the real diablo...all along..and the other Diablo's or whatever were just some lesser evil that wasn't really diablo..

At any rate: after thinking about it this Heaven VS Hell thing sounds a lot like an MMO.

5. Aranock

Aranock IncGamers Member

If you think about it, it's always been about heaven vs. hell behind the scene's of all of the Diablo games. The player just see's a certain part of it. Whether or not they continue to keep it in the background, or make it part of the new game is to be seen though.

Keep the ideas flowing! :thumbsup:

6. ChrisF

ChrisF IncGamers Member

Tyreal and diablo have a fight in tal rashas tomb and he gets his butt kicked (ok, he had baals help). If Tyreal was the real Diablo how would you explain Mephisto and Baal not noticing? I dont mean to be argumentative, I just think they will continue the story with diablo, baal, mephi and maybe some new friends.

If they do heaven vs hell I think it would be a prequel as heaven and hell have already had a few battles, and there is already a background story there (Izual etc..)

7. korialstraz

korialstraz IncGamers Site Pal

I doubt Tyreal is the bad guy. The reason he don't interfere is because he is denied it, part from the pact made between High Heavens and Burning Hells, and I think because the Angiris council denied it as well.

The games have been a fight between Heavens and Hell all along, and it's dome behind the scenes. Anyone who have read the Sin Wars will know that by how the Angel (Inarius) and Demons (Luciun, Diablo, Mephisto and the other ones) worked behind the scenes as curches/cathedrals to draw people to their cause.

If D3 is a sequel and a Heaven vs Hell topic, I think it will still be behind the scenes since a direct confrontation on Sanctuary will most likely end in it's destruction. Either that or we will see a prequel of some sort (maybe the Sin War?), in which case the confrontation will start out as behind the scenes and escalate into a direct confrontation.

In any case I hope the game will be really great and with more storry/lore to it than D2.

8. CarsV

CarsV Banned

I don't want to see Tyrael get corrupted or anything. I'm tired of the good always seeming weak and easily corruptible. It's cliche and it'll just be Izual Version 2.0.

9. Menarus

Menarus IncGamers Member

I agree with most of what was said here.

In another light, responding to the comment made about the diablo we've been fighting has been a lesser evil disguised. I could sort of see that, if you've read the books that actually feature diablo (I beleive the last of the three sin war books and the kingdom of shadow, he was mentioned in the warlord of blood although that doen'st support my argument here) you'll know that diablo doesn't actually have a form. He merely appears as the viewer fears, including himself when hes reflection was turned against him. Therefore... it is plausable, I'm not saying that its going to happen, merely commenting on the possiblity, that he could infact assume the form of Tyrael. Hell, even mephisto did it for a moment in one of the d2 cutscenes, the earlier ones I beleive, when he spoke with marius. It woudln't be that hard anyway... all the angels are pretty similar... generally some hooded form lacking any features, dressed in armor, and with threaded wings.

10. PerfectFifth

PerfectFifth IncGamers Member

ANYTHING can happen. I mean, Blizzard set themselves up for the next game PERFECTLY with one simple fact that was stated repeatedly, even by Tyrael:

No one knows what will happen when the Worldstone is destroyed.

11. Sepdick

Sepdick IncGamers Member

Oh yeah, and what happened when we did destroy it?

We had to finish the game all over again, only everything is better.

I never really understood what happens after he destroys the worldstone in hell... The entire universe disappears and everyone moves to d2jsp?

12. SiTro

SiTro IncGamers Member

Didn't the forces of Heaven prefer to just destroy Sanctuary when they discovered its existence? To the extent that Sanctuary had to be protected from both Heaven and Hell for humanitys protection?

If so, the third game could have both Heaven and Hell battling over Sanctuary, but the player aligned with neither. Heaven trying to correct the mistake and destroy Sanctuary, Hell trying to take it over to make it an outpost in their struggle against Heaven.

The player would take the role of a human hero trying to stop both sides and maintain the security of Sanctuary.

13. korialstraz

korialstraz IncGamers Site Pal

That's what the Sin Wars is about SiTro :wink2:

SPOILER!

In the 3 books, the hero goes through a journy being played as a fool by Lillith before he finds out what/who she is. Lillith had convinced him to come with here disguised as a cute girl and she awakened the heroes power (his birthright). Towards the end of the book the High Heavens discover Sanctuary and is invading it to prevent the Burning Hells to convert the humans to their cause and use it as an outpost in the struggle against the Angels. The hero ofc prevents this and after some discussion both Demons and Angels decide to leave Sanctuary alone... but only for so long :grin:

You may want to read this and this if you havn't allready. Has lots of good theories, background stories and references to the Sin Wars :smiley:

14. stillman

stillman IncGamers Member

As for the geography of D3, I figgure they will follow the pattern already set: D2 expanded to multiple biomes (desert, junglem taundra, etc), so D3 might expand to different worlds or plains. I think it woud be nice if your chr can go to the plain of fire, but he/she would need lots of fire res or immunity so survive very long there. Or, if your chr dies, he/she goes to the Land of the Dead and has to beat several acts to get back to the world of the living, with all gear turning to eth.

15. boogyman19946

boogyman19946 IncGamers Member

wow, if that is going to be diablo III by any means it is going to be more nerve wracking than D2 and D1 were combined.

Wouldn't it be funny if it came out Diablo had a child? lol, let's say he ganged up with Lillith or Andariel and they got a child that no one knows about. Of course, they are dead now, but the child is already born. Now, what happens next is, before our character enters the portal opened by Tyrael, she/he hears a cry of the baby. It is too young at the moment to know what has happened and has some kind of powers that he cannot control.

NOW, here is where the struggle comes in. The character decides not to enter the portal unless he takes that kid with him. Tyrael doesn't allow him to as he is afraid he will create chaos, so our hero decides to stay with the child, but asks Tyrael to move him to an alien planet where the kids appearence wouldn't be awkward. When that child grows up, it starts to ask questions blah blah blah, it turns against us and we gotta fight it.

This has about 0.000000005% chance of happening and that's not exactly what i think will happen. I'm just saying it'd be pretty hilarious cause it'd be very ironic. I mean everyone has expected some old as heck cliche but here we got something totally unexpected (even though still a bit of a cliche).

16. Drakk

Drakk IncGamers Member

Not sure of how Blizz will go about telling the story, but one thing I do believe will happen is fighting hordes of resurrected Barbs. The same Barbarians who were honored with a burial on Mount Arreat will now be the ones trying to prevent us from entering Hell through the World Stone crater.

Also, after slaying Mephisto, Diablo and Baal, they were likely sent back to the Dark Abyss and possibly merged together when re-entering Hell. This might be an alternative to the Belial theory of the three "mouths" on Diablo/Belial. <--(Probably mentioned before)

17. TheDarkSide

TheDarkSide Clan Officer - US East Hardcore

This thread needs some theme music ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZePQxqrL2t4

Ok now that being said , I dont think Blizzard is going to go with the corrupted Tyreal route like a lot of people seem to think . Its just too predictable and Imo boring . Tyreal is one of the GOOD characters and should stay that way till the end . I can see Diablo making a comeback though and that demon in the trailer seems to suggest it just might be ...

I think they could go anyway they want with this though as Tyreal said once the Worldstone was destroyed no one knows what will happen ..

Ps - I really need to order the Sin Wars books and read them ..

18. Kiroptus

Kiroptus IncGamers Member

Well the official site does say that you will also fight the "fallen illuminaries from heaven".

I hope heaven isnt all light and good as well, there should be something more sinister whithin them. Infact maybe they the light doesnt represent good at all but more like the "right" choice even if its not good for the humans (like their destruction, after all it was a human that helped diablo the most, Lazarus, then the hero who got corrupted, maybe humans are just a source of corruption way too easy to be corrupted by demons and because of that they cant continue living in the eyes of the heavens).

Maybe the demons represent the ugly truth of our sins and the heavens represent the clouding of our knowledge. Maybe now humans have way too much control over magic and its ancient mysteries since the worldstone has been destroyed and the heavens are not happy with that.

The big meteor filled with demons also came from the heavens, maybe there is an alliance between heaven and hell. Plus no character so far seem to have any connection to the light, they all seem more toward dark-neutral aligment.

Whatever I am just rambling I just hope that there is more to the heavens then it actually looks.

19. Rancors

Rancors Banned

fighting tyrael? no.

fighting inarius? possibly.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2009