Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Healing in D3, what about...

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by sirroman, Sep 5, 2010.

1. sirroman

sirroman Diabloii.Net Member

Healing in D3, what about...

Do you guys think Blizz won't make possible ANY healing in D3? Maybe they could make a similar approach like with D2's Paladin, that had only ONE skill that could heal (ok, 2 with auras and 4 with auras + synergy).

I ask because I really found interesting the Cleric variant, and without wide-spread potioning it could be a viable option without breaking the game nor removing the "I can solo" appeal that they want to bring in the game.

They could also give every class a healing skill, it would be less interesting I believe, but it could work

So, Healing in D3, what about it? What about only one to make it all?

2. Telzen

Telzen Diabloii.Net Member

Re: Healing in D3, what about...

I think health globes and potions are enough. No need for skills that can heal.

3. Apocalypse

Apocalypse Diabloii.Net Member

problem with healing is balance. usually you get to a point where it is required or worthless. in a game like D2 i hope it stays to the side of worthless i dont want to have to find a healer

4. blackbisket

blackbisket Diabloii.Net Member

Im guessing the monk might get something, but I agree with Telzen that "health globes and potions are enough."

5. Thrakhath

Thrakhath Diabloii.Net Member

In Diablo 2 it was neither needed nor worthless, and a cleric build was a lot of fun.

I think they should bring back the paladin and/or the necromancer in the expansion, and give one of them a healing skill.

6. GrimDark

GrimDark Diabloii.Net Member

You don't need to bring back a class in order to allow a healing skill. Actually the witch doctor might have some room for a single healing skill(affects all members in party, to heal minions) and the 5th class if ranged might too. Healing is best left to non-melee units which is why i was confused when i saw it on the paladin in D2, doesn't mean it doesn't work, although it largely didn't, but it makes more sense for casters to have it.

7. FrenchToast

FrenchToast Diabloii.Net Member

I think a pure cleric class would be ridiculously boring to play, in any game, because it's always much more fun to chase monsters around with your big whacky stick. Giving a few classes a healing spell might work, but unless it's REALLY needed, I don't see it being used too much.

8. Thrakhath

Thrakhath Diabloii.Net Member

I made a pure cleric in Diablo 2 for a LAN game, and had a lot of fun with it.

The best use would be for a class with minions to heal, so that the spell could still be useful in single player.

9. sirroman

Guys, you forget that even in D&D cleric is a very strong class, it can fight both melee and ranged, it can use armor, it can use spells, it can heal on top of that.

I don't think ONE skill would break the game, like it didn't with D2. And this time they have a second chance to make it better, make it work even more at least in HC, heck, even in SC it could be useful by making a specific group make less stops to heal for example. Heal wouldn't be something NECESSARY nor WORTHLESS, it would just be useful because it would mean: less risk, more speed, more exp, more drops, better economy build up on a guild/clan. Just my thoughts ^^.

10. Technomancer

Technomancer Diabloii.Net Member

That's always been my position: A Cleric need not be just a "healer" class. You could even create a Cleric (using the D&D title/archetype) that has no, or nearly no, healing (many specialty priests don't even have healing spells). Buffs and debuffs (that would also increase it's own killing power, not just allies), direct damage against the forces of evil, special skills, and even a usable amount of physical battle prowess would all make for a complete, usable, solo-able damage dealer+ that can add a bit more strategy than most characters seem readily capable of at the moment. Of course, this thread is about a "healing" class, which, yeah, wouldn't work.

11. themeros

themeros Diabloii.Net Member

That would go against the design of Diablo 3. All classes have main roles and are DPS. Why waste time healing when you could be killing?

That aside, the Cleric concept is interesting indeed, but in other RPGs, specially MMOs.

12. sirroman

No no, it's about a "healing skill". If they could use a similar approach like they did in D2, just to leave more room for player to make crazy builds.

OH! just one idea: what about they making one skill turn into heal through a rune?

13. Goldwrap

Goldwrap Diabloii.Net Member

I agree with the op i would like to see at least one character who is able to heal another, while the same skill could be used offensively - just like holybolt but more awesomerererre!

14. Technomancer

Yeah, it is about a skill, got mixed up. :thumbsup: I think it would be nice if classes each had some unique healing skill so there was a middle ground between chugging pots (which is gonna be toned way down this time out) and staying beat up from the last encounter until you kill something else to get some life orbs.

I always thought Holy Bolt got the shaft. Only affects Undead? Really?! It wouldn't do anything to A DEMONIC MINION OF HELL?!! Umm... At least it hit Big D in the first game.

15. sirroman

@technomancer: But... If it hit demons and undead... What couldn't it hit? locusts? =P

16. Technomancer

If it would hit demons and undead, it wouldn't hit animals, which would still give a drawback, but it wouldn't be completely useless anymore. I mean, come on, it's a Holy Bolt, it should do SOMETHING to things from hell! :D