Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Headstriker worth upgrading?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Nesjan, Dec 29, 2017.

1. Nesjan

Nesjan Diabloii.Net Member

Im playing Nightmare Baal at the moment just getting ready to go in to Hell, my weapon is currently Headstriker and i just found a Pul rune and now have the recipe, seeing as i am playing untwinked single player Pul and Lum runes (especially Pul) dont exactly fall out of the sky, is the Headstriker a viable Hell weapon once upgraded with its 100% Deadly Strike?

2. pharphis

pharphis Diabloii.Net Site Pal

iirc it doesn't get a huge bonus in dmg but if you have the reqs and don't plan to replace it with something better, easily, in the near future then why not? Pul isn't so hard once you get to hell countess.

3. drmalawi

drmalawi Diabloii.Net Member

upped headstriker was the first weapon I finished hell untwinked with a barb.
    I would consider it worthy of upgrading

4. GalaXyHaXz

GalaXyHaXz Diabloii.Net Member

Definitely not a bad choice to upgrade. An eth upped headstriker is one of the best weapons for act 5 Merc due to the damage formula. It does even more damage than grief!

If you don't have anything else on hand, you could up it until you get to countess. Then farm a few mid runes for some of the lesser runeword (honor and spirit are both good).

ioupainmax likes this.
  5. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

When playing untwinked, there's not just the problem of limited quality, but also of having few choices, so you have to do something with what you have, except you want to make a thousand nightmare meph/baal/whatever runs. I think that an upped Headstriker is a good weapon for hell. Investing the Pul rune is a good thing.

To the off-topic part:

No, it doesn't. An upped, ethereal headstriker on let's say a L90 merc will deal 517 damage on average which includes its 100% DS. In contrast, even the lowest ethereal Grief colossus sword does an average damage of 571 (a noneth one deals about 54 less), with its 20% DS included as well. Adding more DS (gear, character levels) will increase the difference because there's no benefit from having more then 100% which you reach at L67 with a Headstriker. Beyond that, a Headstriker doesn't offer anything but PMH while Grief has at least 30% IAS plus ITD, PMH, 25% enemy defense and a nice bonus to demons.

6. ioupainmax

ioupainmax Diabloii.Net Member

For Barbarian Mercs (copied and pasted from the basin): The weapon damage of one-handed swords is doubled (this includes Minimum Damage and Maximum Damage bonuses, but excludes Damage + like that of the Grief Rune Word).

7. okey

okey Diabloii.Net Member

More on this subject here: https://www.diabloii.net/forums/threads/clarification-needed-with-a5-barb-merc.955931/

It's proven that A5 Merc gets a hidden buff when wielding 1-handed sword as opposed to 2-handed ones. This in effect makes Eth Headstriker the top dog in terms of DPS as opposed to all the rest, for A5 mercs anyways.

8. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

OK, so it would be 873 damage on an act 5 merc then, that's clearly more raw damage. I still would prefer a Grief weapon, however, for the mentioned reasons.

Apart from being OT, the matter is academic. Regarding weapons that are closer to the value or rarity of a Pul rune, Doombringer seems to be better as well and before spending a Lo rune on a merc, I would rather search my mules for a decent sword (and probably find a Doombringer or two). Among stuff being worth as much as a Lo rune, I would rather choose a Death CS.

Edit: I just checked my stashes. No Doombringer! No Headstriker! However, I found enough material for BotD, Grief, half a Last Wish and three Death runewords :).

Edit 2: I don't know what went through my head when considering Doombringer as equal. Did I forget that it cannot be ethereal?

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
  9. Nesjan

Nesjan Diabloii.Net Member

Thanks for your replies, i upgraded it and its working well!

Gynli and drmalawi like this.