He finally went and did it (watch out all you darn foreigners!) de

Hippie Holocost

Diabloii.Net Member
He finally went and did it (watch out all you darn foreigners!)

Well I've been thinking about it for a long time now, and during the past few weeks I've made my decision.

Dave has started the process of joining the Army.

I took my Apptitude test this morning and scored a 95%, so I'm scheduled for my physical next week. I'm still trying to decide what field to go into (most likely Military Intelligence) and was hoping any military people here might have some suggestions.

*sticks bayonet in keyboard*

jlkadfgaiohrgaioj;fhakmlafhigo;tealwslkdg
 

DurfBarian

Diabloii.Net Member
Hippie Holocost said:
Military Intelligence
Ha ha ha ha, good one man. :lol:

Just kidding . . . Best of luck to you and may you dodge all the interservice rivalry crap that's about to get flung at you, especially if Sarge and R++ find this thread. :D
 

Hippie Holocost

Diabloii.Net Member
SilentMagik said:
So.. where are you from?
Just wondering if I should consider myself warned.. ;)

Anyway good luck.
I'm from Louisiana, so I guess anyone within say...50 yards is in danger once I get through learning how to fire a gun and all that. As far as countries go, if yer not a AmeRican, you's gots to go...


Oh here's a side note, and probably immature question; Even if I work strictly in intel, Do I still get to have a sidearm? That would be pretty cool...
 

Dredd

D3 Off Topic Moderator
Hippie Holocost said:
Military Intelligence
Dave Mustaine has forever destroyed the meaning of those two words for me. :lol:

Good luck to you though! Just remember that if Fort OTF comes under fire, you have to come save us ... I was going to say "come save us RAMBO STYLE" but if memory serves, he was a marine.

... or was it a movie character ... hmmm :scratch:

I have zero military experience myself, but if given a choice, I would go into whatever branch I had to in order to get my hands on one of those awesome OICWs. I want to shoot one of those things badly.

Keep in touch. :)
 

Hippie Holocost

Diabloii.Net Member
Dredd said:
Dave Mustaine has forever destroyed the meaning of those two words for me. :lol:

Good luck to you though! Just remember that if Fort OTF comes under fire, you have to come save us ... I was going to say "come save us RAMBO STYLE" but if memory serves, he was a marine.

... or was it a movie character ... hmmm :scratch:

I have zero military experience myself, but if given a choice, I would go into whatever branch I had to in order to get my hands on one of those awesome OICWs. I want to shoot one of those things badly.

Keep in touch. :)

Honestly I would have perfered the Navy but they wouldn't accept me because of a condition I have on my leg called Prodeus Syndrome. I'm happy with my choice though, I'm hoping that any experience gained in the Army will open up career oppurtunites with the CIA and....possibly....politics?

And I will gladly defend the OTF from all of its enemies. Those GOD DAMN RED ALERT WESTWOOD SONS OF *****ES!!!!!!!
 

Hippie Holocost

Diabloii.Net Member
Yaboosh said:
So I am guessing Dian Brax ain't doing so great?

Nah (thought I posted that) I got in a fight with the guitarist about the musical direction. Long story short, we both whined, cried, and then I quit.

I would like to say though that my company White Noise Productions is doing very well at this point, however the area I was heading (adverstising/booking) wasn't as popular as our recording and general managing, so there wasn't much point in me being around full-time. And on top of all of that, the Army fits more with what I want to do with my life. I'm realizing everyday that music, while its a passion, is just a hobby. Government service and politics is where my heart really lies.
 

Anakha1

Banned
I dunno how it is in the American army but here you can't join military intelligence until you've been in the military for a while. Security reasons and whatnot. And I'd doubt if you got a sidearm. Some officers carry them. No grunts do. Only MPs do. Of course, that's up here so it may be different. Military intelligence the world over, however, is almost universally done at a desk. It's not the CIA and it's nothing like being a spy. It's sitting at a computer and plotting grid coordinates and updating maps among other paper-pushing tasks.

It sounds like you may have some false notions of military service from watching too many hollywood movies. My suggestion is to get some more realistic assessments from people who are in the trade that you're looking at.
 

Hippie Holocost

Diabloii.Net Member
Anakha1 said:
I dunno how it is in the American army but here you can't join military intelligence until you've been in the military for a while. Security reasons and whatnot. And I'd doubt if you got a sidearm. Some officers carry them. No grunts do. Only MPs do. Of course, that's up here so it may be different. Military intelligence the world over, however, is almost universally done at a desk. It's not the CIA and it's nothing like being a spy. It's sitting at a computer and plotting grid coordinates and updating maps among other paper-pushing tasks.

It sounds like you may have some false notions of military service from watching too many hollywood movies. My suggestion is to get some more realistic assessments from people who are in the trade that you're looking at.
No I know what the certain career fields require and what is expected of me.

There are two that I have in mind.

1.) Intelligence Analyst. Major duties include supervising, performing, or coordinates intelligence.

Skill level (1) Prepares all-source intelligence products to support the combat commander. Assists in establishing and maintaing systematic, cross-referenced intelligence records and files. Recieves and processes incoming reports and messages. Assists in determing significance and reliability of incoming information. Assists in intergrating incoming information with current intelligence holdings and prepares and maintains the situation map. Assists in the analysis and evalutaion of intelligence holdings to determine changes in enemy capabilities, vulnerabilities, and probably course of action.

2.) Counter-Intelligence. Primarily repsonsible for supervising and conducting counterintelligence surveys and investigations of individuals, organizations, installations and activities in order to detect, assess and counter threats to national security.

I understand that I don't get to drive around a BMW with dual rocket launchers and 6 disc changer, I actually have read up on what I'm considering to do.

Perhaps I was being.....a.....GASP......smartass earlier...
 

Anakha1

Banned
Hippie Holocost said:
I understand that I don't get to drive around a BMW with dual rocket launchers and 6 disc changer, I actually have read up on what I'm considering to do.
I hear you need to work for the British to do that. And they only drive Aston Martins.

Have you checked on the requirements to get into those fields? I know in our army you won't even be considered for intelligence until you've spent a good amount of time in another trade.
 

Hippie Holocost

Diabloii.Net Member
Anakha1 said:
I hear you need to work for the British to do that. And they only dive Aston Martins.

Have you checked on the requirements to get into those fields? I know in our army you won't even be considered for intelligence until you've spent a good amount of time in another trade.
From what I understand from my recruiter and the internet I have 9 weeks of basic training. Then since most of what I'm doing is classified I'll have to go through a series of background checks on me and my family. Then its another 10-24 weeks of training for my specific field. He said that with scores like mine I should have no problem getting into that field.

Just have to figure out how to hide my uncle, Earl "Needle Nose" Huguenel, from the military radar. Damn relatives and their creole mafia...
 
Just so you know, Hippie (and I'm not saying you should change your mind--you sound excited and that's great!), you can get a job with the CIA without military experience. I have a friend there, one at DIA and another just about to take a job with DoD. None have military experience.
 

Necrolestes

Diabloii.Net Member
Left, right, left, right, up, down, side-to-side, now do the hokie-pokie

All I can say is: God help us all.:)

On a serious note, congrats Hippie. I hope you can get the job you want.
 

LunarSolaris

Diabloii.Net Member
Congrats to you Hippie, but sorry about the band. I had wondered that as I read your first post as well, but you've answered that question already...

I hope that you are able to find your true calling.
 

Hippie Holocost

Diabloii.Net Member
DrunkCajun said:
Just so you know, Hippie (and I'm not saying you should change your mind--you sound excited and that's great!), you can get a job with the CIA without military experience. I have a friend there, one at DIA and another just about to take a job with DoD. None have military experience.

I was thinking of joining the military before I realized I could go into that field. Once I learned that I was able to do intelligence in the military, I looked at it as an oppurtunity to launch myself into the CIA or NSA. Military serivice is going to happen, and luckily I am qualified for that field.

Edit: And for any solidiers out there, can someone explain the difference between a MOS and a regular enlisted solidier? I found what the acronym stands for but not if it has any benifits or anything like that.
 

AeroJonesy

Diabloii.Net Member
Even if you only do a short tour in the army, I think a lot of people look favorably upon it later in life. It shows that you learned discipline and responsibility as well as a heap of other things. I commend your decision.
 

gismo

Diabloii.Net Member
I suggest you get Airborne put in your contract at MEPS. That is unless you are terrified of jumping out of a plane. If you don’t get it in your contract it will be very hard to obtain an open slot later and you will regret it later. IMO.

As far as the requirements goes of intelligence analyst you will have to obtain a top secret security clearance. A lot of jobs require a security clearance but for 96b you need a top secret one. Which is no biggie. Just don’t tell any lies or hide anything and make sure your references know that they will be getting questioned.

A MOS is your job such as intelligence analyst or cook or MP. Everyone in the army has a MOS. Now there is a difference in enlisted and commissioned. I’m currently in the process of putting together my OCS packet and I go to MEPS this weekend for my physical. My advice for you is to get in the best shape possible now. You should be able to meet the running, push-up and sit-up requirements of basic before you even go in. That way in basic training you can focus more on the mental and team aspect instead of they physical aspect as much.
 
Top