Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

HCL Assassin Hybrid Build, Need Feedback

Discussion in 'Assassin' started by trafalgar-zero, May 21, 2008.

1. trafalgar-zero

trafalgar-zero IncGamers Member

HCL Assassin Hybrid Build, Need Feedback

I just came back from a long absence from Diablo and decided to try my luck at HCL. My first attempt was a Summon Druid which made it to 26 then I got bored. My next character is an Assassin. Originally my build for the assassin was going to be:
    20 Shadow Master
    20 Venom
    20 Fade
    20 Death Sentry
    rest into claw master and weapon block
    I like summons in Diablo 2, but I dont' care much for necromancers... :shocked:

After meeting Diablo at level 30 and almost dieing. I literally had 10 life after he hit. So I thought of what would allow me to kill Diablo without falling to his melee attacks. Traps were first on my list, though before I quit I played the well known Lightning Trapper build and didn't care much for it. I went ahead and picked up Lightning Sentry and after many mana potions I splatted Diablo.

My main concerns are, I know my tastes haven't changed and I know i don't want to stand around casting Lightning Sentry all day. I have an idea but since my experience with Assassins is limited I decided to try here for feedback.

My idea is to make a Hybrid Assassin with the following skills.
    20 Lightning Sentry
    20 Shadow Master
    20 Death Sentry (corpse explosion will be helpful later)
    20 Wake of Inferno
    11 Fade (after 11 the resistance is not worth the point IMO)
    1 Cloak of the Shadows (nice for large groups)
    9 prerequisites

The idea is to be able to kill lightning immunes later in game with Wake of Inferno. Use corpse explosion from Death Sentry in Nightmare and Hell to help kill. Fortunately Death Sentry is a synergy for both Wake of Inferno and Lightning Sentry. My doubts come to:
    1) Hell Games killing ability with either Lightning Sentry or Wake of Inferno. With hard skill points LS damage comes to 3-1142 and WoI comes to 678-790.
    2) Range of Wake of Inferno

I plan on using a Prayer Mercenary with an Insight Polearm.

Any feedback is appreciated

Thanks
    Royal_Mist HCLE

2. Scudstorm

Scudstorm IncGamers Member

Re: HCL Assassin Hybrid Build, Need Feedback

Wake of Inferno is somewhat weak. Its graphic looks like it's getting you some nice and round fire dmg, but the actual fire jet is very thin (much thinner than the graphics show you). So you'll end up more or less hitting nothing at all vs any moving target.

Your setup does not include any martial skills. Is it intentional and you don't like them? If not, I suggest put those 20 points of Wake of Inferno into Dragon Talon instead. With some Crushing Blow, Openwounds and Venom, it kills single targets pretty fast. And you'll have your first corpse to start your CE chain with Death Sentry.

Also,I don't know if you're aware of it, use Death Sentry as your main trap if you max out only Lightning Sentry and Death Sentry on the Lightning side. Don't count on its lightning damage, it's just icing. Corpse explosion is what you're after.

Don't forget your 1 point in Mindblast, especially if you're HC.

3. BIGeyedBUG

BIGeyedBUG IncGamers Member

Just in case you didn't know it already, Fire Blast with those same 40 points in LS+DS synergizing it is a lot more powerful than WoI. And this is coming from somebody who loves WoI.

And as candles on the cake, FB would improve your DS as well.

4. trafalgar-zero

trafalgar-zero IncGamers Member

Looks like some great advice. I took what you told me and remade the build as follows.

Traps
    20 Death Sentry
    20 Lightning Sentry
    20 Fire Blast
    2 Prerequisites

Shadow Disciplines
    20 Shadow Master
    11 Fade
    1 Cloak of Shadows
    1 Mind Blast
    5 Prerequisites

Martial Arts
    6 Dragon Talon (I've never used this skill before, not sure how it works, but I will search the forums after i post this)

Never really played with a kicker beyond a Dragon Flight Assassin I made for fun once. Let me know if I'm getting anything that looks decent.

Thanks

5. YogiRat

YogiRat IncGamers Member

I am by no means a sin expert, but having recently guardianed one on an untwinked HC team and being one of the three survivors, I feel my words may have some value.

First, fire blast up's the number of Death Sentrys in multiples of three, plus only hard points count as synergies. Think 12,15,18 points here. Also, there is sweet spot for shadow master and it happens to be 17 just like the Valk. Another 3 points saved.

What to do with those extra 5-9 points? A point into Wake of Fire, this one point wonder is so handy in normal. Too bad it's value diminishes through the game because it's inherent weakness, the lack of scaling damage. Or does it? Run across a double boss pack of gloams in hell wsk and one might think differently about this skill. It also is a req for Blade Fury, the ultimate one point wonder for sins. Malice, Black, you name the runeword or weapon, they all work with this skill. It's not just for OKs anymore.:laugh: BTW, a skill change can be as simple as a weapon switch.

The rest of the points? A few more into fade, just for the damage reduction and at least 5 or more points into mindblast. MB will save your life when the going gets tough.

hope this helps, Yogi