Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

HC Zealots???

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Sukkoi19, Mar 19, 2004.

1. Sukkoi19

Sukkoi19 IncGamers Member

HC Zealots???

Im curious how doable this build is for HC. The Zealot is my absolute favorite build, They were my first two Pats, but both of them died at least twice throughout the game. Im still trying to figure out some of their deaths to this day. But anyway, is the Zealot an alright build for HC, or am I setting myself up for lots of frustration and disappointment.

As a side note, I do have really good gear to give to him. Pretty much everything that is recommended in the guide in the Paladin forum. Thanks in advance.

2. Derrick1001

Derrick1001 IncGamers Member

I have a zealot about lvl 73ish in softcore right now. It's pretty viable. The only thing is, those damn curse wielding mages. IM on a zealot will kill him before the curse animation even gets over his head. So, avoid that at all costs. Aside from that, it's as viable a melee build as there can be for HC.

3. DX-Crawler

DX-Crawler Banned

I have just made a Zealot Guardian. The largest problem is to deal with OK in my oppinion. You will need some kind of ranged weapon like Buriza or something like that. In normal i used a Sky strike and in nightmare I used an Upgraded Sky Strike. In hell that one wasn't strong enough so i used Gimmershred (unique Flying Axe) but a better suggestion would be Buriza or an upgraded buriza.

Beware of the FE monsters as well I let my merc handle with those.
    Hope this helps and good luck

DX

4. farting bob

farting bob Banned

well, they can certainly killwell, but as all melee characters suffer from HC death. you should be ok unless you get cursed mid fight and dont realise until too late. as others have said, beware chaos sanct. and WSK lvls, as oblivion knights can spawn here and they do IM whcih on a hard hitign charcter or a zealot mid zeal its a insta-kill. have some vengence (with a low dmg weapon, as IM only does melee phys) or a ranged attack as backup in these areas.

5. strijdje

strijdje IncGamers Member

i have 1 guardian and 2 pats :thumbsup:

so it doable;)

6. Takis

Takis IncGamers Member

Zealots are great, but the FE bug in Hell will get you if you are not careful. Hope they get it fixed soon, in the meantime stay away from Fire Enhance Monsters. Like DX-Crawler said, keep a burrito close to you when you get to hell for the FE Monsters.

Good luck.
    Takis El_Greco)

7. colony

colony IncGamers Member

A HC zealot is easily doable if you can get a good enough weapon. I have one in Act4 hell at the moment and i just cant kill things quickly enough. The obvious causes of death have already been stated (IM curse and FE bosses), and apart from this the only other major problem is being frozen.

8. Sukkoi19

It must have been something FE that killed my other two Zealots a couple of times. I think it was in Act II when fighting those Steel Scarabs. I would be doing fine against a whole pack...then boom I was dead. Never did figure it out.

As for weapons, I have an upgraded Buriza as a hand down from my other two, as well as a BotD Berserker (yes its legit, its called seasonal unemployment). But I was thinking of something less popular. I have at my disposal:

Shaeffers Hammer
    Stormlash
    Azurewrath
    Lightsaber
    Baranars Star
    Heavens Light

I cant decide on these. Again thanks for the replies.

9. Suicidal Zebra

Suicidal Zebra IncGamers Member

Jeeze, all of those in legit HC? Ouch.

Personally, I would go BOTD or Azurewrath for speed, as less off-weapon IAS is required. Buriza should help you out in areas with OK's.

However, TBH I feel your bigger area to look at should be support equip, especially if you are not planning any too challenging players settings.

Max blocking, of course, is a must, as well as high defense and resist. Your biggest problem to face in completion will be Hell Ancients though in all likelihood. The FE bug for them is a real killer, x10 for HC chars.

10. Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast IncGamers Member

Well if i had that weapons for a zealot i think it would be a close call between Azurewrath and Sormlash. I would probably try them both, the requirements shouldn't be to much of a problem.
    Besides that i think that the great spead combined with cb an static on stormlash would give it a edge over azurewrath. Cannot be sure though as i have neither :D

11. Sukkoi19

Well Im not too worried about resists, Ive got a nice Sanctuary shield with like 108 to all on it lined up. Max blocking really isnt a problem I dont think because of Holy Shield.

Yeah, 4 months of nothing to do really gets you some nice stuff in DII. Of course with this weather its looking more like 5 months.

12. tragor

tragor IncGamers Member

My HF Zealot is cruisin' right now but he's still young. I think the build is very viable. It's the moron behind the keyboard that worries me. Just between you and me, I don't think he knows what he's doing. :scratch:

13. DX-Crawler

DX-Crawler Banned

I would go with Stormlash. To bad you don't got Nord's Tenderizer it really rocks, it freezes the enemies as well which is very helpful.

DX

14. Shade

Shade IncGamers Member

According to some reports the FE bug helpfully transfers to the Lightning Beetle's bolts. I'm hoping that I won't be able to personally verify this...
    :scared:

15. colony

colony IncGamers Member

Id say that the fire damage does transfer to the bolts, from my experience with a certain werewolf druid. 1000 life to none in a couple of seconds:grrr: . This is in NM act2, in the rocky waste. I wasnt annoyed, i was more confused:scratch: , as that was the only serious damage id taken for a very long time. This was in 1.10s though, so it might have changed now

16. steelsixtyIV

steelsixtyIV IncGamers Member

Melee is certianly tougher in 1.10 but not impossible. The highest ladder character on the HC ladder was a Zealot. Like everybody said before watch out for the FE bug and IM. Put some points into Vengence for the PIs and get a HF Merc to deal with crowds and you should be fine.

17. DX-Crawler

DX-Crawler Banned

I would say go with a Defiance merc. Most monster had below 20% to hit me only Lister and Baal had higher, probably the other act bosses as well but not to much hit me at all

DX

18. Sukkoi19

Cool, thanks for all the advice.