Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

HC WW Barb Plans - Feedback Appreciated!

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by Azzaron, Aug 29, 2006.

1. Azzaron

Azzaron IncGamers Member

HC WW Barb Plans - Feedback Appreciated!

My roomate and I have decided to try playing a couple HC characters together on our LAN (to avoid lag). Neither of us has ever played HC before, so I was hoping you guys might help me out a little in the planning stages. Also, I haven't played a barb in quite a while!

He is going to be a hammerdin using concentration.

STATS
    Str: 170 (enough for a 182 str colossus sword with some help from equipment/charms)
    Dex: 150-200 (enough for 75% max block)
    Vit: everything else
    Eng: nothing

SKILLS
    MAX WW
    MAX Sword Mastery
    MAX Battle Orders
    MAX Shout
    1 point wonders (natural resistance, leap attack, battle command, etc)
    Rest into Iron Skin

EQUIPMENT
    high dmg sword that hits the last WW breakpoint
    shield with high blocking and resists
    armour with high defense and resists
    jewlery with leeching
    switch to 2 swords with a boost to war cries
    MF where we can squeeze it in
    Try to get FHR to a reasonable breakpoint

MERCS
    Him: Act 2 holy freeze
    Me: Act 2 defiance

STRATEGY
    1. War cries up at all times, battle command first.
    2. Berserk on PIs.
    3. Berserk on oblivion knights (iron maiden).
    4. Battle cry then concentrate on bosses.
    5. Taunt against areas with lots of archers (ie, act 5 highlands).
    6. WW around the edges of groups, not through the middle.

QUESTIONS
    1. Should one of us be using an act 2 might instead? Keep in mind this is HC.
    2. Should I be using a shield? I figured that would help keep me alive in HC.
    3. If using a shield, does sword mastery make the most sense?
    4. Is getting enough dex to max out block worth the loss in life from vitality?
    5. Does putting my extra points in iron skin make sense? Would berserk or concentrate be better? Should I put more than one point in natural resistance? Keep in mind I won't have uber gear as we'll only be using what we find.
    6. In what order should I max my 4 main skills?
    7. Any cheap runewords you can recommend made exclusively from runes under shael?
    8. I was planning on crafting some blood recipes with perfect rubies - good decision?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

2. Azzaron

Azzaron IncGamers Member

*bump*

3. I've found out that I should be using axe mastery.
    8. Yes!

I would still love some answers to my other questions please...

3. Ce Olba

Ce Olba Banned

bumping is not allowed on these forums. You also double posted, which is against of the rules. However, it's only mild.

I love doing this.

The more damage you deal, the more you also leech, and leech means safety.

A shield is not necessary but it can definitely be nice to save your *** if you get cornered by a bunch of mana leech might cursed somethings.

Not necessarily. You should use Axes as you can use the blood recipe for them, and there are also lots of useful uniques and runewords for axes. However, for PvM, I love to use azurewrath on my barbs. It makes physical immunes a cake (with it's 250-500 magical damage that is).

If you lose more than 75% of your life maximizing blocking (which is very unlikely), you shouldn't do it. However, if not, then yes. However, this is only for PvM.

The extra defense might be helpful. However, I would put at least 1 pt in double swing for the low mana cost at higher levels and also have a pt in taunt for ranged attackers.

4. Azzaron

Azzaron IncGamers Member

Thanks a TON for the tips! Now that I know, I will never bump again :thumbsup:
    (yes, I should have read the forum rules, but I was lazy...)

I hear what you're saying about might and leeching more. That makes sense. I'll go with your advice there.

According to what you said, it makes a lot of sense to max blocking. However, a follow-up question in that regard: does blocking get checked for spells as well as physical damage?

In what situation would I use double swing?

Thanks again, buddy!

5. Ce Olba

Ce Olba Banned

6. PhatTrumpet

PhatTrumpet IncGamers Member

Your buddy is a Hammerdin and you're an untwinked WW Barb? Get used to being a BO slave, because that's all you'll be doing. Hammerdins are way overpowered in comparison, and he'll be killing everything on screen before you can say "wtfpwnt."

Answers:

1. Again, your damage will be irrelevant in comparison to his, so it really doesn't matter. He'll also be running Concentration already, so the additional damage boost from Might will be insignificant and unnecessary.

2. Yes. You are going to be tanking, so definitely get max block (75%) with whatever shield you settle on.

3. It all depends on what you think you'll be able to find most readily. Personally, I think a decent sword is much easier to come by untwinked than a decent axe. Sure, you can craft blood axes, but how often do crafts come out the way you hoped? Cruel swords can be shopped at Larzuk and a couple lucky hellforges might even net you the runes for 'Oath'.

4. Yes. See above.

5. Additional points in Iron Skin won't be needed, same with Berserk. I'd reserve those points for Combat Masteries or Warcries that you find particularly useful.

6. Max your Warcries ASAP.

7. Check here. Under Original Rune Words check 'Steel', 'Strength', 'Malice', 'King's Grace', 'Black', 'Honor', 'Rhyme', 'Stealth', 'Smoke', 'Lionheart', and 'Lore' (bold = no rune above Shael).

8. Yes. Try them all if your gear is lacking (except the shield one... 'Rhyme' is much better).