HC worth it? :|

Nerigazh

Diabloii.Net Member
HC worth it? :|

As I'm now approaching my "sept" of mats/pats, I was thinking about starting HC. Just last night though, I died in the CS on my zealot, and was thinking to myself, "Man, if this had been HC, that would have been IT. After so much time invested on this character..."

I'd like some opinions from SP HCers... are the rewards (satisfaction?) worth the risk?

Diabloii.Net Member
Hell , yes.

First of all , you will get much better at PvM. Now i rarely even get hit and my hearth starts beating madly if my life drops below 1/2. Also , you'll get good at pressing "4" and running away from baddies :tongue: .

And rewards? Well , you prove to yourself that you can beat the game without dying... Also , i'd suggest playing untwinked, makes game much more fun and interesting. My latest character (Act 5 hell ATM , expect a guardian thread) didnt do any magic finding and so far found some really good items , the best being eth bonehew from nm baal :smiley:

Conclusion : at least give HC a try. If you dont like the tension , you can always go back to SC. Time to time i make a SC character myself just to relax. It doesnt last too long tho , i usually delete it after few days.

scwormy

Diabloii.Net Member
It entirely depends upon your ultimate goal.

I have a couple HC characters, 1 of which I've guardianed, the others died and it became very frustrating. Its a nice accomplishment to know that I beat the game w/o dying.

Personally, I still play primarily SC for a variety of reasons...two of which are when playing I'll often get distracted by my family.
Second - I will play while holding my daughter...therefore only really playing with one hand...not worth the risk in HC.

All in all, HC is very rewarding, but I'd rather be in hell than starting out new characters all the time. For me, I don't have the patience. I play for fun and therefore play SC the majority of the time.

My last character was an EXTREMELY twinked Blizzballer who played P8 and didn't die until after I had beating Hell Baal.

skunkbelly

Diabloii.Net Member
Once you've experienced the rush of HC, the SC game feels weak. In fact, in my experience, once you've played HC, *any* game where you can die feels sort of weak.

Corrupted

Diabloii.Net Member
It depends on how you look at it.

Personally I think there's no real difference between twinked HC and SC - in HC you just "work" alot, removing the challenge only to end up with a dead character due to an unlucky situation.

Untwinked Single-Pass HC - That I can relate to, while you may argue that it's quite random how well your character will do, due to the random factor with single-pass itemdrops it's still a fun challenge.

Fluffballer

Diabloii.Net Member
For me, HC play is not for MFing or leveling etc. I only play untwinked single pass only and HC is simply a measure of if I can think my way into an original character finishing the game. It's the "figure out how to shove a square peg into a round hole using only these household items" a la Apollo 13. This is very rewarding.

I play SC like "arcade mode"; to slaughter things with Blizzards and MF and level as high as possible, etc. (usually while drunk :tongue:).

Hp_Sauce

Diabloii.Net Member
HC > SC 99% of the time.

I just love the feeling of HC, like I'm actually accomplishing something when I've beat the game or found an item because I've done it without dieing! It's like a badge of honor for me... probably one that only I see, but that's all thats really important, it's what makes the game fun for me. And that's what's important in the end, is doing whatever you have to do to make the game fun.

I've thought about it quite a lot over the past and there is one reason I would return to SC. If someone (probably my brother) started playing the game, I would build a SC character with him rather then forcing him to play HC in hopes that he would learn the game and enjoy it as much as I do, rather then getting frustrated and quitting.

due to an unlucky situation.
Oh, and I don't believe there is a such thing as an "unlucky situation" when it comes to playing HC. If you died it's your own fault, you weren't paying attention, or you weren't prepared to handle something, or you made a silly choice. It's not a flaw in the game when it spawns really tough packs of monsters close together it's how the game is designed and rather then hoping for it to not happen I prefer to prepare for it.... Of course running away is sometimes a good idea too.

-hps

Milb

Diabloii.Net Member
I think HC is definitely worth it. It has given the game a new life for me. Also, as mentioned, it makes you a far better PvM player.

You have to be prepared for dieing though, it can be quite a knock if you lose a high level twinked character. I've only had 3 losses so far but they have all been in Hell and one was quite expensive - Chains of Honor, Shako, Maras, Stormshield etc. It took me about a week to play the game again after that but to be honest I don't see the point in SC PvM as there is no risk.

The first time you face the Hell Ancients is also quite a rush, not only can you not leave but if you die thats it, it teaches you to prepare and you have to use every trick to survive.

cade88

Diabloii.Net Member
hc is fun to play but I don't know why exactly I do it especially when i lose a char iv'e worked hard on. I guess I play it because I don't like going back to the same thing if it doesn't work.

bradley_turner

Diabloii.Net Member
Back when I played on the realms (about 3 years ago now) I used to play exclusively hardcore, and thought that it was "the only way to play" but after awhile I kind of realized that it didn't really matter, because you never really die anyways if you pay attention and play well. I don't know, it's really a personal preference thing, I know that when I get my laptop, and can install D2 again (using my roomates computer) I'm probably gonna only start HC chars from now on.

kabal

Diabloii.Net Member
I think you have to ask yourself what is it about the game that you really enjoy. Personally, I'll always be a SC player because only two things in D2 still hold my interest: character progression and PvP. By character progression, I mean making characters progressively stronger through leveling/gear upgrades, so that ties in naturally with PvP. With that said, I think I'm reaching the end limit of character progression as well. My hammerdin sits at level 98.5 (where he's been for about ~5 months) and I have just about all the items that I think are worth having, which is why I haven't been trading or MF'ing for a few months. So the only thing that's really left for me in D2 is PvP, and even with PvP I'm less active than I was a year ago.

So why not start HC? Primarily because that means starting over, and starting over conflicts with character progression. Until I find something I've never had before or reach a higher level than I've ever reached before, it feels like I'm slogging back to where I was rather than making progress. Even now when I make a new character in SC, I power level it by leeching on my hammerdin's Baal runs rather than actually playing it through the game. As for PvP, that's completely non-existant in SP HC. It might be possible to set up HC LLD or even HLD with cheaper items, but to me that still feels like a step backwards in character progression when I'm currently dueling with Enigma, eBotD, CtA, etc.

In a nutshell, whatever I do in D2 has to be bigger and better than what I did previously, so that means building upon what I've already done rather than starting over. I think people with this sort of outlook are relatively rare at the SPF, but if you're one of them then I recommend sticking with SC (since it seems like you're pretty far along in progression in SC already).

Semi-tangent for the WoW players: My housemate is raiding Naxxramas with his guild (i.e. hardest monsters and best characters/gear the game currently has to offer), and he tells me that my playstyle is much more suited to WoW rather than D2 where end-game content has stagnated. I think his point is pretty valid, but not valid enough to justify paying $15 per month.

Ankeli

Diabloii.Net Member
As stated, it's a twin edged blade. If you manage it, it rewards you, gives you thrills and adrenaline rushes and a feeling of actually accomplishing something. Then again, I've ripped my share of hair out of my head with it as well... :prop:

Don't think, just create the char and go quest :heart:

Corrupted

Diabloii.Net Member
Oh, and I don't believe there is a such thing as an "unlucky situation" when it comes to playing HC. If you died it's your own fault, you weren't paying attention, or you weren't prepared to handle something, or you made a silly choice. It's not a flaw in the game when it spawns really tough packs of monsters close together it's how the game is designed and rather then hoping for it to not happen I prefer to prepare for it.... Of course running away is sometimes a good idea too.
-hps
My point was, playing twinked and being skilled means that you survive easily most of the time. But one day you teleport right on top of a Conviction gloam pack or a strong/fana frenzytaur pack - and then it hardly matters how much you "prepared" your character for that.
The solution to that might be playing at a slower/safer pace which will only make it addiotinally boring as when you twink you do it to maximize your efficiency and speed.

Ohomemgrande

Diabloii.Net Member
Before Diablo there was Rogue, Hack, Angaband, Nethack (my favorite game ever) etc. and hardcore was the only way to play. Not to mention that those games are much, much harder than Diablo (you're always one move away from instadeath) so the thought of dying in Diablo is no big deal to me. As someone put it earlier, Softcore is Arcade style and Hardcore is where the challenge is. It makes you a better player.

If you want to try out HC, go with one of the wacky tournaments out there. You know you probably don't have a very good chance of finishing the game but you'll probably have fun anyway.

Personally I enjoy both SC & HC depending on my mood.

-Jason
Play HC, Play HC, Play HC

Shagsbeard

Diabloii.Net Member
I've often expressed my wish that bliz would have come up with a number of different flags for us to choose from instead of simply SC vs HC. Single Pass vs. unlimitted runs would be a great flag. Twinkable vs. Untwinkable would be good too, if they encorped a versitile muling application like ATMA.

I'd love to see "Exit in Town Only" as an option... this makes HC much more challenging than the current "slap Esc when ever you feel like it".

With more than one option we could really customize the game to suit our playstyle.

Hp_Sauce

Diabloii.Net Member
Wait, I thought of something...

Do you like roller coasters? A lot of people like them for the thrill and the rush, and the fear. Waiting in line is exciting but nerve racking at the same time because you aren't sure what to expect, but you wanna find out! you wanna try it! And then when you get off and it's over it was all just for fun and you can't stop smiling even though you're shaking at the same time!

Now go stand in front of the Alter on the Arreat Summit in hell and this is pretty much how you will feel as you're trying to work up the courage to hit it and spawn the Ancients. After It's over you will be shaking, but you wont be able to stop smiling either!

GG HC for eva!

I was actually giddy like a little school child after my first fight with the Ubers on USEast, it was ficken awsome!

-hps

p.s. Stop laughing at me!

jiansonz

Diabloii.Net Member
I've often expressed my wish that bliz would have come up with a number of different flags for us to choose from instead of simply SC vs HC. Single Pass vs. unlimitted runs would be a great flag. Twinkable vs. Untwinkable would be good too, if they encorped a versitile muling application like ATMA.

I'd love to see "Exit in Town Only" as an option... this makes HC much more challenging than the current "slap Esc when ever you feel like it".

With more than one option we could really customize the game to suit our playstyle.

This is exactly what I am missing the most in this game! A great idea. Highest on my wish list would be:

* No respawning of monsters between games.
I despise the fact that when I load up a character, I (nearly) always have to run past or kill some monsters in an area I have already cleared, so I can get on with the game where I left off...This "transport" can be bloody dangerous too, especially in Hell.

* Items in town should not disappear between games (or ever, for that matter!)

* No limit to the amount of gold you can have in the stash. The current limit is just a stupid "feature", if you don´t twink. It forces the player into premature gambling.

Boulos

Diabloii.Net Member
I usually play SC, but was getting bored with destroying things with my Meteorb. So, I started a HC Sorc. She died late in Normal and it was a real shock. So, I started a nwe HC Meteorb and put more of a focus on Vitality. I've got her in Act III NM at the moment and she's still going strong on P8. I mule anything good that drops off of her, so if she dies...at least she contributed to my HC Stash. I love the excitement of knowing that if I die, that's it. Do not pass go, do not collect $200. I think it's what makes HC fun for all of us that are hooked, old and new.