Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

HC untwinked Sept journey

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Chaostar, Apr 2, 2019.

1. Chaostar

Chaostar IncGamers Member

Hi !

I'm back to this wonderful game (and this great forum :p) now I'm done with my moving houses business.
    I (let's hope temporarily) lost most of my previous chars in the process, so it's a fresh start from scratch !

I want to achieve 2 goals I never get close to (shame on me) : Get 1 patriarch HC character, and get 1 untwinked char to lvl 99 (probably not HC though...).

I'm starting with the HC part, and as I red great threads like Disposition's or Jonesy_Pantz's, I loved the idea to go with 7 chars instead of one. I guess it will make RIPs easier :D

So, I start my own HC untwinked sept-patriarch challenge !

The rules are :
    - LOD 1.13d (I guess ?)
    - 7 HC characters, one of each class. It will force me to play classes I almost never tried.
    - Untwinked characters : each one will play only with the stuff he drops !
    - Muling out is allowed, as I'll keep track of each char grailer
    - I'll (try to) keep 2 acts max between the first char and the last one, and pick randomly who's next to play after each char finishes an act (love the idea, @Disposition ! )
    - /players 8 for normal, then I'll see how things will go
    - Rerolling maps, running bosses or areas is allowed. The main point is obviousely to avoid death :D.
    - Each dead char will be reincarnated and have to fight back to join his mates.

Let's hope this won't take forever, as I have only a few playing hours / week, and I'm an easy ripping person :rolleyes:.

DiabloTwoinDC, Fruit, XRath and 4 others like this.
  2. Chaostar

Nymeria (Sorceress)

I created her as a single HC character, and went through the first 2 acts before I decided to go for this 7 Guardian challenge.
    She progressed slowly and carefully first, and a little faster when I get access to fireball and felt more and more safe and efficient.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

A few drops in actI, no particular difficulty.

[​IMG]

Act2 was also piece of cake. Especially Duriel, who was slained really fast, and for once, he dropped some really nice stuff !
    It's really interesting to play a sorceress with /p8, it makes act2 really easier.

Those Hsarus boots will be a good improvement, I can leave now my normal boots.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
  3. DaveW

DaveW IncGamers Member

GL Chaosstar, I'll be following your progress.

Chaostar likes this.
  4. T72on1

T72on1 IncGamers Member

Same here. Good luck !!!

Chaostar likes this.
  5. Chaostar

Thanks guys !!

Barristan (Paladin) :

Next in line is the paladin.
    I plan to build him as a shockadin.

His journey started well, with some nice drops.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This gets a little tougher after the jail, his killing speed was not as fast as I'd expected, so I started to run the Countess a couple of times. This is where I get this nice thing, on a weapon rack where I usually find crappy katars.

[​IMG]

Anyway, I finished the act faster, killed Andariel, it took a little time, but nothing scary.

Progress & Grails
    Code:
    Character        Class  Act    Level  Set   Unique  Grail
    ---------------  -----  -----  -----  ----  ------  -----
    Nymeria           Sorc      3     25     4       1      5
    Barristan          Pal      2     19     2       2      4

jonnyphive and Zyr like this.
  6. XRath

XRath IncGamers Member

Hey! I just wanted to wish you good luck on your journey with all of your HC chars, as well as getting a char to LVL99! I just finished my Fishymancer last night on HC hell for the first time (first time beating the game too... Lmao) and let me tell you... Beating the game without dying and having the proof for it feels great! Untwinked especially.

Since you sound busy and have a couple of hours per week to do this, take time on your journey and do things methodically. It took me a week for my Necro because I have the time. :p I have the same type of idea as you where I plan on beating HC with each of the classes, so it'll be a fun journey for you.

Your rules sound great to follow btw! Take different challenges in HC as you feel more comfortable playing in that style. Always best to play smart, not hard. xD Once again, good luck!

Chaostar and T72on1 like this.
  7. Chaostar

Thanks a lot for your message ! ;)
    You're right about taking time to do things, when you're too impatient in HC (and sometimes I am), you're soon punished ! I'm going to see how you've built your necro, i'll need advice about mine, I guess :D
    Actually, maybe I won't bring these 7 to beat Hell Baal, once I get one, I'll be glad. But I'm far from hell right now... :p

So, I have 2 or 3 updates to do, but each time I tried I got this "IP Banned error"...

8. XRath

XRath IncGamers Member

A heads up that always going in fully prepped is best too! (ex./ Extra juvie pots, recharging tele staff, full tome of TP scrolls, returning to town when AMP'd, etc.) Impatience leads to panicking and that's where one would RIP. Happened on my very first HC run a couple of weeks ago. If it happens though, don't feel discouraged! Learn and get back up! :D

I made a post a couple of days ago for my necro. The fishymancer is definitely your safest bet for the 1 out of 7 chars. I only posted the items, but if you're curious about how I went about my build (skills/stats), you can ask and I'll be glad to tell you!

It's awesome that you're going about this in a fun manner btw! Fun trumps all!! And looking forward to your future posts!

9. Chaostar

Thanks again !

Rhaegar (Druid) :

I didn't play druid often, to say the least. I had a werewolf a decade ago, and a windy a few years back, I drove through normal, and I enjoyed it, if I recall right.
    So wind this one will be.
    As I try not to start a character the easier way to respec later, I invest very few points on the first 17 lvl... and find myself with a very weak druid, with a lot of life (oak) and defense (cyclone armor).
    Killing monsters is really long. I improved my gear by shopping some mace with nice affixes, and things get better when I found a wolf head granting me a lvl 2 Molten Boulder skill. Belive it or not, I never tried this skill, and it appears to be fun and efficient.
    Anyway, I was not the most confident druid ever when I had to face Andariel. I expected the killing process to be long, depending on how my mercenary and wolf would deal with poison.
    It was long, but not that much, I had to get back 3 or 4 times in town, but once again, no real threat.

[​IMG]
    nothing useful...

So, it was not the most pleasant act ever, I dropped no grail, even if this char is the first with a 3 socket armor with chipped topaz... but I found an insane amount of (crappy) barbarian helm.
    Maybe a clue for the next char to play ? Let's draw !

Progress & Grails
    Code:
    Rhaegar          Druid      2     18     0       0      0

I made a new draw, and excluded the 3 first char (I want to get everyone in act 2 first). And the next in line will be The assassin !

XRath likes this.
  10. Chaostar

Arya (assassin) :

I only played this class once, on battle.net, a pure kicker who made her way to uber tristram alone. I'll try to build her twin sister, (even if I don't recall her much).

Her 1st act was easy, even if I had to give her a LOT of mana potions, but nothing dropped. I'll have to take some time to find her better gear in act 2.

[​IMG]
    More nothing...

Progress & Grails
    Code:
    Arya              Assa      2     20     0       0      0 

Random draw called now the Necromancer

XRath likes this.
  11. ioupainmax

ioupainmax IncGamers Site Pal

A fan of A Song of Ice and Fire / Game of Thrones I see!

Welcome back ;)

Chaostar likes this.
  12. Chaostar

Viserys (necromancer)

I played one necromancer (higher than lvl 10-15, I mean). Only one, and he was my first diablo2 character when the game came out, back in 2000. I killed diablo with a 2hand axe. It was a long fight :)
    So, I'll try to get an efficient summoner character, I don't know everything about him, but I think I get the main point : corpses -> skeletons -> more corpses -> Corpse Explosion -> many more corpses.
    It's not easy to accept the fact I won't kill any monster myself, but just watch my creatures and help them, but maybe I'll be used to after some playing time.
    It's really safe in act I, my skeletons keep monsters busy, they don't seem to notice me. Even the countess tried to hide in the room next to her treasure chamber.
    [​IMG]
    Where's the lady ?

Things get complicated past the monastery, my minions killing time grows. Finally, Andariel required 2 travel to the cold plains to rebuild a fresh army after she destroyed my 6 skeletons.
    [​IMG]

No nice drop at all... It's the 3rd character in a row who finds absolutely nothing interesting in this actI. I usualy find something at least a little hsarus set piece or a small unique, but nothing here. :mad:

Progress & Grails
    Code:
    Viserys          Necro      2     19     0       0      0

13. Chaostar

Cersei (amazon) :

I want to turn her into a pure bowazon, based on strafe, I guess.
    I trade my javelin for the first bow I dropped, which was maybe not the best idea, I dealt very low damage, and got no skill points to assign into the bow tree before a long time.
    Anyway, I carried on, a found it very interesting and challenging.
    I had to deal with some tricky situations...
    [​IMG]

I had to take special care of her stuff : I upgraded my weapons by shopping, ran the countess a few times to make a Stealth armor, then gamble a rare bow.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I found a grailer on my way to kill Andariel...
    [​IMG]

.. what I did while dancing with her around a pool of blood.
    [​IMG]

I didn't expect to love that character's start that much :p.

Progress & Grails
    Code:
    Cersei             Ama      2     19     0       1      1

Final character, the Barbarian. Don't know yet what to do with him... Maybe concentration or Berserk... Any suggestion ?

14. Fruit

Fruit IncGamers Member

Love that list of rules! And an awesome idea to do all chars at the same time, that certainly keeps variety. :)

Chaostar likes this.
  15. XRath

XRath IncGamers Member

The Barbarian is definitely the most difficult and tedious class to play through with, as most of the time, the gear is what defines the character instead of his skills. Conc and Berserk are okay against singular enemies, but for mobs, WW is your best bet if you decide to take a lot of time on him, as that's his go-to AoE skill if you have nice gear. If you want to progress through the game in a different way, you can make the runeword 'Black' in a flail for bosses (CB) and have your main skill as War Cry for everything else. If that's not your cup of tea though, finding gear and using melee skills will be a long journey, but you're looking to have fun, so I think you have a couple of options here! Das my 2 cents! :D

Chaostar likes this.
  16. Swamigoon

Swamigoon IncGamers Member

I think it would still be fun to read about another good old Concentrate build. Since he is untwinked, do you think you might choose to invest much in his hork skill?

Chaostar likes this.
  17. JoeBruce

JoeBruce IncGamers Member

Try Frenzy. Or you can do berserk with a big sword and name him Gregor. If you go with berserk get lots of PDR (physical damage reduce) and use War Cry for stun.

Chaostar likes this.
  18. Chaostar

Hey ! Thanks for your ideas ! :)
    @Swamigoon, what do you mean by "hork skill". English is not my native tongue, and I don't get it :oops:
    @XRath : I was tempted to make a pure nova barb, but it may be difficult in untwinked version.
    I love WW barb (and frenzy) but I played them many times.
    @JoeBruce : I love the idea, I wish I had it before I create the character with another name :D

Well, I made this barb 1st act yesterday night, report incoming. He will be berserker. And yes, barb will not be the easiest class to play without equipment. :rolleyes:

19. Chaostar

Baelor (barbarian) :

[​IMG]
    I played many barbarians, and I didn't really know which type of barbarian this one will be.
    So I started the act without invest points in the combat tree.

When I get to the jail, it became difficult, I found myself running a lot to avoid packs of archers, of wraith, of anything, actually.
    [​IMG]

I had need of some rejuvenation, so I figured out it was not a good thing, and left the game on the inner cloister waypoint, and decided to go for some countess run, see if I can get some runes and xp.
    I found a lot of tal, and a little grailer drop.
    [​IMG]

I upgraded my equipement a little by gambling.

On lvl 18, I thought it was time to go for the final demon.
    I skipped most of the monsters in andariel's tower, and killed her with no real difficulty.

Progress & Grails
    Code:
    Cersei             Ama      2     19     0       1      1
    Baelor            Barb      2     18     1       0      1

20. T72on1

T72on1 IncGamers Member

Hork skill is the 'Find Item' skill. Using the skill on a corpse is called 'horking', hence he was refering to it as hork skill.

Fruit, Swamigoon and Chaostar like this.