Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

HC Untwinked Melee P8 No Mecr No Summons?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Contragor, Oct 29, 2017.

1. Contragor

Contragor Diabloii.Net Member

Has anyone tried doing such a challenge? I've seen a lot of HC untwinked P8 runs but they all rely heavily on Merc/Summons to do all the killing/tanking, which in my mind is a bit cheesy. Just wondering how far could one go theoretically with these restrictions:

* No merc
    * No summons of any kind including Valk/Shadow Master
    * No ranged sources of damage including traps
    * Melee only
    * Single pass only - no farming areas
    * Hardcore
    * Players 8 all the way
    * Full clears (except for monsters that can't be reached by a melee characters)

Ideas?

Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
  2. Gynli

Gynli Diabloii.Net Member

It will depend largely on how lucky u get with weapon drops, and how patient you are at peeling monters in hell. I personally dont have such patience and usually end up pulling more than i can handle. For the build itself, any physical damage dealers will depend too heavily on the weapon; and you might hit a brick wall without lucky drops.

Elemental-wise... elemental zealot, berserker, pheonix sin, charged strike java, necro and sorc will be hard. Bear has a spammable stun, so that can be useful. And i guess shout barb - what were they called again? Ive been told high chance flee rabies is fun. Anddd thats all i can think of off the top of my head. Any you like? =P

3. Dezrok

Dezrok Diabloii.Net Member

Some of the Water Watcher type monsters in Act 3 can't be reached without a ranged attack, so technically you probably can't get past Act 3 on full clears. If you are willing to ignore them and the occasional other monster that will be unreachable then no reason you can't Guardian. It wont be easy though ... which is a good thing.

Not sure how many Guardian threads you've looked at on this forum, but if you have a look through the Mat/Pat/Guardian thread, I'm sure you will find p8 untwinked Guardians that didn't use their merc to do all the killing. There was also the Exposure Tourney, which was no merc, no summons, no shield, but didn't insist upon p8.

4. Contragor

Contragor Diabloii.Net Member

I mean full clears of course, will update the first post. Seen quite a few untwinked threads including the ones doing naked/broken gear runs, but all of them in one way or another relied on a combination of summons/merc/range damage. As for the monsters that are unreachable to melee characters, - those (and only those) can be skipped I guess. Though I'm pretty sure I've seen them being annihilated by iron golems before, which means the can be reached, even though in this case Golems are considered summons and wouldn't be allowed.

5. Yng

Yng Diabloii.Net Member

P8 is really rough for this but I think Barbarian is your best best with a lot of luck and patience. You'll have a nice HP pool to try to avoid being insta RIP'd by dice roll mob, you can make good use of CB with Frenzy (Black can take you all the way honestly and it's not impractical to expect a Io), you have Berserk option for immunities, you can Howl off unideal situations, and you can make use of Find Item to make the most out of your limited drops.

Black, Crescent Moon, Nord's are good weapon options if you can get them. Leech and resistances are invaluable. I don't think you have any thing stopping you from spamming merchants for wands? Life Tap charges would help immensely and +WC weapons wouldn't hurt either. Teleport staff can help with positioning for some particularly sticky situations (Countess, Claw Viper Temple, Infector seal etc).

Good luck.

Contragor likes this.
  6. Yng

Yng Diabloii.Net Member

One shot potential as that on P8 is really bad

7. Maltatai

Maltatai Diabloii.Net Member

I think a necromancer could certainly do it with lots of carefulness and a little luck. Dim Vision against normal monsters and decrepify or life tap against their leaders seems attractive.

Don't forget the simple yet very effective Malice runeword. Open wounds and prevent monster heal is not to be underestimated.

As for weapons, aside from daggers that can be poisoned you might be able to make good use of a long spear or pole arm if you blind enemies and stay out of their range. Or go with bone walls and prisons and poke at them over the wall.