Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

HC Throw Barb - input needed

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by ZappaFan, Jan 30, 2004.

1. ZappaFan

ZappaFan Hardcore Moderator and America Trade Moderator

HC Throw Barb - input needed

I'm going to make a (mostly) pure throw Barb. Would really appreciate any advice on it. My thought is to go with an Iron Barb Double Thrower, & a Defiance merc so that I wouldn't miss having a shield too much. Good idea? Crap idea? Did somebody say beer?

I've found two of those newfangled Gimmershred throw thingies. Those look prety darn cool. I also found one of those Demon something (Balrog?) spears. That one looks pretty tasty, too.

[Edit: this will be PvM ONLY]

2. STINGER

STINGER IncGamers Member

Have fun, but I think its a tuff build for Hell play but throwers are fun. I have one of those ETH Ghost Glaives, its too bad no replenishe and like 80 stack I just know it will break on me!

From my limited Thrower EXP I think i would go Holy Freeze to put everything in slowmoe mode, or just go might for extra damage and so Merc has high damage potential thus high leech potential, thus high livability potential. Defince mercs work but if your not kiling fast they wont either and dont tend to last long unless you really PDR them out with a big stick.

Just my thoughts

3. doubleOObubble

doubleOObubble IncGamers Member

"I have one of those ETH Ghost Glaives, its too bad no replenishe and like 80 stack I just know it will break on me!"

Arreat summit states differently... Are you sure it does't replenish?

4. STINGER

STINGER IncGamers Member

Well......u know tht was a bad statement, it replenishes, but it was the 80 stack that scared me away from building to it. I recall back in 1,09 my thrower had some nice sticks and could still go thru 80 fast in situations. I am sure it has replenish my bad!

5. Bearcub

Bearcub IncGamers Member

I agree with the merc advice. Defiance for a thrower has limited use, one does not really want to be going toe to toe with critters. Also grim ward is a throwers friend. Set it up and pick off the creatures, howl has the same use. Blessed aim merc also is nice for a thrower, Plus they live longer than most give credit in hell, might be because they hit more, tho that is me speculating.

6. WingBlade

WingBlade IncGamers Member

ZF, those Gimmershreds are very nice pair, with a stack of 240.... u won't have to repair as quickly..

The Balrog Spears ( Demon Arch's) are very delicious as well.

I have a pair of those, 1 is ethereal :) Very nice replenish,, when I had my thrower, if I was running low.. I would switch to Frenzy until they replenish to a decent amount.

Go w/ the A2 HF Merc... freeze those cronies and just break them w/ your weps.

Enjoy

7. Bearcub

Bearcub IncGamers Member

Has anyone tried a glimmershread on a fury druid. That would give insane elemental damage and be extreamly fast, One could use a shield and actually have resist in hell. The only downside i see is high dexterity, so a little less life, and not as high a max damage.

8. lfd

lfd IncGamers Member

Hmm, I was given to understand that replenish had been fixed in 1.10 so that it would work even when you got down to 0 quantity. Is this another "not fixed properly" issue where the weapon remains unusable because it's ethereal?

9. slick4hire

slick4hire IncGamers Member

I agree that might is the best bet for a thrower. It also does some good to have frenzy as an alternate skill. Charge it up a few times and you are like a machine gun.

I played with one of these and I ended up frenzying far more often then throwing. The throwing just didn't seem to cut it. I put a few points into war cry for the stun effect and just used frenzy for primary skill, then double throw for situations like the chaos sanctuary.

One thing you will notice is that frenzy and double throw share double swing as an enhanced damage synergy which makes them compliment each other as well.

10. STINGER

STINGER IncGamers Member

I have not read anything to tell me that taking sticks with replenish to 0 will allow them to replenish so I am under the impression it is the same as 1.09 here

11. Naheet

Naheet IncGamers Member

Throw barbs are very viable in Hell. I've got an ** thrower myself, using gimmershreds and a Cruel Winged Harpoon and Gargoyle's Bite on switch.

I use a defiance merc, just so he can tank for me better.

Physical immunes are not a problem with the gimmershreds. But Atma's Scarab REALLY helps alot. Especially for killing speed. My thrower does about 3k physical damage in each hand with the winged harpoons, combine that with ampilify damage, and the critical strike from throw mastery (Gore riders help alot!).

Skills are pretty straight forward
    20 Double Swing
    20 THrow Mastery
    20 Battle Orders
    I have about 10 in Double Throw for AR.
    And the rest in things like Natural Resistance(more is needed here, because you are going wihtout a shield) and Prerequisites.

Stats should be:
    Enough strength for your end equipment.
    Enough dexterity for weapons (Winged HPoons require 145, I think)
    Rest in Vita.

Howl and Taunt are VERY helpful skills as well. Taunt the archers/ranged attackers and just shoot'em down before they get to you :).

Thats all I can think of right now :).

12. sohcan

sohcan IncGamers Member

Haven't built a thrower in 1.10 myself but I know Mali had his thrower up to somewhere in the 6-7k damage range and I believe that was with a might merc and some really nice cruel winged harpoons (so similar to Naheet). With the proper weapons you can do some serious damage, and I agree with the frenzy option turn that thrower in a walking drive-by! ;) I can't recall whether you play on east or west Zappa, but if you play on east I can keep an eye out for some nice ones if you are interested seeing as I tend to shop a lot during my hell E/S/P runs.

13. Estrella

Estrella IncGamers Member

I can confirm out of experience that eth throwing weapons will replenish once they've reached zero.

14. mali

mali IncGamers Member

As can I.

Zappa... I had a very nice thrower (died recently - PvM builds should not take on PvP builds)...
    Go a might merc, don't worry about BO sticks have a pair of gimmershreds on switch.
    Mine used a pair of ethereal Demon Arches... nasty.

15. Squatdog

Squatdog IncGamers Member

I've got a lvl 75 Throwbarb I've been building up.

One thing I found that helps is using the Razortail belt for Piercing.

16. Ity-Bity

Ity-Bity IncGamers Member

Stinger, you are quite wrong.
    From Blizzard's own patch.txt:

17. doubleOObubble

doubleOObubble IncGamers Member

The Beta and the Delta of a thrower barb is: Hit power gloves. Knockback as automod and chance of sweet stat/leech/IAS mods... Knockback is great for that build. Try and get ones with IAS too, and you're set.

18. ZappaFan

ZappaFan Hardcore Moderator and America Trade Moderator

This just occured to me as I was playing him yesterday. I used to craft a ton of KB gloves for my hybrid zon for 1.09 but hadn't done any of that yet for 1.10 since I don't even have a zon (yet). But this thrower is the perfect candidate for some good KB gloves. Right now he's using Sigons gloves/belt but as I was playing him yesterday I happened to think about that.

I've been home sick the past couple days and spent a lot of time playing this guy, and have him up into the mid 50's doing Nightmare Eldritch/Shenk/Pindle getting him leveled. He's using a nice rare flying axe that has 140's %ED, dual leech, IAS & some nice % damage to undead (~140%). Pretty nice rare. On the other hand he's using a Deathbit.

I decided to go with a Might merc for faster killing, and hopefully less frequent repairing. Seems to be working so far.

This is definitely a fun build. Didn't mind being home sick from work one bit! :D

19. Malachi

Malachi Banned

I had a HC thrower using two gimmershreds. All I can say is, even those dont do enough damage unless you max double swing as a synergy or get a might merc to boost damage (or both). I had max Mastery and only 1 in double throw since it only adds AR and I was going for a bezerker hybrid.

I see two options really:

Max BO, Double Swing, Mastery, 1 Double Throw with a defensive merc
    or
    Max BO, Mastery, Shout, 1 Double Throw with a might merc

Frankly I think option 2 is the better since Shout gives a good synergy to the 1 bezerk you most likely spend anyway. And I dislike spending loads in skills just for synergy purpose (although double swing is an impressive skill).

I deleted my char, he could not make it in Hell. And those unique ghost glaives, I tried em.. too slow to be effective. As you see I did not advise all skills, and I strongly recommend some serious War Cry on the side. You will need that stunning edge.

20. RottweilExpress

RottweilExpress IncGamers Member

My thrower didn't have the arsenal you have ZF, but still was a force to reckon with. Why? Because of two things. He got past most dangers using a MIGHT merc. Without him my damage would not cut it. And then it was the little item called Laying of Hands, which gives you a 350% dam to demons. Without those gloves, I wouldn't even go past A1 HELL.

Oh well.