Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

[HC]Strafer having a hard time on norm diablo...

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by sequoia, Apr 20, 2008.

1. sequoia

sequoia IncGamers Member

[HC]Strafer having a hard time on norm diablo...

I've gone to him twice now... and of course since it's still normal I've got all my MF gear still on (not that I have decent other gear to put on anyway), and its basically my merc and valk walking through the game. On huge packs I can spam strafe and chug mana pots and it actually mows em down pretty decently... but otherwise I'm having a hard time with diablo.

First time my merc kept getting hosed, and after about the 5th tp back diablo prisoned my portal (oops!) and hosed it. I managed to S&E with like 60 hp left.

On my second go-around, he kept hosing my merc and valk, at which point I just kept reviving and persevering (malice bardiche, so OW are pecking at him oh so slowly)...

when I ran out of money to revive my merc.

I'm level 34, got 1 point in every pre-req/passive. Rest of points into strafe and valk - got about 8 points saved up. Almost all stats into vitality except where needed for items.

Any tips of what kinds of things I can do? I've got every rune up to thul, and my gear is almost all topaz socketed, a zephyr bow (I actually have a rare bow with amp damage on it, not that it will help here) and MF rings/gloves/boots. I have a pretty sweet belt (24% FHR, 20% LR, 19% PR), and i popped on some rare res boots for diablo. I switch my merc's MF gear for a 30% LR armor and a 15% res helm... he can survive one hose, but unless I juve/pot him up to speed, he just gets hosed again and dies. I'm also running low on rejuve potions.

Merc uses a rare pike up to diablo, but OW seems to work better for bosses.

2. DeathMaster

DeathMaster IncGamers Member

Re: [HC]Strafer having a hard time on norm diablo...

Simple, don't worry about merc. Run around him, and use GA (auto hit). as long as you keep running, and shooting, he will die.

If you need to use portal, run far away from him, and then cast TP is safe.

3. sequoia

sequoia IncGamers Member

I could give that a shot, don't suppose there's a bow runeword that gives CB or OW, is there?

Also, GA requires mana (and I currently have no leech). That's definitely an approach I'll give a shot next time, though. Open wounds on my merc wasn't too hot considering he only got to hit him once before dying.

4. Ugla

Ugla IncGamers Member

Well, a bowie (whichever kind) against Diablo..
    Bowazons simply suck against bosses :thumbsdown: Considering the bone prison threat, running around can be risky - if he catches you, and you don't break the prison in time.. With additional targets, the risk should be lower, but big D often ignores your minions, or kills them all with a single flame wave.

The best thing you can do is to place one point into Jab and craft yourself some blood-gloves. Take one column of thawing potions with you, and engage the bastard in melee. It's imo safer and also faster than any other option. Bowazons tend to have high dexterity, and thus good block, and their AR is also decent. Standing close will protect you from Diablo's hose, but you will still need high fire resistance!

Javelin/shield switch is of great value for any HC bowazon when entering locations, opening evil urns, and in many other dangerous situations. It saved my bowie several times on her way to guardian :cool:

5. Cygnus

Cygnus IncGamers Member

NOT IN NORMAL! That trick only works in nightmare and hell. The hose hurts you in normal even if you stand right up to him.

6. Skinhead On The MBTA

Skinhead On The MBTA IncGamers Member

I don't believe there is a runeword that gives bows Crushing Blow, but it's seriously nerfed for ranged attacks - to the point that it's pretty much worthless. Open Wounds is a better option, but there are no runewords that give OW at that stage of the game other than Malice, which can only be made in melee weapons.

DeathMaster's got the right idea, running around and spamming Guided Arrow. It may cost a few mana potions, and take a while, but it's safe and it will eventually take him down. That's how I beat him.

7. sequoia

sequoia IncGamers Member

Lol, I wish I had recorded my fight, it was pretty epic. I went with mana potions/health potions and a valk... He pretty much wiped my valk every time she was up. After something like an hour long battle (with tps in and out) I managed to get him down to less than the D... at which point i ran out of TPs. I didn't want to run home, so I gutted it out - until I ran out of potions. I started running around scrounging the entirety of chaos sanctuary, but no luck.

On at least 5 occasions I had less than 100 hp due to him spamming fire, with no mana to spawn a valk. He prisoned me while running around and I managed to escape just in the nick of time a couple of times too. General strategy was to keep fighting until he would aggro on me, at which point I would try to lead his lightning hose in a way that it wouldn't kill my valk.

It was pretty epic, he was at a sliver so i didn't want to run, but he threw 5 fire rings in a row, taking me to 18 hp with no potions. I ran for my life and lucky enough he didn't kill me. I went all the way home (18 hp) and came back with my merc, killed diablo in 2 arrows.

8. DeathMaster

DeathMaster IncGamers Member

Glad you did it. But it is kind of odd that he managed to prison you. The trick with GA is that you don't need to target, so you can keep a reasonable distant and route that his lightning will never touch you, and you can easily run away from his fire attack (most of time). If you stop and fire a arrow or two, you will likely to get prisoned in. If you run and let him to chase you, he won't have time to caste prison.

When you fire GA, just fire at any direction while running. As long as Diablo is in the same screen (I suspect it can target a little over a screen), you will see the arrow auto adjust its direction, and hit. The beauty is he will be the only target, so your GA will never miss.

CB is only half effective on ranged attack than on melee, but it still helps.

The only time my zon took hit from Diablo (at any difficulty) is his fire attack got me on the edge before I can completely out run it. It still hurts, but a lot easier to deal with than take the full strike.

It is funny that only my necro got prisoned, because he will have to stop and curse, and there cannot be huge movement, otherwise his minions will try to follow him.