Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

HC SP WF Multi/Strafer advice

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by DudSpud, Oct 21, 2009.

1. DudSpud

DudSpud Diabloii.Net Member

HC SP WF Multi/Strafer advice

I have been a fan of Zons since I first started playing, and after 6 yrs of playing budget WWS strafers/Fishyzons, I finally found a WF, and decided to build a Zon around it. Having just struggled through p3 A2 Hell, I have some questions.

I went 9 Multi (10 arrows) / 20 Strafe, and after holding on to a big pile of skills (FA?), I decided to go physical with skills and switch to handle PI's. LucyWind is currently lvl 82 with the following stats (-gear):

Str - **
    Dex - 149
    Vit - 213
    Erg - 15 (base)

...with 30 left to spend.

Skills (hard):

Bow - 9 Multi, 20 Strafe, 1 FrzA, 1 each prereq
    P/M - 12 Crit, 20 Pen, 5 Pierce, 10 Valk (18 at cast in town with gear), 1 prereqs
    Jav - None

With 4 left to spend and only Hell Izzy quest left.

Gear:

Circlet (Ohm) with res, 2 P/M, life, poison, 17 res all
    WF, 8% ML, 15 IAS 14ED% jewel
    Lionheart Wirefleece (Str for WF, Dex, Res, life)
    RTail (Dex, Pierce)
    Cat's Eye (IAS, Dex)
    Ravenfrost and 4%ll rare with +min and AR
    IK gloves and boots (for str, AR, and 25% IAS; with Cat's gives me 9/3 strafe and 10 frame multi)
    Stash - Mostly res or lightning smalls/larges and Max/AR/OK mod Grands

Strafe is 235-2300-ish, Multi 200-2000-ish. Life is 1130-ish with 6 FR (OUCH!), 30 LR, red CR/PR. This is HC, remember, and so she is something of a glass cannon. OK, more like a glass 50 caliber machine gun.

Merc is Might with Insight GPA, Haemosu's, and VampGaze. I have all runes up to UM, so I could make Cresent Moon, though I am reluctant to waste the Um and give up the Meditation. No Amp casting poles are in, or likely soon to be in, the stash.

Questions:

1 - What do you do for PI's? Switch is upped WWS with 2xShael. I like the fact that in addition to the lvl 20 MA, I have the chance to break PI's with Amp. This doesn't happen as often as I would like, and A2 with its Unravelers and PI ghosts was most unpleasant. Should I ditch the WWS in favor of dropping the rest of the skills in FA, with say a 3 B/C Melody, or a Burrito (pierce is already near max), or just strafe with Harmony in the fastest bow I can find?

2 - I am relatively item poor, but I was thinking of switching out the IK gloves/boots. This would drop me from 9/3 to 10/3 strafe with no change in multi if I replaced the gloves with 20 IAS gloves (unless I Shael'ed the WF). This isn't a really big difference, IMHO. And I could go with WTravs for the str (10 less than IK gloves...) and +min/max. LoH would give the needed 20 IAS and FR, though Lava Gouts would also give 20 IAS and boost the AR somewhat when Enchant triggers, and still give some more FR. What would you do?

3 - Would you spend the extra skills to boost Valk (hard or Decoy?) or D/A/E, or maybe something else?

4 - Any other suggestions to help me get LucyWind to Guardian?

Thanks,
    DudSpud

2. sorcererbob

sorcererbob Diabloii.Net Member

Re: HC SP WF Multi/Strafer advice

1. It would have been better if you had asked this about 40 levels ago, when you would have realised it was going to be a problem. At that point you still have a ton of time to change the build. In this case I would have recommended lightning fury or FA, but now it's too late for both. As such I think your best bet is to strafe away with a Harmony blade bow.

Lol rich man cries poor :p Faced with the same decision I went with Laying of Hands.

3. I'd probably invest in valkyrie.

4. Get really lucky?

Btw why did you invest so heavily into critical strike?

edit: Matriarch Heskla will give you some good ideas I imagine; like wearing Treachery.

3. Jingizu

Jingizu Banned

1. I prefer MA/Strafe, or if you are a HC player a MA/MS variant, magic arrow with windforce is very strong. But in your case, I would prefer freezing PI's with one point FA and using the WWS switch.

2. If you don't loose IAS, the LoH/War Traveller combo would be the best, or maybe try some rare resist boots.

3. Your Valk is already lvl 18, I would invest elswhere (D/A/E, magic arrow...)

4. Don't get your self killed

By the way, what does this mean? I mean, is it really an Ohm rune? It increases maximum cold resistance by 5% in armor, but you already said, that your cold resist is red...?

4. sorcererbob

It's a circlet, socketed with an Ohm rune. It has:
    +2 Passive and Magic Skills
    + life
    + ... poison resistance? damage? I dunno
    + 17% resist all

edit: on review I have no idea what it means. It means he chose a circlet for his Ohm rune; that's what it means :/

5. RIP

RIP Diabloii.Net Member

As another HC player and at the same time someone, who is building nearly exactly same zon, i have few things to say...

Questions:

1 - My personal opinion is use the Reapers toll on merc - it will brake many immunes and at the same time increase Your dmg vs non immunes...also keep in mind, that i play Vanilla :)

2 - my choice will be LoH, 20 IAS, FR and nice dmg vs Deamons is hard to beat...

3 - I'm skipping Valk with all my twincked zons (i've never found reason for placing points here), so its between Decoy and D/A/E then...as a big fan of Decoy, i say this will be my choice...

4 - Just be patient :thumbsup:

GL

6. DudSpud

I thought that MA from WWS would do the trick, and it may still. Thanks for the sarcasm and the Harmony bump.

I assume this refers to the "Ohm'ed" Circlet. As several have surmised, I wrote incorrectly - the circlet is ORT'ed for the LR. Ohms for me are wishful thinking. If I ever found an Ohm, I am sure I would never use it because it is too precious, much less waste it in a circlet for the +max CR.

Bitter Brow
    Circlet
    'Ort'
    Defense: 22
    Durability: 105 of 105
    Required Level: 31
    Item Version: 1.10+ Expansion
    Item Level: 60
    Fingerprint: 0x26af634b
    +7 to Energy
    +15 to Life
    Fire Resist +46%
    Lightning Resist +47%
    Cold Resist +17%
    Poison Resist +17%
    +50 poison damage over 5 seconds
    +2 to Passive and Magic Skills (Amazon Only)
    Socketed (1: 1 used)

Thanks all for the suggestions,
    TehSpud

7. Jingizu

Jingizu Banned

Ort makes much more sense :wink:

Btw. I would be carefull with strafing physical immunes with harmony, even if you have two summons and a merc. Strafe lock could kill you (imagine extra fast fanatic pack of ghost etc.). On HC, I would try to kill mobs with multi (with harmony), it's quite fast anyway...

8. sorcererbob

Laced with sarcasm is better than without lace :p But ORT does make much more sense than OHM.

9. DaveW

DaveW Diabloii.Net Member

My HC Zon maxed MS and Strafe, using an upped WWS. Between Ctc Amp and Mer'cs Reapers, PIs weren't too much of a problem. I put 3 hard points into Decoy which really is a great crowd control skill. I maxed Valk as well and what a killer she turned out to be. Just my 2 cents worth. The worst for my Zon is when she gets amped or chilled. Any physical hitter can be a real scare when this happens. Take care against the PI witches in the WSK as well. GL Dud.

10. Hector

Hector Diabloii.Net Member

Heavily? It's only at 12 points... which is not that high for a pure physical zon I'd say. I would in fact add more later on, this skill is simply too good to pass (not that there are better offensive options for a physical bowazon anyway).

Back on topic:

1. Harmony/WWS on switch, Atma's Ammy, Reaper's Toll on merc or simply Magic Arrow seem to work well for me.

2. I'd most certainly lose IK gloves + boots for LoH + War Travelers. You'd need to Shael the WF though.

3. I say a big no to Decoy. I never really needed more than 1 point and that's on base Vit zons, and did 1 pt in Hardcore too. 1 point is enough specially with your high Vitality she should have tons of Life already without any points.

Skill point wise I love your setup, I would go almost exactly the same route. Bow tree seems to be done. Passive tree the only ones to consider would be Valk, Critical Strike, or a few more points to reach 100% Pierce.

4. Other suggestions: I know it may sound weird but you have enough Vitality (stop it at like 220 so you can think you've invested 200 pts), now add more Dexterity (149 is really low), maybe more Strength to have more flexiblity in gear later. Being forced to use STR items when you have something more interesting is really not nice. So either save some points or dump all into Dexterity.

Good luck!

11. DudSpud

Atma's and Reaper's are great options but not in the picture unless I start farming Meph with my Blizzy. Not a bad idea now that I think of it, as I could really use some more Duriel's...

I am certainly leaning this way, though the 15 IAS/14 %ED jewel seemed so great at the time.. Shael maintains 80% IAS, which means a 9/3 strafe. But as long as I am above 56 IAS, the only change would be a 10/3 strafe, and normal / multi / MA / FA the same at 10 frames. Losing 1 frame on the Strafe seems a wash to me, so I think I will take your advice and go with LoH/Lava and WTravs.
    The Decoy pts were primarily for Valk life synergy. Valk lasts pretty well, but she still dies at higher players settings. And a longer lasting scout Decoy is always welcome, should skill pts be plentiful.
    Pierce is at 96% with RTail. Crit is hitting diminishing returns hard now (62, next slvl is 63...), and this is why I was considering Valk / Decoy, and maybe D/A/E for survivability (though this is debatable - I'd likely be better off running....)
    Yeah, it does sound weird. In HC, more vit always seems to be more better. But you might be right. As she is, she can take at least 1 if not 2 hard hits, though the FR/CR are pretty low ATM. And more damage means more leech, and with a buff Valk I should be able to stave off too many NDE's. Still, the margin for error is near zero...

Thanks for the tips,
    TehSpud

Good luck!

Last edited: Oct 22, 2009
  12. DudSpud

Thanks for the link. It seems that Heskla had the same idea as I, using an Uppe'ed WWS for PI's, maxing Strafe and Penetrate.

The biggest difference is that Heskla had almost no vit, - less than 600 HP in gear this seems like a Deeds wish in HC. For me at least - maybe Heskla has crazy mad skillz and had no deaths... I'm not worthy.

As for the Treachery, I don't think giving up the res/str (and ergo Vit) and life of the LH is worth the IAS. I am only gaining a frame here or there, still at an X/3 strafe, and the Fade seems unreliable, especially in HC.

Again, maybe I am just not as leet as Heskla, but I think it is important to know one's limitations.

Thanks,
    TehSpud

13. NagisaFurukawa

NagisaFurukawa Diabloii.Net Member

Don't rely on D/A/E to save you. It can get you killed just as easily. I would just dump points into Decoy, or maybe try out a 1 point (that's all you need) Lightning Bolt if you happen to have a nice javelin (Demon's Arch, Thunderstroke). The damage won't be too great without high dexterity (or 'Fortitude'), but it's a possibility. Plus you get a shield switch, which can be nice.

P.S. Is it just me or does this thread really have 50,952 views so far?

14. Rhone

Rhone Diabloii.Net Member

Maybe someone is seriously riding the Reload button..

15. DudSpud

I see 1,660-ish. Still, that's high. I have only checked back in a couple of hundred times in the last 24 hrs at most...

Yes, I'm kidding.

TehSpud

16. Hector

Hector Diabloii.Net Member

And counting, it's at 54,987 already. You know, 'zons are really awesome and popular. :D