Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

HC SP (obviously) trapper

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by DudSpud, Aug 31, 2006.

1. DudSpud

DudSpud IncGamers Member

HC SP (obviously) trapper

So my first ever 'sin, a lightning trapper is deep in NM A5. I have maxxed FB/LS/DS, one point in the trap pre-reqs, 1 pt in all shadow skills except venom (0 pts) and 2 in fade and Shadow Master...

The question - and I am only moderately twinked, so please don't offer any expensive options - Where do I spend my skill points now? I want to boost the Shadow Master, but so far I have been disappointed in her, perhaps because of low skills. I have a +3 Shadow helm, and 2 +2 All claws, so when cast in town she starts at lvl 9. I like the idea of an extra, not-my-damage minion to ensure that I can handle immunes, but except for the oft-cast MB, she doesn't seem to do much except die. Moreover, LS is nice but more damge would be more better, so I usually go with DS as soon as I get a corpse, but it still isn't uber in NM p/8.

I am probably in my endgame gear, with the possible exception of switching out my +1 all rare circlet for Nat's helm and the extra Res and MDR synergy with my Nat's boots and using the 70 saved stats to switch Saracen's for a +2 trap ammy. Fade only (probably) needs a few more points, and then only later in Hell (should she live that long...). Oh, and the Merc is Holy Freeze with embarrassing gear (Insight Partizan-yes I'm RWM - 2 pRub eth Spirit Forge and 1-upped Undead Crown, the only source of leech and a slight improvement over the 1-upped Wormskull...).

So, forget the SM, go with SW and immunes be damned (er.., that is, parked) and boost CBS or SW? Or perhaps, "in for a penny, in for a pound," and get the SW up to 17 when town cast? Or third, drop SM all together and get SW to 17?

Thoughts, Oh Wise Collective?

Thanks in advance,
    DudSpud

2. FrostBurn

FrostBurn IncGamers Member

I have a Phoenix Striker with maxed SM at slvl 30. I'll say this to you; don't expect even a maxed SM to kill things. At /p8, no chance. At /p1, sometimes, but she's awfully slow. The SW will be even worse. The Shadows, like the Valkyrie, are there as meatshields to hold the mobs at bay while you do your thing.

The other problem for a trapper is that, given your heavy investment in the trap skills, your shadow will likely emulate you, and lay traps of her own. This is wonderful (not), since there is a max of 5 traps at any one time, and you can be sure that your shadow will likely spam traps behind a bush while destroying your strategically placed traps due to the 5 trap limit.

Although a SM will at times use the martial arts skills, they will do pitiful damage due to your lack of investment in that tree. So don't expect much help there. At best, your Shadow will be best at laying traps, which is what you are doing anyway, and competing with the 5 trap limit.

I'm not saying that the Shadow will lay traps often, but when she does, it will be annoying thanks to the disruption to your own traps. If you can rely on your merc, then forget the shadow and concentrate on macing LS's synergies. If you really need a shadow to help with the tanking, then invest in her, but bear in mind that she won't kill much and will over-ride your traps from time to time.

3. Serdash

Serdash IncGamers Member

My PvP trapper maintains almost 12k lightning damage while able to still cast a level 19 shadow master all at level 89.

Given she wears 10x trap skillers along with gear granting +11 to all skills and +4 to LS. >.>

<.<

Shadow master is fairly worthless, gogo ls synergies.

4. DudSpud

DudSpud IncGamers Member

Preference? CBS for the single big guys like bosses (I played mostly 'Zons before and Charged Strike is nice...) or SW for area affect?

As I understand it, the items an SM/SW spawns with are slvl dependent. Are there any recommended slvl to reach for effective gear/life?

Thanks,
    DudSpud

5. FrostBurn

Recommended slvl is 17 for SM which is when she gets all her gear. Slvl 18 will add an additional +1 to her own spell levels, and increments of +3 to the SM skill will add +1 to the SM's spell levels.

SW is fairly worthless as it does damage once every 25 frames, although it looks pretty. CBS does more damage but is pretty hard to lay in a pattern that will ensure most of the bolts hit your big targets, like Baal.

So, CBS if you have a knack of laying it well, and note that even experienced players in the sin forum prefer to use LS due to the difficulty with aiming CBS, or SW if you're going to stick with LS, as you can then throw spikes once you have all 5 traps laid.

6. DudSpud

DudSpud IncGamers Member

Frosty, thanks for the tips, once again. You and I seem to keep posting about the same characters - Fending spearies, LF/FA hybrids, and now L-trappers. So what other builds would/are you playing now, or are you playing / have played them all?

DudSpud

7. Deaddave

Deaddave IncGamers Member

if your hardcore and want to be realy safe i rekonmend cloak of shadows, u can then mo down the enermys with out them even seeing u

8. DudSpud

DudSpud IncGamers Member

I use CoS early and often, especially against ranged attackes like archers and gloams. Is there an slvl of CoS you recommend as most useful?

DudSpud

9. Deaddave

Deaddave IncGamers Member

theres no 'perfect number' of points to put in it, i normaly just dump any spare skill points in it after maxing out my main attack skills,

10. FrostBurn

Hahaha! I certainly have not played them all. I could do a Nightfish (the audacity of myself to even make such a comparison with god himself) and churn out character after character, but I like to pace myself.

In SP, I have so far only built a Blizzballer (sorcs being my prime class), Skelliemancer, Phoenix Striker, Conviction-Fanaticism Zealot and Wind Druid. For me, the fun lies in the careful designing and meticulous planning of a character as much as playing it.

Although at present, I'm at the verge of bashing my face in with my dilemma over the best Amazon to build. I have rushed through to Hell WSK a LF/CS/LS/Fend zon, LF/CS/FA zon and a LF/CS/PJ zon. I'm currently conducting tests to ascertain the best build at /players8. And therein lies the problem. I'm really struggling to come up with a build that can do /p8 comfortably.

And the seventh in my septavirate will be an IK barb, only because I can't stand them, so I'll settle for a cookie-cutter and get it over and done with.