Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

HC Sorc build help

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by JernFist, Mar 8, 2009.

1. JernFist

JernFist Diabloii.Net Member

HC Sorc build help

Hi everyone!

I'm going to make a serious attempt at finishing hell Baal on HC.

SP untwinked, maybe with ATMA. LOD 1.12a.

Decided on a Sorc because I'm reasonably experienced with her and low item dependance.

Do you have any advice on builds for me? Main goal is just NOT DYING and finishing the game, but reasonable killing speed would be nice.

I could post this in Sorc/HC forum if more appropiate.

Thanks!

2. lionheartthebrave

lionheartthebrave Diabloii.Net Member

Re: HC Sorc build help

You sound like you've come from BNet

becoming a Guardian with a sorc untwinked has been done many times (I believe InsaneWayne did it naked)

Check out the HCsorc section of the mat/pat/guardian compendium to see what skills people used

Good Luck

3. Pijus

Pijus Diabloii.Net Member

I'd say blizzballer. Last time I tried meteorb, she died in act3 hell, because orb couldn't stunlock the raptors.

4. Hp_Sauce

Hp_Sauce Diabloii.Net Member

I would say, from my own experience, that Blizzballers are the most versatile and least gear dependant. With really good gear, they are a force to be reckoned with. Without really good gear they are able to get by just fine. Make sure you keep your merc alive and up front (via teleport), and make sure you retreat when it's needed.

Meteorb is also an option, but personally I can't stand the meteor spell. I don't like waiting for it to fall.

As an added bonus with Blizzballers, Fireball is a nice skill to carry you through normal while you're waiting for Blizzard.

-hps

5. Antonio

Antonio Diabloii.Net Member

Meteorb is a bit of a misnomer, because a lot of Meteorb sorceresses use Fireball as primary skill, Frozen orb as backup and Meteor only as situational skill.

6. sike

sike Banned

ela!

- Most important when going untwinked (~first time) HC is: dont rush! I don't mean 'rush' in full sense of it, but more like 'hurry'. That is a very common mistake which, i think it has happened to every HC-er. Essentially you don't respect the game. You'll have full respect for Frenzytaurs but will ignore Flayers, then suddenly they surprise you like you could't believe; in a group of 20 of them there is hidden a FE extra boss... I'm just giving you idea.
    - It has happened to me, from some reason I've lost concentration, thus i forgot the ''respect rule'' which applies for entire game and every single monster, and then again...

- Get that and you are 50% done, you can go, even naked? naked ok.
    - Though some extra security won't hurt you. I suggest you max block (75%), where you could plan for a Whistan's shield if you'll MF Nightmare all-in-all even half an hour, it's not hard to drop it. As much as you can in vitality, but you'll probably need a few energy/warmth points since if everything you'll think on be how to drink mana potion next sec. you may not see the next second. That is what i think, so i like to put first 15-25 in energy and 3-6 in warmth, with untwinked HC Sorc always.
    - I like 'Orbballer' build over the 'Blizzballer'. First cose of less mana demand, then. For a nice untwinked Fireball you'll have to spend 60 pts. what leaves you very little, and Orb is much better than Blizzard with less/or 40 available points. Though it is not a huge difference, but more a question of taste. So you won't do wrong with either, you could just do it better =)

- That's it, have a nice time and, remember the rule!

7. Hp_Sauce

This does not strike me as good advise. I can't fathom giving up my first 30-50 hit points in favour of being to lazy to drink a mana pot.

Pickup and sell Throwing Knives, use the gold to fill your inventory full of blue pots.

just my opinion.
    -hps

8. Pijus

What Hp_Sauce said.

Energy gives pretty poor returns, and you will need all the life you can get. Don't skip block to get more vit though, or you'll die to one of those traps that shoot from the walls in the flayer dungeon:whistling:

9. sike

sike Banned

- And what about the first part? Was i right with the ''respect the game'' note?

- Purely curiouse what my fellow HC-ers think about it? I believe most of the experienced HC players are almost ignoring it, more like an everyday thing i.e. you live with that. But it should be very important for the new-comers, to get known with whole HC ''playstyle''.
    - It is a whole philosophy behinde HC campaign, as an example you can work and work and months, and one day make yourself ''Enigma'', and be-prepared-to-loose-it.
    - Else?

10. Pijus

I think Sauce only meant that its not good advice for the part he quoted.

I kind of agree about the first part.
    As I read in an HC guide:
    "assume it can kill you quickly"

11. sorcererbob

sorcererbob Diabloii.Net Member

He's onto something for sure. I was playing my pure full twink bliz sorc in NM Act 3 earlier tonight. My merc had just been equipped with Insight and I was carving it up. Naturally, the tactic was run in, bliz, keep moving without looking. The chick was so powerful it wasn't a problem. Then came the extra strong fire enchanted blow-dart dolls. There was a moment of panic as I got block locked while trying to teleport away. Thankfully I survived, but a couple of unlucky rolls with my blocking would have ended not so luckily.

So my tip for you is that most killing machines are glass canons. Be cautious and slow to ensure survival.

12. Hp_Sauce

No, I only disagreed with the "put points in energy early on" part of your post.

Certainly a healthy respect for the game and a dose of patience will get you a long way in HC! A bit of knowledge about your skills and your enemies ability to do damage will help as well.

Know thy enemy
    Know thyself

"You've got to know when to hold'em
    Know when to fold'em
    Know when to walk away
    Know when to run."

However you like to put it. :nod:
    -hps