Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

HC players!?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by krzyhobo, Apr 1, 2005.

1. krzyhobo

krzyhobo IncGamers Member

HC players!?

As of late my interest in D2 has been dwindling. To make a long story short I've decided to juice things up by deleting or donating every SC item and character on my 'puter and will start anew - entirely in HC. I'll be collecting for a HC grail and will, slowly but surely, begin my journey towards at least one guardian of each class.

How many of you out there in SP-land have done something similar? Has anyone completed (or even come close) to a full HC grail? Anyway, I'm off to build my first ever HC characters: an overlord necromancer and a martial arts/trapper hybrid assassin.

I'd love to hear y'all's (that just sent my inner grammar-nerd into seizure) stories about your first attempts at HC and would especially love to hear about anyone who plays HC exclusively.

2. DX-Crawler

DX-Crawler Banned

One Guardian of each have been made but none here that I know of have completed a selffound HCgrail, if you intend to do that be prepared to be here for a long time, I'm have gotten pretty far with my HC grail, have 5 sets and 23 uniques left but those I have left will take longer time to get than it took to obtain all the others.

So all I can say is good luck

DX

3. jiansonz

jiansonz IncGamers Member

Make sure you keep one Slayer or higher, or one HC character, otherwise you can´t make HC characters (unless you create them with ATMA)!

I am "grailing" as well as I can with my playing style (HC, untwinked, 'full clear once'). I only record the observations of found items, I don´t actually keep the items. Because of my playstyle, I am not so often in high-level areas (and because I mostly play challenging builds, rarely above /p1 anywhere in Hell) I am very far from completion when it comes to set & unique items:
    Normal: lack a few
    Nightmare: less than 50% found
    Hell: only seen a handful, and none in a higher TC than 75.

For base item types it´s better. I only lack a few there.

Three Guardians in 1.10 so far, of three different classes. :D

My first attempt...uh...must be my 1.09 bowazon. She made it to Hell Cold Plains where an MSLE Fallen Shaman killed her with his Bolts o´White Death. My Freezing Arrows must have pierced his minions and hit him. I hadn´t even seen that boss when the amazon died...

4. DX-Crawler

DX-Crawler Banned

Ohhh I forgot about my first attempt.

Must have been in Classic can't remember which patch. I played a spearzon it was before Jab was dependant on weaponspeed and she died to the summoner in NM.
    She got really crispie in that fire, it was one of the most nasty creatures in Classic IMO

DX

5. Corrupted

Corrupted IncGamers Member

You no longer need that, as soon as you have made a HC character the registry setting is changed, IIRC.

6. Ryoko-Shimo

Ryoko-Shimo Banned

I really LÖÖÖÖÖV hc :p but i really hate to die :/ i diead at lvl 85 or so at b.net :(

7. Zavior

Zavior IncGamers Member

That is not needed. You can change allowhc in your registry by yourself.

8. Gouda

Gouda IncGamers Member

First char:

Not sure, but my first quite succesfull char was a summoner in 1.09, who could not get past hell diablo. Offcourse i wasn't magic finding at that time so his equip was decent at best. Still, must have tried to defeat Diablo at least 30 times. He got deleted as soon as i started my next char, a 1.09 WW druid.

Right now i am working on a self-found grail and a septavirate which has the following score:

Guardian Niobe - LF-javazon - Finished - lvl 86
    Guardian Trinity - Trapassassin - Finished - lvl 84
    Destroyer Morpheus - Concentrate/Berserk barb - act V, nm - lvl 64
    The Twins - Shockbear + Grizzly - act III, norm - lvl 32
    Destroyer Merovingian - Fishymancer - act V, nm - lvl 70
    Guardian Agent Smith - Fanatic zealot/convertadin - Finished - lvl 83
    Destroyer Persephone - Fire and Ice sorc - act V, nm - lvl 68

Unfortunately i get side tracked by tournaments, so my three guardians are tournament chars. My three destroyers are also tournament chars, and the last one hasn't gotten anywhere yet.

For MFing the same: most progress was made after TWD 1, when i got to keep my stash of goodies, and a few MFO's where i participated.
    The score: 215 items found, 291 to go. Only 10 elite's found, not sure about item lvls and such.

Have fun,

Gouda

9. tigercan

tigercan IncGamers Member

Like you I got bored of SC and am playing HC exclusively now (untwinked too)

So far I've only completed with the one character (trapassin) and had my lvl 70 pally die to a FE explosion :(
    Currently have 2-3 characters in the mid 20's.

1st ever HC character was a throwbarb (in honor of the great Spearthrower) but after beating normal I was too scared to venture into NM :D

I'm collecting serts/uniques but expect it'll be a long time before I even come close to completing the grail - MF runs are kinda boring to me right now

10. DX-Crawler

DX-Crawler Banned

Why bother you can start a HC character using ATMA much easier

DX

11. Ryoko-Shimo

Ryoko-Shimo Banned

I think i will quit SC and start HC :clap:

But any of you know a good mf character exept sorceress , that can take som beating ? :drink: Im talking about a untwinked characters

12. skunkbelly

skunkbelly IncGamers Member

Once you start HC, there's no going back. It's a completely new game... and much more fun.

For an MF char: well, sorcy's are the best, for speed. But a javazon can also do nicely, depending on where you're playing... and a skellimancer can be terrific, though slow and godawful boring.

Or try a horker barb...

13. DX-Crawler

DX-Crawler Banned

Skelliemancer is the easiest way of starting HC. He can run every area of the game and it's hard to kill him

DX

14. farting bob

farting bob Banned

fishymancers arent boring, and are probably the best HC MF character, due to the high amount of MF possible to wear and the safety aspect. sorcs generally are less safe.

15. Shade

Shade IncGamers Member

You can go back, it just makes SC seem somehow a bit more pointless. :)

Anyway, good MF builds that aren't sorceresses... try a Javazon. Kills effectively and has enormous power, but you won't be able to effectively swap weapons to an MF-set before killing - unless you want your merc/Valk to kill for you.

A Skellymancer is quite good, what with the survivability. Just remember to bring a decent weapon so you can help out :)

WW Druids are fairly durable. If you get lucky on the NM Hellforge and score an Um, Crescent Moon + Fury = utter destruction. :D

16. XorceR

XorceR IncGamers Member

Switching to HC is well worth it. It's an entirely different game, and it totally changes the way you play the game. I started playing HC about a year ago and never looked back. My current goals are getting a HC Septavirate and to get as close as possible to a self-found HC grail.
    I already have two Guardians of the seven:
    Guardian SniPe_XR lvl 86 MA Bowazon RIP
    Guardian UnHoly_XR lvl 91 skelliemancer

I was veeery close to getting a pally Guardian too, an Avenger who was slaughtered by Hell Ancients. Well, that was painful.

Anyway, welcome to the club :thumbsup:

17. colony

colony IncGamers Member

About 6 months to a year ago I tried to get a Guardian of each clas. I managed to get a cheesadin, a javazon and a conc. barb to guardian. I tried making a zealot as well, and he got to lvl70, and looks like he died in the Den of Evil in Hell fram what I can see on ATMA.

I actually went back to playing SC recently and the only thing I really missed was that constant feeling of paranoia about going near any quick monsters, and checking every single unique for FE/cursed/extra stron/extra fast.

18. Shagsbeard

Shagsbeard IncGamers Member

Fishy's lose the MF battle do to the rate that they kill stuff. It's not that they can't kill stuff, it's just that it takes a lot longer to do so. I'd say the sorc wins the MF title, or possibly the javazon. But it's close enough that play style is more important than character choice. All classes can MF. They're all within the same ballpark, though I'd put the druid near the bottom of the pack (from personal experience).

19. Ryoko-Shimo

Ryoko-Shimo Banned

Okey :) but i have started a skelly necromancer hes now at level 25 :thumbsup:

just killed duriel.. i had a skellymancer at hc b.net before at level 80 but he was not so good :( and my account got hacked :cheesy: