Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

HC Pally Cleric

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by Tinfoot, Mar 17, 2004.

1. Tinfoot

Tinfoot IncGamers Member

HC Pally Cleric

Ever since I read "TheMad0nion’s Cleric" guide ( http://strategy.diabloii.net/news.php?id=537 ), I've wanted to make a HC version. I will first play it SC, prolly, since I haven't played a pally since 2000 :p

However, are there any current HC Pally Cleric players? Basically, I was wondering if there were any "sub-class" variants to consider.

Cheers!

:)

2. CoonerTheRed

CoonerTheRed IncGamers Member

depends on what you want your cleric to do... couple options (as i see em):

1. straight up cleric, do no harm, only be the medical person for your party, using meditation (1 pt of course), max prayer, max holy bolt, salvation, etc

2. holy bolter (making up names as i go) same as above, but the ultimate undead killer, using damage synergies (MadOnions build)

3. (IMO) a slightly more useful all-around party-pali, max conv, prayer, hb, etc, then it's meditation/cleans (with prayer bonus) in between skurmishes, but conviction during battles (of course still spewing holy bolts all over the place). You're still a cleric with the hb, but the entire party will love your max conv too.

ps: don't bother with the sc part... these guys don't need perfect skill allocation or too much practice... just showing up makes you best friends with any party, and if you stay off a little to one side, you should be far enough away from any monsters to be ok. just make sure resists are good of course...

3. Tinfoot

Tinfoot IncGamers Member

Hmmm, the 3rd does seem to be a more all-purpose type. I would want some sort of limited ability to solo when no one is around... so although I am personally inclined strongly to the first :p .... the second ("Holy Bolter" as named ;) ) and the third would seem to be the closest thing to a general type...

As said tho, last time I actually played a paladin was my very first 1 player character, back in 2000 on a US Navy laptop on my last deployment, and one must admit that personal style will influence even a cookie cutter character (what can be more fun yet more disgustingly deadly than playing an assasin like a barb? LMAO). My primary character types in the -ahem- bigger Online games (ala EQ, DAOC, even Anarchy Offline...) have always been the straight-up healing, no-bite types. So I will take your advice, CoonerTheRed, and not bother with the SC - but that being the case... I'll prolly be better off starting of with a compromise between all-out healer and Conviction as a secondary since I am well aquainted with the mind-set of a healer if not the skill/usage (yet ;) ).

4. skunkbelly

skunkbelly IncGamers Member

I have a Holy Bolt pally who I created as a strictly MF character. He's having lots of fun in the Crypt and Mausoleum, and is nearly ready to venture into the Ancient Tunnels as well.

The build, basically:

20 Holy Bolt
    20 Fist of the Heavens
    20 Blessed Hammer
    5 in Salvation (main aura... see below)
    5-10 in Holy Shield
    Rest in pre-req's and whatever else you want (I put a couple in fire/lightning resists, for the passive bonuses).

OK, so it's not the most practical build in terms of soloing the game... but he can kill any normal monster in the Crypt and Mausoleum in one or two bolts (sometimes the zombies have a sliver left after the first bolt).

Why Salvation? With the +skills from gear, the char has +91 to all resists (except poison), so his gear is freed up for MF: currently wearing topazed skullders and tarns, gull dagger, rhyme shield, goldwrap, rings and amys with some small MF and resists. With a Gheed's and a few small mf charms, he's up to 430 MF. His act1 cold merc (chosen so that she won't get in the way and block the bolts) has another 96%... and with goldstrike arch, she can actually help kill.

5. STINGER

STINGER IncGamers Member

I find the all out Cleric simply a wasted build although can be nice to have around, but any "killing build" can spend the points to also provide clerical aid!

Pallys can cover resists so easily it allows for max +skills thus giving 1 point in many skills lvl 8+ easy and Clerical skills are excellent in these lvls as well as maxed.

How many people stand around with half thier life gone waiting for the Cleric to heal them? If they do they deserve a nice life finishing smack from some ugly nasty bastard!

Go for your build if you want, have fun its you game so dont let me stop you but I just see spenidn **+ lvls in total Clerical work some seriously boring play and almost never appreciated!

One thing almost all Pallys I see in xpac never seem to have is mediation. 1 point in Mediation can be godly! When another pally is present one can go mediate and both are mana loaded and never drink, or redem, and Sorcs and Necro cream thier jeans!

6. CoonerTheRed

Skunks, your cleric isn't really a cleric, he's the ultimate undead slayer :D

The name "cleric" comes from "one who heals" and therefore doesn't kill. Salvation is cause it goes nicely with the party build of helping all others be as safe and healthy as possible :D

7. CoonerTheRed

sorry double post, just read stinger's post after replying to skunkbelly's

anyway, i agree, Stinger... I've never made an "all-healing" true cleric myself... just didn't look like fun. But all my palis have 1 in all defensive auras (except single resists for a fanat/zeal pali) just cause i like playing with all the pretty auras, and vigor and meditation are just too nice not to have for between skirmishes.

8. skunkbelly

skunkbelly IncGamers Member

You say Tom-A-to, I say Tom-AHHH-to... :D

No, my pally isn't really a cleric... but it is another viable (well, sorta) build using the same basic skills (minus prayer, of course)... but I still heal Heather, my loyal merc ;)

9. Tinfoot

Tinfoot IncGamers Member

I totally agree! But it wouldn't be up to the other party members to come for healing (especially when it only takes a quick TP or a smash on a belt number), but the Cleric to keep one eye on the portraits and another on the main screen, and heal as deem appropiate. I'll be honest, I was considering it last night as I played Tinfoot the Cleric pally for the first time and looking at thing in general.

I certainly was a big boon to Necro/Druid pets... :roll: LOL ... But I don't think I'll even feel comfortable using HB to whap health into a nutter.

All in all, I am very inclined with the idea that a all-healer may very well be a wasted slot, Stinger, but buggers - I really don't want to have the "usual" build, so I am going to give "heavy party support" a whirl tho with a nutty twist just to be a weird one ;)

So far, what I have decided on for party support is at least this:

Prayer: 20 (36 yard radius at 25hp a sec... mmmm, now that seems like a heal LOL)
    Cleansing: 1
    Meditation: 9 (or even more... at least 9 tho since I like round radius numbers... ehehe - and yes, its overkill, but if ya gonna do something off-the-wall, might as well go extreme)

For individual play, I'm thinking about slanting towards main-support for the merc (prolly go with the barbie merc) as opposed to the usual merc being support for me. Yes, I know, likely asking for an early ignonimous death... :p

Stat wise, a bit more of the norm - Dex for block - Str enough to wear stuff - heavy Vitality... and bare Eng (I actually pumped it to 25 in a fit of mana potion drinking, but not going to put up any further).

I dunno if there is already a guide for this sorta "Support Cleric" build, but I'll roll with it. :D