Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

HC Holy Shock

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by Valeli, May 1, 2015.

1. Valeli

Valeli IncGamers Member

I was thinking of making a holy shock paladin for SP/HC.

How do you think he'd do playing mostly untwinked (without any fancy high runes at least, since I can't really grab those left and right on SP)? Zealots have been my favorite class, but they always end up dying in Hell. Either to those annoying undead stygian dolls when they go boom, or to some huge pack of glooms (I've run holy freeze ones and the standard fantacism one previously).

I'm thinking a holy shock version would be super-safe though. I loose the slow of holy freeze, but my main problem has always been glooms and bumping up the max lightning resist 10% has got to go a long way to fixing that issue, right? I can keep holy freeze if I go act two defensive anyways. Although I probably would want blessed aim eventually unless I get some good ITD weapon.

Would you focus on maxing sacrifice to help deal with lightning immunes, or on maxing whatever skill it was that added to the +light damage/attack from holy shock? I was thinking sacrifice, because I won't be getting infinity any time soon (and if I do, it's going on a sorceress). Is that sacrifice synergy alone enough to let you deal with LI stuff reasonably though, or will the build stumble there?

For weapons I was thinking a crescent moon works well with him, and is something I can manage pretty easily even on SP. I'll probably end up slapping Smoke Armor on him, unless I find something cool. Try to get a ravenfrost. Nothing really surprising. Craft some stuff. Any moderately-easy-to-get gear you can think of I might have missed though?

2. UntwinkedPatriarch

UntwinkedPatriarch IncGamers Member

You are absolutely correct - +10% max LR makes a huge difference. Mathematically, it effectively reduces the lightning dmg you take by 40%.

I recently guardianed an untwinked HS/HF hybrid. With a some frugal use of resources, you can even end up with 3 decent types of damage. (lightning, cold, physical from crushing blow) Holy Shock ends up dealing more damage, but Holy Freeze was more than enough to deal with enemies that are lightning immune or highly resistant. For the uber rare LI/CI, you have crushing blow + merc. A very safe and versatile build.

The skeleton of the build was 20 points each in Holy Freeze, Holy Shock, Resist Cold, Resist Lightning with 4 points in zeal. The remaining points: use Holy Shield and/or Salvation, and/or season to taste.

El cheapo gear
    Smoke -
    just as you mentioned
    Phase Blade with 4x Eth 2x Shael (see Larzuk for help) -> -100% enemy defense > Ignore target defense.
    Crafted Blood Gloves - CB + fast attack = good times; life leech and +life are gravy
    Rhyme in the highest resistance paladin shield you find -> no need to farm for a ravenfrost.
    Boots & Belt - ones with as much resistances as possible from gambling
    Between the helm and amulet, it's quite easy to get between +4 and +6 to offensive auras.

P.S.
    Why are you killing stygian dolls?
    That's the merc's job.

Hopefully this helps you flesh out your character.

3. Valeli

Valeli IncGamers Member

Haha. Yeah. Why do I kill stygian dolls indeed... that's a totally avoidable cause of death. When it's happened it's mostly just been due to me being sloppy. Or sometimes due to me feeling way overpowered. Feeling way over-powered is a really good way to make myself go boom, I've found out.

Honestly, I think the glooms are the only thing that's a real issue. Well, sometimes you can get packs that just spawn with super-nasty mods. But as far as anything common, it's definitely the glooms. I feel that I can probably be really safe if I can just manage them well.

I never really thought of trying just 4 points in zeal. I guess that would work handily if you socket a phase blade as you suggest though, which never crossed my mind. But that would be pretty good for an aura set up. Great idea. I'd actually forgot about rhyme too. That's a handy little shield. Thanks for the help.

4. UntwinkedPatriarch

UntwinkedPatriarch IncGamers Member

No problemo. Good luck. And may you not encounter too many conviction enchanted gloams. ;)