Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

HC Full Blizzard sorc questions

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by d00m2k, Sep 15, 2006.

1. d00m2k

d00m2k IncGamers Member

HC Full Blizzard sorc questions

I'm making a hardcore blizzard sorc, single element. The character is primarily for MF'ing, but would also be able to protect herself/others from random PKers who come into games and hostile everyone (which I've found Blizz + CM to be extremely good at stopping). The build would be fairly simple for cold: 20 CM, 20 Blizz, 20 Gspike, 20 IceBlast, rest of the points into IceBolt.

But the rest of the points I have some questions on: Obviously 1 pt into Teleport + prereq (telekinesis). Should I put the 3 pts into prereqs for Energy Shield as well? Since it's HC and sorc has low life, I'm guessing so. Or should I try to find a wand with +energy shield, and use that on switch?

What about cold armors? From what I hear Shiver armor is the best for teleporting through areas, but why wouldnt frozen be the best? It actually freezes. I'm assuming it doesn't freeze long enough on hell difficulty. Should I put a point into Shiver armor, or try to find a wand on switch for it?

Is one point into Warmth worth it?

For gear, keep in mind I dont have anything that adds to stat points to begin with, but I can guess I might have a bit of +str/dex. So, I might have to put a lot of hardpoints towards my gear. I will have a teleporting gear set (for surviving/rushing) and a MF set (for boss killing). The highest str I think I'll need is 110 for Tgods, right? For surviving I can just use Mosers for a ton of resists and high block for my shield, then switch to rhyme or some MF for boss killing. What shield should I calculate my max block with (obviously for survival)?

And any suggestions you have, feel free to post them.

2. Azzaron

Azzaron IncGamers Member

Is this on ladder? If so, you may want to consider more strength so that you can get up to 156 str for a spirit monarch.

Don't go with energy shield, just put lots of points into vitality. Resistances are not checked before mana is taken away from energy shield. Trust me on this one! :)

Make sure you get enough dex for max block. That will do more for you than a tiny bit more life. Calculate your max block to 42% for the spirit monarch.

One point in warmth is enough. Just pop some potions as needed.

Go with shiver armour, it's the best one. No one (NO ONE) gets frozen in hell difficulty.

3. MageChick

MageChick IncGamers Member

Max block with spirit? Will you even have any stat points left to put into vit? I don't mean to sound critical, but I've never seen anyone do that (or max block on a lidless either for that matter.) Maybe this is a SC vs. HC thing - I never got into HC so I'm by no means an expert there.

4. PhatTrumpet

PhatTrumpet IncGamers Member

That was a joke, right? Please tell me that was just a really bad joke.

I'd highly recommend maxing Telekenesis and, if possible, putting something on your weapon switch that boosts EShield up a bit (unique Gothic Staff adds 6 to ES, a 'Memory' staff can add up to 9 to ES). Why?

- 9 out of 10 TPPKs are Cold Sorcs with tons of Cold Mastery. ES gets checked before resists, so it will absorb a good chunk of their cold damage before their Cold Mastery goes and lowers your cold res to around -1,000,000%. Plus, even if it's not all that effective, it's still a nice little buffer to have running at all times.

- One of the perks of a single-element Sorc is that you can get respectable damage without having to invest every single skill point into synergies. If you were dual-element I'd say forget about EShield entirely... but you're not... so don't.

As for the cold armor question, that's a matter of personal preference. If you think you'll have decent base defense from gear, go ahead and use Shiver Armor since it grants the highest amount of enhanced defense. If you don't think you'll have decent base defense from gear, go with Frozen Armor since 200% of not much is still not all that much. I'd probably tend toward Frozen since it doesn't sound like you have a lot of gear, and even though the monsters may not be frozen for more than a fraction of a second, it'll still be enough time to Teleport away.

5. MageChick

MageChick IncGamers Member

You know I never thougth of ES as good by taking damage BEFORE applying your resists. But against massive CM I guess it actually helps. Weird. Although this will mean you take the stated damage, not 2x the stated damage. The cap on -resists is -100% right (double damage compared to zero resists).

6. d00m2k

d00m2k IncGamers Member

I will not put dex in for spirit max block. That's like 300 dex.

I really do want a full Blizz synergy, so it's either a point into ES for like 50% damage reduction, or nothing.

And should I NOT put points into ES/Shiver, and find a wand with +es and +shiver?

7. FrostBurn

FrostBurn IncGamers Member

8. Nilaripper

Nilaripper IncGamers Member

Protect yourself from random pkers?Well i guess no pker will get you, but the TPPKs will.The cold TPPKs do 10-12k damage per iceblast,a maxed out ES(lvl40ES-20TK) reduces the damage per blast to 1500(12k/6=2k...2k*0.75=1500).To tank 2 iceblasts with ES you need 3k mana for ES.The remaining 5%damage(95% is covered by ES at lvl40) will go to your life.The Windforce bowie does about 12k guided arrow damage=the same damage: you could cover 2 arrow hits with the ES.
    No ES at all?12k ib hits you with -275 from cm.My HCL public sorc has 460coldresi and she ignores the damage.(460-275=185in hell).If 12k ib damge hits an non stacked resis sorc it doubles the damage:12/6=2k....with -100resis this damage will be doubled=~4k damage to your life bulb(only one blast).My sorc has stillmax resis and dual ravens, 25% of the 2k blast hit me, and 40% of this damage is absorbed.The sorc you will build will deal nice damage,but she will be unprotected to TPPKs.If you play public with chars you do not know i predict you a fast rip.