Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

HC Frenzy Barb to Hell - (take two) - weapons??

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Pär, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Pär

Pär IncGamers Member

HC Frenzy Barb to Hell - (take two) - weapons??

Just finished running NM Meph a bunch on my formerly Berserker now re-educated Frenzy - barb.

Lvl 83 from previous Berserking career (up to Hell Lower Kurast, got disillusioned with the playstyle).

Problem (hence this post) is weapons.

I have no idea what to choose or a good spot to test that choice. 1pt in each 1h mastery - still have one respec available if need be later on. I have runes to upgrade anything from Normal to Exceptional but only one Pul rune, so can only up one Excep to Elite. Goal is to beat the game without massive numbers of Hell Meph runs or LK or Pits or AT or Council. I did finally give in and compromise my morals enough to accept that sometimes you have to use teleport charges on non-sorc chars to run stuff efficiently.

Options:
    2xButcher's Pupil
    Headstriker
    Upped Tan Do Li Ga
    2xEarthshaker
    Sureshrill Frost
    200 Chippies - enough to reroll (...reroll WHAT base?) about 63 times looking for a Cruel of Something?
    Todesfaelle Flamme
    ...various other Normal Uniques that I didn't think would be of use.
    Rune situation is 3 Lums and sets of 2 and 3 below that, and one Pul (found in Blood Moor right after starting Hell as a Berserker!). No Ko, Fal or Lem.

Rares of interest:
    Raven Song
    Rune Sword
    One Hand Damage: 42 - 183
    Durability: 33 of 44
    Required Level: 53
    Required Strength: 103
    Required Dexterity: 79
    Fingerprint: 0x147731ad
    Item Level: 66
    Version: Expansion 1.10+
    328% Enhanced Damage
    +4 to Maximum Damage
    +86 to Attack Rating
    4% Life stolen per hit
    +6 to Strength
    Required Level +5

Also, faster weapon is equipped first, right - so that way it ends up in main hand (right hand visual)?

Any advice would be appreciated. I can handle the resists issues with full Iratha's and a "Smoke" but would rather use my new Shaftstop and IK's Will or Tal Rasha's Crest. At least the merc is decently taken care of with an eth Cruel Hyperion Spear of the Leech quest-socketed with "AmnAmn" + "Smoke" + something.

2. Obdob

Obdob IncGamers Member

Re: HC Frenzy Barb to Hell - (take two) - weapons??

I'd go after the countess until you can make an eOath (probably sword) and a Lawbringer (Phase Blade). The rest of the game should be easy sailing from there. You may have to do a few pit runs for the ethereal base, but the countess is quite generous with runes.

3. naranjadita

naranjadita IncGamers Member

+1 to Obd.
    Lawbringer + anything hurty. Ancient Tunnels will fall to your feet.

4. Pär

Pär IncGamers Member

Arrighty, cheers for that.

Ok, so I'm looking for:

1. the runes (oh god)
    2. Lawbringer Sword/Hammer/Scepter (3os, Amn + Lem + Ko)

Oath ETHEREAL Sword/Axe/Mace (4os, Shael + Pul + Mal + Lum)

I'm assuming (which makes an *** out of you and me...) that I'd need a 3s Phaseblade for the Lawbringer and ethereal 4s any Elite Sword/Axe/Mace or is there a specific base I'm looking for, for the eOath?

And until then I'm using what weapons? Just trial and error?

5. jdkerr

jdkerr IncGamers Member

You will love Oath.

In the meantime, the Butcher's Pupils look good. I don't know if they are the absolute best choice, but the speed will be nice and the physical damage will help with your leeching.

As for bases, people often choose Balrog Blades. Larzuk will give them 4 sockets and they have a good damage/speed ratio. If you find any ethereal elite that can get four sockets (or is guaranteed to) and you like the range on it, run it through the attack speed calculator to see if it will be fast enough for you. "Mal" is a lot to spend, but "Oath" is a great runeword for the price and you won't regret it even if it is not the theoretically best possible base weapon. :)

6. Lompo

Lompo IncGamers Member

if one of your Butcher pupil have a nice dmg roll, consider to up it. You have the Pul needed, and the damage will not be much lower of an Oath.
    Just some calculation: Oath in a zerker axe will have avg dmg between 223 and 317, with an average roll at 270;
    a perfect upped Butcher pupil will have 187 avg dmg, plus 35% of Deadly strike -> (not counting the extra dmg from off-weapon dmg) your axe will effectively have 252 avg dmg; if you socket it with a decent %dmg/+dmg jewel you could easly arrive to 270-280 avg dmg, same dmg of an average Oath, all this without counting the extra dmg from OW.
    The cost is much lower (and without the need of countless runs to find the runes) and the only drawback is a lower speed (wghich you can compensate with a fast main hand weapon).
    You can coupple it with a fast weapon to reach a good bp (eventually the other Butcher shaeled), but if you have a Lacerator (better if eth) coupple with it.
    These are my two cents.
    Enjoy

7. Pär

Pär IncGamers Member

Thanks for all the advice, currently able to run Hell Countess (with some heart-stopping moments of oh-crap Fanaticism/blocked exit) with the old 155% ED Butcher's Pupil and Headstriker, all the rest of the stuff seemed not worth it, even the Sureshrill Frost which had a ton of Cold dmg on it.

...but I seem to have forgotten to leave myself enough talent points to go get Berserk for the PI's. So I'm using a wand of Lower Resist on weapon-switch, but that's not all that effective. Is there a better way to deal with PI's while I'm struggling with Hell Countess runs to get a Lawbringer and then (looooong time later) and eOath?

And wouldn't upgrading the Headstriker be a better deal than the BP? The Headstriker is up to 124% Deadly Strike by now.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
  8. Obdob

Obdob IncGamers Member

Lacerator would be a pretty siq off-hand weapon now that you mention it. An upped Butcher's Pupil with a Lacerator or Lawbringer would do you real good.

Phase Blade is your best base for Lawbringer: It's indestructible, the damage really doesn't matter (its all about decrepify and sanctuary), and its speed is already at -60.
    For the Oath base a Balrog Blade would be ideal, but a Highland Blade, Cryptic Sword, and Small Crescent are all fantastic alternatives that may be easier to find and socket.
    My Oaths are actually in 2 highland blades and a small crescent. I get too impatient i guess.

edit: run past them or war cry and run past them. You could probably up that Headstriker in place of Oath too.

9. jdkerr

jdkerr IncGamers Member

When you get Lawbringer, that will instantly solve the PI issue. Until then, Todesfaelle Flamme has 50-200 fire damage and Sureshrill Frost has 63-112 cold damage. I don't know what other weapons you have, but keeping those two on switch would probably get the job done (although I am too lazy to look up the speed right now). You might also consider whether or not you have any merc weapons with good elemental damage (Demon's Arch, Viperfork, Grim's Burning Dead, a nice magic or rare, etc.).

It also occurred to me that Crescent Moon could be a fun weapon for a Frenzy Barb:

Crescent Moon (Shael + Um + Tir)
    3 Socket Axes/Swords/Polearms
    10% Chance To Cast Level 17 Chain Lightning On Striking
    7% Chance To Cast Level 13 Static Field On Striking
    +20% Increased Attack Speed
    +180-220% Enhanced Damage (varies)
    Ignore Target's Defense
    -35% To Enemy Lightning Resistance
    25% Chance of Open Wounds
    +9-11 Magic Absorb (varies)
    +2 To Mana After Each Kill
    Level 18 Summon Spirit Wolf (30 Charges)

It all depends on what you are after. :)

10. SnickerSnack

SnickerSnack IncGamers Member

Lower Resist does not affect Physical Resist at all. You'll need some source of Amp Damage or Decrepify. A Lawbringer is often the best thing for a melee character against PIs. Atma's Scarab is good too, but its 2% ctc makes it hard to use. For now, I'd recommend Howling them away and just avoiding them.

Passion (highest rune is Lem) has +1 Berserk on it.

11. Lompo

Lompo IncGamers Member

Ds is capped at 100%, and considering that you may have other source of Ds (Gores, Highlords) you will reach the max Ds at around 50-60th lev., but it's a good option too: your base avg dmg upped will be 112, plus around 40-45 dmg (+1 max dmg/lev at high lev) makes 155 avg dmg , add 100% DS -> 310 avg dmg :yes:

12. Obdob

Obdob IncGamers Member

question.
    I think I know the answer to this but, does the DS from Headstriker affect your other weapon?

13. Lompo

Lompo IncGamers Member

No, it doesn't.

14. Pär

Pär IncGamers Member

Thanks everyone for contributing to this, it is much appreciated as I lie on the living room floor with a torn ITB/tendon/muscle something.

Hell Countess just dropped an Um and I've been dying to make "Crescent Moon" in SOMETHING, so it's going in a Highland or Balrog Blade in seconds.

I upped the Headstriker, but kinda think it's too slow compared to the Butcher's Pupil. Oh well.

15. Pär

Pär IncGamers Member

woot!

the same run that dropped the Tir (umm... yeah, I had cubed my way away from a runeword I needed) dropped a Ko!

Here comes Lawbringer/Crescent Moon!

edit: or not. Still missing the Lem.