Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

HC debut..Proud, Alive, but Stuck!

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by lpblasch, Oct 11, 2006.

1. lpblasch

lpblasch IncGamers Member

HC debut..Proud, Alive, but Stuck!

"My personal best is about 5 hours to Guardian.

Nightfish has done it in 3 hours, 20 minutes."

The above quotes are from Dark Chaos, and I first have to say it boggles my mind. I am trying HC for the first time, with a level 30 Fishymancer, playing untwinked... by which I mean he uses only what he can find or gamble for. I know it's HC 101 for you experienced players, but I'm really excited to be still alive.

I must have 10-12 hours invested already, and I'm in Act 4, Normal!!!!!!!

Anyway, my char can't make any progress against Diablo. One blast of fire and all my skellies and Clay Golem die, and my Act 2 Defensive Merc is badly wounded. The fire blasts also dangerously drain my life bottle, so I have to flee.

He has:
    Str 75
    Dex 25
    Vit 90
    Eng 35

20 Raise Skellies
    8 Skeleton Mastery
    2 Amp Damage
    1 some prerequesites

Is there some strategy I can use to get past this guy?

2. Hp_Sauce

Hp_Sauce IncGamers Member

Norm Diablo is always a problem for summoners.

You need at least 1 point in Summon Resist for starters.
    Some also have good luck Iron Maidening Diablo and just letting him kill himself on your golum and merc.

throw on some Fire Resist gear so its safer for yourself while your down there, that way you can spend more time helping out your merc/recasting golum etc.

Remember Diablo doesn't Regenerate so you can go to town and heal or recast or buy your merc as many times as you like.

-hps

3. EJB

EJB IncGamers Member

You could also try decrep. Granted you get less damage but it slows Diablo to a crawl when used with clay golem...
    EJB

4. smilts

smilts IncGamers Member

yea agree with a combination of both strategys slowing him down is good, then IM or just let your guys slwly kill him go get more rinse and repeat until hes dead

5. Milb

Milb IncGamers Member

For a start try and find a couple of sources of MDR by x, Diablo's lightning hose deals damage per frame, so a few sources of MDR can greaterly reduce his damage. I normally just decrep and clay golem him, and just return to earlier acts to pick up minions to kill him. Do it at players 1 and it shouldn't be too bad.

About NF's and DC's times, don't worry about them, I guessed my first untwinked Guardian at about 60-70 hours - also Normal Diablo is probably you hardest fight with a summon necro, so just be careful and once you are past him things will start to get easier.

Good luck :smiley:
    Milb

6. SiTro

SiTro IncGamers Member

I'd agree with the advice for decrepify. The fishymancer I King'ed the other month or so made sure to get a point in that before normal Duriel, and from then on it was the curse of choice around act bosses. Combined with a clay golem (mine was only one point I believe, raised by a few +skills), they slow to an absolute crawl.

I've said this before as well, but try and see if Diablo has a bias towards attacking any specific element of your army. If, like in my case, he focusses on the golem above all else, then simply recast it on the other side of him just before it crumbles.

Looking at your skills already invested though, if decrep isn't available to you for more than 2 or so levels yet (due to pre-requisites needed), I'd instead slap on Amplify Damage and be prepared for my minions life dropping quicker.

edit: You're also a summoner. If your life bulb is dropping then you can change that without really slowing down your killing speed. Run around Diablo so that he's facing away from you when he attacks so that if he uses his lightning hose, you aren't caught in the blast.

7. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

As you know, I detest good conversation and only link to previous threads*, but you really should have a read of this because it is fascinating.

My hardcore career is pretty dire and I salute you in getting to Act IV. But you must remember, NF I think is .... erm ... amazing. He is also twinked to the gills on the speedy guardians. If you read some of his threads: Guardians, Guides and the link I provided, you will pick up some ideas that you may not have thought of.

To answer your question, summon resist and decrep are esstial for Diablo. Personally, I think he is more of a pain than Baal and probably the most difficult incarnation is Normal.

Expect to lose skellies. Get a safety TP up somewhere where he can't get to you. He tends to bone prison TP's (although that might be later difficulties only, I can't remember at the moment) so make sure they are somewhere well away from him. Approach him as you would Duriel. In, hit, town, resurrect, hit, rinse and repeat.

Most importantly, don't lose patience. Or it will be Deeds for you ....

----

*For those of you without a sense of humour, that was sarcasm. :grin: I believe in the search function for answers to simple questions (EG "How to I find a Pally Guide") and a useful way of acquiring background information, not as a replacement for intelligent conversation. :rolleyes: And may I repeat the word intelligent.

8. lpblasch

Thanks for the help and links. I just picked up Summon Resist, and I'll go tool around so I can get Decrep. Then we'll have another go at Diablo.:scratch:

9. SeeiN2StarS

SeeiN2StarS IncGamers Member

dido:rolleyes:

10. Thyiad

I believe you mean 'ditto'. Dido is rather dodgy singer....

11. SeeiN2StarS

SeeiN2StarS IncGamers Member

no way man. dido :):)

12. FrostBurn

FrostBurn IncGamers Member

I'd rather have Dido inflicted on me instead of some of the other things recently inflicted on me. :rolleyes:

13. Spearthrower

Spearthrower IncGamers Member

I think the fact that you are playing it untwinked makes for a completely different game, so dont even think for a moment about comparing times! :)

Personally I'd suggest killing him through a War of Attrition. Let loose your skellies..... chuck curses on him - maybe equip a bow or xbow with elemental damage and fire a few volleys in (you never know, you might even hit him!). Have a gate ready open - when your last skelly or golem bites it, get back to town, use the portal to go somewhere in Act 1, reraise your army and come back. Eventually you will win. It's not exactly the bravest strategy, but you didn't choose a Zookeeper for bravery points, did you? :)

14. Thyiad

@Frostburn - It isn't my fault I can't cook. I did warn you.

Desparately looking for a way to bring this back OT ....

So, Iplasch don't underestimate cheap runewords/items. Undead crown or even Lore. Sigons shield has +1 skills plus the (angelic?) ring and ammy give s+1 skill and a life boost. Just a thought. How's it going. (There, that was OT.)

15. cade88

cade88 IncGamers Member

well with my hc zookeeper I Just reraised my merc ALOT and had him decrep the whole time with a clay golem to get hit once and die so my merc had enough time to get in 3 hits before he was destroyed I stopped bothering to ressurect my army

16. cade88

cade88 IncGamers Member

well with my hc zookeeper I Just reraised my merc ALOT and had him decrep the whole time with a clay golem to get hit once and die so my merc had enough time to get in 3 hits before he was destroyed I stopped bothering to ressurect my army

17. lpblasch

Wow, I hope it's the forum server and not my computer, because I've been trying to report back for over an hour and couldn't log in....

Well, the deed is DONE! Decrepify and Summon Resist, plus about 7 runs, finally got the big guy. I would use LORE and Sigons but haven't found the runes or set pieces yet.

I'm off to Act 5. Thanks for the helpful hints, and, based on the links you sent me, I now genuflect in the direction of the Dark Chaos/Nightfish/Thyiad Triumvirate!! Youse Guys Is Gooooood!

18. Thyiad

GG Ipblach - :thumbsup:

Thank you :embarassed:, but I am SERIOUSLY not worthy to be mentioned with those two ...

19. Llathias

Llathias Banned

If it'll make you feel better, I recently started a new SC character, and am keeping a log. Untwinked and at p8, it took 5h to complete A1 Normal only! And that's not even a full clear, I just killed what I saw and opened the map enough to progress to the next area (lvl 20 as I stepped Lut Gholein).

Without frequent town visits to sell stuff and with a more generous use of skills to kill, it could go down a little, but only a little.

20. chillnkill

chillnkill IncGamers Member

None of you have anything to worry about as far as being the slowest player. Nope, I have that title in the bag. Started my Meteorb the beggining of August and just last night reached ACT 3 NM, lvl 56. I play pretty much everyday but my time only allows me to go to the next way point, usually about 15-20 mintues, then life calls. My goal is to finish by years end but thats not going to be easy.