Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

HC + connection issues, need some advice. Also: Hi!

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 Hardcore Forum' started by TheMuttonExplosion, Mar 14, 2015.

1. TheMuttonExplosion

TheMuttonExplosion Diabloii.Net Member

Hi there everyone,

I'm a fairly veteran D2 HC player and have very recently gotten into D3. Thing is, I only ever played D2 offline and am still getting used to HC + connection issues. So far it has been alright: First 80h or so I had no problems at all, but a couple of days ago I had the first death to lag. The ground textures disappeared and by the time I realized I should probably not play on I was dead. Today I was a bit better prepared and when I saw that my skills didn't animate and my life got low without enemies around I simply cut the power and luckily I survived that one.

So, my question is: How do you guys deal with that sort of thing? Are there any best practices? Is it possible to
    have the latency indicator a bit more prominent on screen? Are there early indicators to look out for or does that sort of lag occur out of nowhere?

2. liquid_mage

liquid_mage Diabloii.Net Member

I'd really recommend opening a ticket on the d3 tech forums. I'm not sure ground textures disappearing is normal lag. I have lost characters to blizzards rubber-banding problem in the past. All you can do is start over.

Recently i've had about 1 blue screen every week, it only happens in D3. I tried rolling my video drivers back, as I have an AMD video card and my brother has one in his laptop and he had issues so that's what they had him try. I haven't played long enough to know if it worked.

3. TheMuttonExplosion

Well, ground textures "disappearing" might've been the wrong word. I walked in a straight line in the Stinging Sands area and the textures were missing at the edge of the screen. Since you can walk around pretty far I suppose textures are loaded on the fly depending where you go and the lag probably prevented them from loading.

My question isn't really about that particular instance anyway. Just generally, if you notice things going wrong, the rubber-banding you mentioned for example. What do you do? Try to wait it out? Cut the power?

4. Aahzmadius

Aahzmadius Diabloii.Net Member

If you are playing solo, the best thing to do would be to hit the ESC key one time (to pause).

Other than that, just glance at your latency meter either occasionally or when you notice controls responding slowly.

5. Jcakes

Jcakes Diabloii.Net Member

I had a similar issue (also AMD card). I've fixed it by turning down all the graphics.

6. TheDarkSide

TheDarkSide Clan Officer - US East Hardcore

You can also display the FPS (bottom right corner)if you hit CTRL + R .. might give a better idea of frames per second you are getting.. I too dumbed down my graphics setting to low even though I have a higher end GPU and seem to have better results. Its gotta be the D3 coding because I run High graphics on all my other games with little issues...

U can also utilize the Life on Death Skills Blizzard has blessed us with as if they knew you will need them .... LOL

7. TheMuttonExplosion

Pausing doesn't seem to work unfortunately, even in solo. The second time I had problems and I noticed that my skills did not animate I hit ESC and could see the game still playing on in the background.

Turning down graphics didn't even occur to me since my PC should be able to handle the game without problems, but I'll certainly try it out.

btw.: What exactly happens when I Alt-F4 out of the game? Is my character gone immediately or does it linger on for a while and could potentially die even though I'm not in the game anymore?

8. Jcakes

Jcakes Diabloii.Net Member

It lingers when you alt f4 (30 seconds).