Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

HC Barb Question

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by TopheavyHookjaw, Mar 24, 2004.

1. TopheavyHookjaw

TopheavyHookjaw IncGamers Member

HC Barb Question

OK. First off, I'm far from being a n00b asking for advice on how to build a cookie cutter Barb. I used to play Barbs almost exclusively in the previous patches. I just deciced to play other builds that I never touched prior to 1.10 to take advantage of synergies.

Here's my question. What builds can not only survive but kill at a decent rate in Hell games.* The build must be able to handle any encounter and solo all areas of Hell. I've looked at builds on the other sites but since these are mostly SC and have no concern for death, they are not really worth paying attention to.

I'm not rich, but well off. I could trade for most things with the exception of those UBER Eth rune word weapons.

Thanks for the input in advance.

2. CoonerTheRed

CoonerTheRed IncGamers Member

I'm certainly not a barb expert, but I've built a couple in 1.10, and quite a few more in 1.09, and here's how it seems to me-

any barb you've ever made that was effective at killing will still be effective at killing given the right equipment and a little more patience.

Take your 1.09 WW s/s cookie cutter, ditch the mf gear in favor of crushing blow and other damage mods like that, make sure you have good resists still, and you're good to go. Just be a little more patient, use howl and battle cry once in a while, and you'll be fine. Beserkers can be incredibly powerful, as can conc barbs, but they take a little more patience with one-hit at a time attacks. Personally I've been meaning to get to a 2-handed beserk/singer, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Again, any barb will do, but keep an eye out for cb, ds gear for added damage. (no more mastery bug)

edit: any barb can do fine, very few (of any class) can solo hell with no problems. Not to say that they can't, just that they will have problems. But if they didn't have any problems, where would the fun be? :D

3. TopheavyHookjaw

TopheavyHookjaw IncGamers Member

I first got through the entire game without any help with my tanker-zealot. I then blazed through it with my skele-mancer. I've tried other builds for soloing with mixed success. Just wondering if a barb can do it and if so, how.

P.S. I wasn't thinking about MF so I'm always using things that increase damage (CB, DS, OW, ED, Chance to curse) so I can kill faster.

4. baalos

baalos IncGamers Member

IMO, barbs are one of the slower characters to build correctly because they are item dependent. But properly decked out, they are quite sturdy and capable for solo hell play.

Crys are very important. Therefore you should shop for switch weapons that increase shout, battle cry and bo. *Think thats correct, its the one down the center of the crys tab. Also, those crys have synergies that effect zerk and concentrate, both of which, IMO are necessary for a strong build.

Zerk is a must have when it comes to monsters that toss out IM, and for those PI guys. Its only when you come across magic imune and physical imune that you must move on. Conc is good for when you get caught in a tight space and cant WW. It happens more often that you think.

I also firmly believe in shields. Shield save you barb from ranged attack, assist in blocking during mele, and often add valuable points in resist.

I have seen lance/pole barbs and they can be quite deadly. But I believe a better offense is a good defense, and thats what shields are all about.

My barb does just fine with 7% mana leech. I use about 20% life leech and damage absorb gear. My resists in hell at lvl 83 are maxed. But it has taken me a long time to gather the gear to make him the way he is.

5. Bearcub

Bearcub IncGamers Member

I had a blast with my concentration barb. He could solo all areas, actually grouping caused problems. " stupid flayer" would not of even hurt solo. he found much of my high end gear that has my other characters rolling.

Max concentration
    1 in beserk for immunes
    max bo.

The rest is up to youre preference. I found warcry and the stune one invaluable. Had about five in each. Had 7 in ironskin and natural resist. Then 14 in shout and the rest in axe. He died level ** may he rest in piece. Most people max shout and that is where all the rest of my points were heading.

6. rachil0

rachil0 IncGamers Member

I made a pure berzerker and thought the results were ok-ish. It's no sorc, but magic damage goes a long way when you are questing because there are so few immunities to it. In fact, I only picked him because I thought he would solo quest well. The skills I maxed were BO/zerk/shout/howl (in that chronological order). One point into my weapon mastery because the damage return is not as good as maxing synergy, and I had chosen gear that added 100% DS making the weapon mastery CS redundant. I did one point into warcry, for stunning minions for the party while baaling him up, and 1 point into WW for quick escapes.

I was sort of a wuss and did 1H/shield, but I can see big dmg numbers if you used a 2H weapon and were diligent about using your stuncry. I'm still hunting for the just right 2H'er ... I'd like executioners justice since I did axes.

I did a defiance merc, he ended up with a pretty high 25K defense with his aura and my shout. His crescent moon pole was pretty much my only area of effect damage. The guy plays slow, but he was pretty fun. If I had it to do over again, I think I'd do a might merc. He'd still have like 20K defense, and we'd both do a lot more damage. I may actually rebuild a new merc, I dunno.

Good luck!

7. CoonerTheRed

CoonerTheRed IncGamers Member

i really think that any barb can make it through hell, and kill at a decent speed with the right equip. (well, maybe wand-barbs aren't so feasible anymore, but you never know... :D ) Heck, I bet you could make a decent staff ww barb with an upgraded ribcracker, given enough cb/ds etc. The only real difference between barbs in 1.09 and barbs in 1.10 is that you have to be more patient, use your war cries, and worry more about cb/ds and resists than before... I guess my point is that, to answer your question of "how," I would say- however you want.

my hope is a nice rare giant thresher drops sometime soon... then i'm going with a beserker with max bo, shout, beserk, howl, 1 to mastery, about 5-10 to war cry (i like a bit longer stun length). oooh i can see it now.... mmmm fresh monster on a plate...... :D

8. Liessa Wyrmbane

Liessa Wyrmbane IncGamers Member

WW IK barb is pretty well-rounded build. I'm was very pleasantly surprised how well he's doing in Hell. Eventhough the displayed damage on the IK Maul is quite low, but the huge elemental damage, crushing blow and the extra damage vs undead/demons really rocks.