Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

HC adventure- my Fishy died

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by lpblasch, Oct 18, 2006.

1. lpblasch

lpblasch IncGamers Member

HC adventure- my Fishy died

Well, my first attempt at HC has ended, when level 62 Fishymancer died in the Crystalline Passage in Nightmare. Man, HC is pins-and-needles stuff.
    I was playing untwinked for the good reason that I had no HC stuff to twink with. I found the experience nerve wracking, and although my best item found was a Tals belt, I find that I'm really down about losing 25 hours of work.

Still, I'm not ready to abandon the challenge yet, so the question is:
    Is there anything SAFER than a Nightfish Necro? I love melee, but thought that it was sure death for my first HC char. Maybe there is something I haven't thought of for another try at HC? Still don't have much to twink with, so the char has to be survivable with humble gear.
    Thanks for any guidance you can provide.

2. Milb

Milb IncGamers Member

I don't think there is anything much safer than a Fishymancer unfortunately. My first Guardian was a Frenzy Barb, doesn't sound very safe but I had 3k life, max res and excellent crowd control. It took quite a lot of runs to get decent weapons and items but I was very rarely threatened and it was the least worrying fight through Hell that I've had out of all my characters.

Out of interest, how did your necro die?

3. DarkChaos

DarkChaos IncGamers Member

Summoning necros are overpowered in HC. I've got to Hell Act2 with a naked one, simply because things don't hit you if your skeletons absorb everything.

A summoning-based druid is also very safe, because with Sage he (and his merc and wolves/bear) has a lot more life.

4. zenithsmith

zenithsmith IncGamers Member

trapsins with a good shawdow are safe as well, don't have to work about resists with fade on and its pretty easy to buy good trap claws

5. Noodle

Noodle Moderator

I would second zenithsmith. If you use Cloak of Shadows and Mindblast you should hardly be touched.

- Noodle

6. Wolfgang Abenteuer

Wolfgang Abenteuer IncGamers Member

RIP on the HC char, though. I believe the feeling of losing a character you've put 25h+ in, which is why I can never bring myself to play HC.

Good luck on your next one, though!

~Wolfgang

7. bill_n_opus

bill_n_opus IncGamers Member

What Wolfgang said.

Sorry to hear about your Fishy.

You should be able to buy a +2 skills head by the time you're level 62 or so.

I would imagine that playing HC I would be spamming attract and DV most of the time to take the pressure off your char. And players1 would help too.

8. lpblasch

lpblasch IncGamers Member

Playing P8, I came around a corner and there were - no joke- about 15 Archers. Before I could react I was hit by many arrows, which emptied my life bottle swiftly. I built exactly like Nightfish said- some STR, not much DEX yet, about 190 VIT.
    I knew the honorable HC thing is NOT to hit "ESC", and I couldn't hit a town portal quickly enough. In truth, I was totally surprised by the large number of archers, and my full 9 skellie army + clay golem + Merc couldn't help. What a sad way to end his career- I was looking forward to the ancients battle.

9. Milb

Milb IncGamers Member

Damn, that happens sometimes, I find you have to lead your skellies into battle which can leave you vulnerable for a second.

Dim Vision is your best friend in that sort of situation, instead of running around corners it is wise to cast DV ahead first and see if you can blind the enemies before you even see them, this is of course better with a high level, high radius DV but it still works.

I like going for max block as well, you may not get hit by many physical attacks but the ones that get through hurt, a shield like Rhyme in a good base is a nice one to aim for, and of course Homunculus if you are lucky.

10. Ugla

Ugla IncGamers Member

Generally, the ranged chars are safer, because you don't get exposed to monsters with their various "support" bugs. The deaths usually come from the lack of concentration/patience though (underestimating enemies, messed hotkeys, misplaced hand on keyboard, doing other stuff while playing etc.). Hardcore is always a compromise between the playstyle and safety.

I found the amazon the safest one for several reasons (in no particular order):
    - she has the strongest tank available. Only those frenzytaurs with some nasty auras are capable of destroying the valkyrie quicker than the casting delay.
    - decoy is an excellent scouting skill, so no surprises most of the time.
    - her evasion skills combined with decent block (e.g on switch) allow her to run even while being beaten.
    - she has enough life to endure most of the instant-kill attempts.
    - she is easy to play with only 2-3 active non-attack skills and only a few attack types.

This holds for almost any amazon build. I'm currently playing my first necro (SC) which just finished normal, so I can not compare much so far (have some weird build anyway). But relying on the minions can be tricky sometimes, e.g. in your case - they never go first willingly.

I think you can try any class and build which isn't too gear-dependent, if it makes you fun. Once you are bored, you usually RIP your char very soon.

Ugla

11. DarkChaos

DarkChaos IncGamers Member

Honour is overrated. I save+exit loads of times to save my ***, so sue me. I never would have hit 99 without being able to do it, because it involves much more approximate playing rather than precise, in order to save time, and therefore there is a factor of recklessness.

But yeah, as a necromancer, Confuse/Attract and Dim Vision are great tools in your arsenal, as previously mentioned.

12. zenithsmith

zenithsmith IncGamers Member

i generally use my clay golem as a scout around corners in tough areas

13. Drystan

Drystan IncGamers Member

Bad luck there. :sad: Don't worry about honour.
    He who learns to run away, lives to fight another day.
    Try not to rely on S&E'ing, but know it's there if you're quick enough and need it. I feel there's nothing wrong with it for freak events, but you eventually learn to avoid most nasty situations. It's there as a backup for me. :)
    If I die now, it's usually almost instantly, and not enough time to react.

14. Suiling

Suiling Banned

Sorry to hear that..
    Try to train your HC skill in SC by letting your resist stay in -ve, not relying the Save and Exit button..

15. jiansonz

jiansonz IncGamers Member

Another thing to learn is to quickly slam your hand on the potion buttons when life drops really fast (always keep full rejuves in the same column(s) for every character, so you instictively know where it is).

I will have to say that the safest character I have ever played is the weapon + shield Concentrate barb. Fantastic crowd control (Howl-Taunt), tons of life, good defense and blocking, plus a couple of levels of Battle Cry to remove the fangs of most baddies and to hit them easier. He´s like a giant slug: slow, but devours everything in his path.

16. Randall

Randall IncGamers Member

If I would do that in HC, HC would be no different as SC anymore.

In this way (with S&E) HC doesn't add anything extra anymore (for me), that thrill of death waiting if I do something stupid.

But each his own, as long as it gives you fun.

17. Fluffballer

Fluffballer IncGamers Member

1H/shield conc barb was a good suggestion. Warcry barbs might be the safest possible build. Enormous life, and you're basically immune to every attack other than bosses. Very slow though.

18. Drystan

Drystan IncGamers Member

Randall - you have to keep in mind, the main monsters that cause a death in HC are those which kill almost instantly.
    FE bug could kill instantly; MSLE could kill very quickly; IM kills almost instantly; extra fast, extra strong, fanatic frenzy/zeal monsters; and MSLE conviction monsters too.

Example with IM: Thought I'd use smite instead of zeal so that I'd have time to react and pull back from the attack. Didn't work that well. No time at all.

The weaker monsters don't do much. They drop your health, but you have time to run away, potion, cast.

S&E is usually only usable when you get lucky and catch it before they get a good hit on you. Half the time, if you're going to die, you're going to die. It's just that fast. S&E improves the chance of surviving if you're quick enough, and even then you have to go through the map again, and maybe find a more dangerous boss pack.
    There is an occasion where I've had a full belt of full juvies, gotten into an aweful situation, and just gone: 1-2-3-4-1-2-3-4-1-2-3-4-1-3-2-4-ESC!
    It's part of the game, and an option to let you fight another day. I admit it's a bit cheap, but there's nothing wrong with it, and you really don't want to start again from a terrible Lister spawn.
    Also, remember Nihthaltek's area. He has (apparently) 'non-bugged' snakes with invisible poison damage which can kill extremely quickly. It really sucks to die to something you can't even see.

19. DeathMaster

DeathMaster IncGamers Member

I do E&S in HC, but in only very limited degree. I only use it when there are bugged event (eg. stuck in place and some unexplained "FE" damage kept hitting me), and no other way to escape. If I run into deadly situation because of my own stupid mistake (eg. rackless play), I would accept the death of HC.

20. DeathMaster

DeathMaster IncGamers Member

Isn't it a known bug? Their poison damage is bugged. IIRC, it should be xxx damage per second, however some programer made it xxx damage per frame. :shocked: :shocked: