Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

having trouble getting past clvl 86

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by HaLoPhReAk, Jun 19, 2005.

1. HaLoPhReAk

HaLoPhReAk IncGamers Member

having trouble getting past clvl 86

as the title says, I just can't seem to get past lvl 86, i spent like 4 strait hours, and i just lvl like 1/2 a lvl, then i die once or twice :mad: :mad: lol, is there a trick to lvling past that that i dont know (besides hell baaling, and killing baal...duh) but ya...how do ppl get like 95 and shtuff?

2. HardyTarget

HardyTarget IncGamers Member

They just keep running baal until they get (bored) up to high levels.
    If you die a lot, you lose exp (apparently) and thus you have to spend some time to gain your loss back.

Try not to die and you should get past 86 pretty easily.
    I noticed myself it gets hard around ~ **-90.

My record is currently 91 and I lv up slowly when I do some random MF runs sometimes.

3. LorveN

LorveN D3 Off Topic Moderator

I made two chars lvl99 back in 1.09 when exping was a lot faster. It took time. A lot of time.
    Now, it should take even more time, by far...
    Its just a matter of patience (and stupidity :lol: ) to keep on doing the same things on and on, always.

And when you die, I hope you just dont save and exit instantly? Remember, that if you pick up your body again in the same game, you will get back a whole lot of the experience lost when dying. Its definitly worth it, saves you many hours when up at high levels.
    Keep in mind though, to be careful so you dont die again :bonk:
    In baalruns for instance, its almost always safe to get the body back, unless you are the one teleporting down, since most people leave then.
    As long as you die at the throne, you most certainly can save a couple of hours picking that body up.
    :thumbsup:

4. Leohappy

Leohappy IncGamers Member

Well the game enforces exp. penalties after certain level is reached. At level 86 you're already getting reduced experience. For good exp, Baal runs are always best though, highes level monsters there - too bad they're so boring. At your level, you might want to try some level 85 areas for good exp also. See the list here.

5. Herald of Doom

Herald of Doom IncGamers Member

Don't die. Keep running. Once you get to like lvl 96+, dying once means losing 24 hours of baalrunning :p

HoD

6. MapleBarb

MapleBarb IncGamers Member

if you have an anni its easier since you gain more exp per baal run. also you didnt mention what char but some are easier to lvl then others.

re getting to lvl 95? not as difficult as it sounds. its 96 and up that takes a while since at 96 I believe i was getting about 200 or so k per baal run, and at 97 was even worse. My paladin is now 98 and I taken a break since even if you kill baal all i get is around 35k per run :(

7. Noodle

Noodle Moderator

Running Pindy at /P 8 can get you some discernable exp. through the low 90's.

- Noodle

8. Pherdnut

Pherdnut IncGamers Member

If you have a build that can solo Hell cows quickly, that seems to be netting me as much XP as doing Baal runs at level 90. For Baal Runs, just gear for maximum defense. Try to get absorb items to make you immune to lightning, fire, and cold, and let the Barbs go in through the portal first. :D

9. Tarantella

Tarantella IncGamers Member

For level 86 your best xp gain playing solo will still be in act 4.

10. Joch

Joch IncGamers Member

just go in public baal runs and don't die
    lvl **-90 is a uge step
    lvl 90-91 actually went faster than 89-90
    once you hit lvl 91 you just don't need to care about exp anymore and just stay alive all the time and one day,when you're at 4/5th exp you'll be doing baalruns to achieve that lvl 92 :)
    now my sorc is lvl 92 and only used for mfing so its slow lvling unless i do private baalruns

11. Leohappy

Leohappy IncGamers Member

In my experience, leveling slows down considerably from level 94 on, and at 95-96 the exp gain is almost pathetic already.

I usually consider my characters finished at level 94, because leveling simply gets a lot slower, and I don't want to waste my time in baal runs for just one level (and I rarely pick up anything, with all pickiters around) - there's just no incentive.

12. Joch

Joch IncGamers Member

yeah people with pickit are annoying... i singlehanded killed a council a bit out of the group using a low lvl (78) wolf a sc dropped and 2 persons immidiatly teleported nxt to me & the charm was gone before I could even click to pick it up...

13. Myrakh-2

Myrakh-2 IncGamers Member

Personally, I plan chars for lvl 85, and aim to finish them with lvl 90.

My main char is lvl 91, and the exp bar is still growing, although very slow. He never died, of course, and he currently has a couple of skillpoints unspent since I haven't decided yet where to put them.

My second char, a Bowazon, which I started a while ago, is somewhere in the 80s now and has some 30+ skillpoints unused for the same reason... but these won't be too difficult to distribute, I just need to do it :) However, even with the skills built up she'll still have the same problems in certain areas that she has now, so it's not going to be a major improvement.

So, what I'm trying to say is: don't plan for the 110 skillpoints you find mentioned in outdated guides. Plan for 100 skillpoints; if you get beyond lvl 90 it's good and you can put your points whereever you think they could be useful (which is the problem I have on my main char, a Skelemancer :))

To get to 80-90, you can either do brainsquishing baalruns, or you could just play around: the bowazon, for example, does a lot of Act 1 and Act 2 things, or Act 4 River of Flame (but not A3 or chaos sanctuary). I haven't rushed her past Diablo yet, but she'll be able to do some areas in A5, and avoid others. Doesn't really matter, since A4/A5 is 80+ anyway. Her severe lack of mf is a major issue, though --- there's always the question whether I should really play her instead of the necro, but atm I still like playing her... so she might get a few more levels.

I have no need for "speed leveling", so I never do hell baalruns.

Essentially, just play the game as usual, or powerlevel with baalruns. I found the baalbots to be extremely useful in nightmare; don't know whether they also have hell-capable versions running...

14. Noodle

Noodle Moderator

One big reason, among many, why I don't play B.Net anymore.

- Noodle