Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Haven't played in about 3 years but...

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Digital Entropy, May 10, 2008.

1. Digital Entropy

Digital Entropy IncGamers Member

Haven't played in about 3 years but...

Part of the reason I originally quit was that it seemed like the game got to a point where if you did not have runed items, your gear was worthless. I put in a lot of effort to get runes or items worth trading for them but it didn't work out very well so I gave up.

Do all other items still fall short in comparison to rune-words? Have they introduced any new drops worth going after?

2. Lustre

Lustre IncGamers Member

Re: Haven't played in about 3 years but...

To put it simply...

Yes, and not really, except for a select few.

3. SmittySixTen

SmittySixTen IncGamers Member

I have to admit, when 1.10 first came out I quit for quite a while. However, when I came back and got used to it, I found there are many more viable builds now than there was in 1.09. The runewords may be over-powered, but they do offer many different options.

4. TurbulentTurtle

TurbulentTurtle IncGamers Member

It does seem like the new runewords are Blizzards way of making sure that no one will create anymore bugged items, seeing as how the legit items are already so good. Like mentioned though, the new runewords makes way for tons of new available and unique characters that are viable in all areas of the game.
    It can be frustrating to obtain said items, but when you do, it's actually really fun. That is, if you decide not to play the cookie cutter builds and go with something relatively new.

5. moranor

moranor IncGamers Member

I just started playing again too and I felt the same way
    I didn't want to use the crazy runewords because I felt it was cheating. I only used self found stuff to be legit, but when my amazon with 400+ dex and an Eaglehorn could barely kill in hell I realized that the game has been balanced for all the new stuff, so it's just take it or leave it.

6. BobCox2

BobCox2 IncGamers Member

To survive on a budget in hell you need to play and trade in ladder for the cheap runewords a few seasons if playing realms IMHO.

7. Atomium

Atomium IncGamers Member

Worthless from a trading point of view, maybe. But the game is perfectly playable with rare/set/uniques, so they're not worthless at all.
    At first, I had the same opinion as you, then I discovered that the price of the godly unique items had dropped, and that I could finally afford them. Now I play with very few high runewords (I currently use a Fortitude armor on one of my main chars, the others are runewords free), I have a lot of fun, and I don't have the feeling of cheating by using duped runes...

Welcome back :)

8. Atomium

Atomium IncGamers Member

Yes and no. Like I said in the previous post, you can easily beat the game without runewords in Hell, but you cannot expect to make a cookie-cutter. You have to adapt your strategy, use synergies, and carefully balance your gear between killing speed and survivability. Some builds are not powerful enough anymore to solo Hell, and the Ama is one of them.

9. HSDuke

HSDuke IncGamers Member

I took a long break for about acouple years, Not due to trading, Because I mfed my stuff, its all I did was mf, I mfed so much I was hearing baals laughter in my sleep. So I took a break and started playing guildwars. But I decided to come back and see whats going on.

The problem is I have too many characters loaded with loot, I think I have 13-15 keysets alone. 20+ skillers, 4-5 enigmas, hoto's, hoz. It just gets too much!

I'v been looking for a 50%mf ammy and 2x 40% mf rings, I got a 38%mf ammy and a 38% mf ring so far, 4 isted shield, 6 isted weapon, upgraded chancies and goldwrap. 40+ 7%mf charms. I was mfing so much I was losing my mind. lol. Now I come back and I'v got 3 mf hammerdins and a low quality smiter. My exile was a not as good as I had hoped. I had traded away most of my items when I thought I was going to quit, But like all addictions, I came back to LOD with a cold sweat. (I miss my griefs! and over 30 spirits!)

But after playing guildwars for 26 months I miss diablo's variety. I can't wait to start mfing again, But everything reset so I am 100% non lad now, which gives me pause, I'm not real happy about making a new lad character this late in the season. Maybe I will buy a cheapo mf sorc this time instead of a pain in the *** mf hammerdin which takes forever and a ton of work to gear up.

Anyone have any guestimates on when they will reset again? I want to make a lad character when I have atleast 6 months to get gear and mf hell for lad only items.

I think a break is a good thing, Keeps ya sane. But here I am again, Back at it! Good luck to you, Good luck to me!

10. Crowd Control

Crowd Control Banned

There's already been some discussion on when the Ladder will reset. Some people expect it pretty soon, others (like me) don't see it happen anywhere in the near future. If I were you I'd stay until some Bnet activity changes altogether. So either a patch, reset or game release should give you enough reason to switch. I'd stay NL if I were you.

11. HSDuke

HSDuke IncGamers Member

thanks, I think since my non ladder stuff is nice and fat I'm gonna build up a ladder character for some basic lad only items and rune muting. If ladder doesnt reset by the time I get the higher gear then I will mf baal for the superior loot.

I only need to get the stuff I dont have, and thats not much, lol. My main objective is my grief. beyond that the rest is cake.