Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Has Blizzard specified how they do co-op MF drops?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by machinus, Sep 11, 2010.

1. machinus

machinus IncGamers Member

Has Blizzard specified how they do co-op MF drops?

I know they have said that item drops, as well as MF%, are player-specific.

However, this still leaves ambiguous the way that item drops work for killing monsters.

For example, if two players are in a party, and one player does 100% of the damage in killing a monster, do both players MF trigger on that monster? This could lead to all players in a party sacrificing health/damage to stack as much MF as possible, and the last member doing all the work (or one high MF weakling just following a strong party and getting lots of free items).

The other scenario is actually even worse, where only the killing player's MF triggers on that monster, meaning that you would only get item drops from monsters that you deliver the kill to even though you may be contributing significantly to the amount of damage deal to all monsters (like with Static Field, Meteor, or poison effects).

How does it work?

2. Sicom

Sicom IncGamers Member

Re: Has Blizzard specified how they do co-op MF drops?

This is a good question and certainly something worth pondering. However, I agree that the alternative is much worse. So long as I'm contributing, I should get a share of the loot, otherwise it cripples coop play. By that same token, this could encourage players to work together. One person stacks all the MF, the other does the majority of killing. At the end of the day, they split the loot. Of course, among players you don't know, it isn't realistic to expect others to share.

That said, I'm hoping magic find isn't something you can stack ridiculous amounts of. Let's imagine a piece of gear has a total of 5 listed "stats" (+damage%, strength, etc); on one piece, all 5 are offensively catered; on another piece, 4 of 5 are offensively catered, while only the fifth is magic find. Or to put it another way, only 20% of an item's budget goes to MF%. In my mind, that is ideal.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2010
  3. sirroman

sirroman IncGamers Member

well. I believe it's gonna be the first option.

And they can balance it by making a real increase in difficulty based on the size of the party.

And since the parties will have smaller sizes, maybe it wouldn't be that much broken anyways.

And yeah, what sicom said may be true, it would kinda of make clans and friend-parties stronger.

4. machinus

Do you have any links to support that?

5. sirroman

that the parties will have smaller size, it's kinda old news.

The rest is IMO. Like I stated.

EDIT: "The D3 Team has not yet committed to a maximum game size for Diablo III. The issue is still open to debate, but the developers have said 4 or 5 characters will likely be the maximum. This is a drop from the 8 allowed in Diablo II games, and it's entirely due to gameplay, rather than technical issues."

More on Multiplayer - Maximum Party Size at Diablowiki

6. machinus

I meant the dropping system. If they do let players get their own MF triggered drops from other party members' kills, this really changes magic find strategy. You could just have MF characters and join parties without any fear of losing items.

7. Nekora

Nekora IncGamers Member

Don't have any links, but I strongly remember someone saying that MF works per character. If 4 people all kill a boss together, each gets their own drop roll, and each player's MF applies to only their roll and nobody else's.

Personally, I still hold out hope that MF will be removed as a gear mod.

8. sirroman

I was just a hunch of mine. But like I said, I don't find this "MF only" character that problematic, because he should probably be a friend of yours, and then he would share his drops with you.

And there's that increase in difficulty that has been said.

9. Monster

Monster IncGamers Member

No, it's individually calculated.

If more than one person did dmg to the monster, there would be at least two checks. First would be a check to see who gets the loot drop, and if more than one drop is warranted. Then, whoever gets the drop is checked again for individual loot enhancing stats, producing the drop.

Example:

Player A has 23% MF. Player B has 62% MF. Player A and B both help in taking down the mob. Computer checks, and Player A gets the drop. Computer checks again and the drop has a 23% chance of dropping a magic item.

10. Arkadier

Arkadier IncGamers Member

I really hope Monster is right, although some potential to exploit this mechanic by joining random groups with gimped high-MF-characters is undeniable, it delivers the best solution for groups of players knowing each other. And I hope good co-op gameplay grants appropriate advantages over random groups just smashing buttons, encouraging teaming up with known people even further.

11. themeros

themeros IncGamers Member

Blizz, just remove MF once and for all and stop all this craziness ><'

12. Apocalypse

Apocalypse IncGamers Member

are you sure thats how it works? i was under the impression that everyone gets their own roll end of story. meaning 1 mob could drop an item for more than 1 player in the group

13. Valhauros

Valhauros IncGamers Member

And you're right, the roll is per player... If more than one person does damage to a monster, when it dies each character will only see its own items that dropped from the monster, which are calculated on an individual basis. What the first player receives from the enemy it's irrelevant to what the second player gets.

14. Monster

Monster IncGamers Member

I'm guessing standard enemies will only have a single drop(gold or an item). Even if 3 people did dmg to it, only one drop in total. It would be ridiculous if a single enemy(aside from uniques and bosses) dropped something for everyone playing.

That's just my opinion though.

15. sirroman

My doubt is if, to have a drop, a character need to cause damage to that specific creep.

Because it could be a little complicated for characters that have a harder time to cause area damage. And a wizard could simply fireball/snipe everything and stay in the back, full MF. It would make MF a little imbalanced in a character basis.

16. Monster

Monster IncGamers Member

Maybe the game will take into consideration players proximity to each other, as well as dmg output. Dmg output could be calculated on an individual basis as well.

Example:
    Class V at lvl W should be doing between X and Y dmg, while in area Z.

When loot is dropped the game does the appropriate proximity and dmg checks. Loot will always drop for you, but if you're really trying your hardest, you'll fall into the formula above and have more chance at drops. Whereas if someone is in the area, but not really doing much to help the group, you're likely to "inherit" some of their drops.

17. Apocalypse

i am pretty sure if you are grouped and close you will receive the chance at a drop

i dont think it is ridiculous for a single mob to drop something for more than one player its not like it will happen all the time. assume monster A has a 15% chance to drop an item all players get that same 15% chance and if it hits on 2 of the 4 players then good. increased xp and increased drops will only help promote co-op play which is what blizzard wants.

the real issue comes with bosses i think. if you are guarenteed a unique every run thats up to 4 hitting the market per run

18. machinus

So you just made this all up, or what? Blizzard has already said monsters will drop good items for multiple players in the game, so you are wrong on that count. What is not clear is whose MF will apply, and if the drops will be "enhanced MF" for both players or just one, with the other getting a normal one.

19. Apocalypse

machinus i would bet money that your mf will apply to your roll only just as their mf will apply to theirs only. most damage or kill shot wont be a factor

20. FriskyDingo

FriskyDingo IncGamers Member

I believe Bashiok just stated that MF works on an individual basis..
    Which I really do not like..

I forsee one character running around with as much MF as possible while the others kill..
    Maybe working as a team they split the awesome drops he finds on a class basis but still..

I would much rather MF work in a %Mf of the %health you damaged from a monster
    Ex)
    Player 1: 200MF player does 60% damage 120MF is counted
    Player 2: 600MF player does 10% damage 60MF is counted
    Player 3: 300MF player does 30% damage 100MF is counted

I believe this is most fair personally.
    He who does the work gets the rewards

In the end however, Id rather MF be left out of the game.. but we see it isnt at this point.