Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Has anything made you cry so hard lately?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by raffster, Mar 17, 2005.

1. raffster

raffster Diabloii.Net Member

Has anything made you cry so hard lately?

I usually avoid watching love movies because they're at the bottom of my preferred list. But last night I decided to rent The Notebook (since all the other movies have been rented out) and my wife and I watched it together.

Holy moly! I haven't cried so hard since my dog, Snoopy, died. That movie is just immensely emotional. Of course my wife cried harder than I did.

This is one movie to stay away from if you are on the rebound, breaking-up or alone. It's a very inspiring movie though for those who have found the love of their lives (a.k.a. soulmate?)

2. Freemason

Freemason Banned

I've heard that movie tugs at the heartstrings of men harder than any other. I'll have to watch it when it's out on HBO.

For those that dont' know, it's about a man that stays with his wife as she's dying of Alzheimers. Even as she's forgotten him, he stays by her side in the nursing home. The strongest, purest love a man can have for his wife... Or so it's been explained to me, I haven't seen it yet.

3. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

I never really get into a movie. Never cried, never jump when the boogey man popped out, never 'hated' a character because he was a jerk, etc.

Same with TV shows. I don't know why, I don't try to do it. I just don't get the 'attachment' most people seem to get. I dunno, just doesn't do anything to me.

/machoman

4. Geeno

Geeno Diabloii.Net Member

I was totally going to try to turn this around on you raff but no, notebook is insane. I resisted the gf attempts to get me to watch it until one day.

its not like i went home and downloaded it because i liked it so much...

5. Aeval

Aeval Diabloii.Net Member

I found the book way more emotional than the movie. but then, it seems Nicholas Sparks (author of the notebook, along with message in a bottle - also turned into a movie) knows just how to push all those emotional buttons. most of his stories are quite poignant.

I tend to bottle my stress up, so when i get to a breaking point I either end up crying hard or getting pissed and into fights with Drunk (or whoever else dares cross my path)... I went to San Diego for business a few weeks ago, and it was one of the most stressful trips of my life. I ended up having to pull my rental car into a parking lot and had a boohooing fest in the middle of rush hour. Not my proudest moment, but hey, I felt better afterwards.

6. Isolde212

Isolde212 Banned

I rented that movie and watched twice in a row and again the next day and cried my eyes out. Anakha refused to watch saying that I was demasculating his TV. Well he's a big poo. I loved the movie and look forward to reading the book.

7. Freemason

Freemason Banned

You could have held him down and had your way with him. Then you could have demasculated the bedroom as well. And he'd have loved every minute of it

8. cotton

cotton Diabloii.Net Member

Movies don't make me cry; sports make me cry. Especially when the line is 8 and some overpaid rapstar small forward steps to the line with 2.6 seconds left and bricks the front end of a 1 and 1 while leading by seven destroying the front end of a 3 team parlay.

9. MithrandirX

MithrandirX Diabloii.Net Member

I'm just not the crying type. I know that this is very politically-incorrect, and that crying for men is very "in" now, but I just don't cry. I didn't cry when I lost close family members to death. I don't cry in movies. I don't cry when I fall down and hurt myself. I certainly don't cry over women, either. I am pretty certain that I haven't cried in at least 10 years, probably more. The last time I remember crying was when my dog died; I was 12 at the time.

This is bizarre, but I figure I might as well spill all my psychological guts here: Also, I cannot remember a single time, in my entire life, when someone hurt my feelings. Never. Not even one. I've told this to friends, and they think it is bizarre and abnormal. Am I a sociopath?

M

10. Dutchman

Dutchman Diabloii.Net Member

two weeks ago a close friend of mine lost his wife to a long battle with breast cancer, or more specifically, the liver cancer to which it had spread.

During his eulogy he said that when she passed, he hugged her for more than hour, as her pain had denied them such contact for over a year. That was one of the saddest things I have ever heard, and I cried like a baby.

34 years old.

Dutch

11. Lostprophet

Lostprophet Diabloii.Net Member

The Dead Poets' Society is the movie that can most consistently get me (the scene in the snow, when Todd runs out to the field.... oh man). I also, um, may or may not have cried a little when Wilson the volleyball floated away in Castaway.

12. MixedVariety

MixedVariety Banned

I enjoy what little time I have with my wife. She's good enough to watch crap with me sometimes, like grade B sci-fi movies, Ahnuld-genre flicks, stupid useless comedy movies, etc., (though I've noticed she watches through her eyelids half the time) so I'll do up Lifetime-style movies with her.

I watched The Notebook, and enjoyed it immensely. Even brought a tear or two to my eyes and a lump in my throat at the end. I find that I usually enjoy the movies she likes, though they aren't my first choice. Yeah yeah, Steel Magnolias, etc. Good movie. I even enjoyed watching Titanic, it was a well-made flick.

Some guys that think movies like that are emasculating have a problem, I think. They are fearful that their female side may emerge and never return to its lair.

13. MithrandirX

Wierd... I was laughing hysterically at that part.

14. SilentMagik

SilentMagik Diabloii.Net Member

Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind .. When Carrey's character finds out she's erased him from her memory.. I felt a lump in my throat.

I also cried when they killed King Kong. But hey I was four..

15. MithrandirX

I think the closest I've ever come to crying in a movie was at the end of "Empire of the Sun," when the kid is trying to bring his japanese friend back to life, and realizes that he is really trying to bring his own destroyed childhood back.

I can bring everyone back!

16. Lostprophet

Lostprophet Diabloii.Net Member

Some people are less easily moved than others; not the end of the world. It's not really a conscious decisions whether you are moved to tears by something; you can't exactly call uncontrollable responses a fad, now can you? Cry or do not cry: there is no "Hey it's cool for men to cry now."

17. TheAmoeba

TheAmoeba Diabloii.Net Member

A little bit of a tangent, but I think it's true that once a guy opens the floodgate to his emotions, they'll never close. I remember my cousin's wedding about 7 years ago where her borther told this really sweet story that made everyone cry...I was a stone there. Now that my floodgate's been opened, the most pathetic thing can bring a tear to my eye. Example: Sideways near the end when Paul Giamatti's character eats at the fast food place. Oh man was that a great movie....

18. ~Kazama Fury~

~Kazama Fury~ Diabloii.Net Member

This is interesting, my ex-gf wanted to see that movie so badly for awhile now. Just recently I got it for her. Thats around the sametime we went on the 'break' and few weeks after that (now), it seems we wont be getting back together. So hmmm... should I still give her the movie? Not out of spite, just because she wanted the movie so badly, but since you guys say the movie is so sad and stuff......

The first movie that got me all weird inside was definately 'My Sassy Girl', if you havent seen it, you must. After that, Eternal Sunshine and recently, Garden State. Didnt make me cry but sure left a mark. Made me think a lot.

19. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

I watched a movie where Angelina Jolie took her shirt off.

It was just so beautiful... *sniff*

20. KiL

KiL Diabloii.Net Member

For some reason Gattaca made me cry last night, I think it had to do with the violins and brotherhood relationship.