Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Has anyone tried this strategy with Meph?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Meosha, Apr 3, 2004.

1. Meosha

Meosha IncGamers Member

Has anyone tried this strategy with Meph?

I'm not sure if this is common or not, but the items in question tend to get shunned in trades, so I'm guessing not.

When running Hell Meph, I have taken up equipping the Dwarf Star ring(+15% Fire Absorb), Hellmouth War Gauntlets(+15% Fire Absorb), and The Rising Sun Amulet(+59% Fire Absorb for my level 79 Meteorb Sorceress). This gives me 99% Fire Absorb. Hellmouth can probably be replaced with Chance Guards for an MF boost with minimal loss.

As a result, when reaching the Durance of Hate level 3, I can run around Mephisto, pelting him with Frozen Orbs or Fireballs, while simply wading nonchalantly through the hordes of Vampires around me, who are in fact healing me with their attacks. I found this quite amusing.

2. m1rage

m1rage IncGamers Member

Yeah but no one runs hell Meph for xp, and you are potentially losing 135+ MF just to equip those items. Kind of self defeating if you ask me.

3. Meosha

Meosha IncGamers Member

Yes, but I don't have any uber-MF stuff. When I find some with what MF I do have (why do you think I'm making these runs?), I'll stop equipping these items.

4. Atomium

Atomium IncGamers Member

You should at least receive an award for being original :)

It is good to see that some people are still looking for new solutions, and that not everybody is trying to stick to the guides and making the same chars as everyone else.

5. Patryn

Patryn IncGamers Member

I always equip a dwarf star ring when doing meph. Not because of the vamps, because of the council. At least 1 in 4 runs I have them in the center part of the board. Instead of trying to bait them out and wasting all that time, I just meteor them back and forth with meph. The ring pretty much eliminates any damage thier hydra attacks do. I pick up the extra gold, items, or whatever they drop along with meph's drops......when either of them drop anything at all worth while. :(

6. RTB

RTB IncGamers Member

Hellmouth and Rising Sun give straight absorb, against vampires and the Hydras you'll only need the Rising Sun to be completely immune.
    Switch the Dwarf Star for a Raven Frost and you'll be almost Cold ball-immune as well.

My meteorb sorc doesn't even try to dodge Meph's attacks, and vampires are Meteored to death in 4 seconds. They don't deal dmg with their Firewalls anyway :)
    She has max resists and Tgods, which makes her heal from lightning that gets thrown to her. Meph's cold ball doesn't do much dmg and only hits one in 4 attempts.

Her merc is dead, cuz she's more of a tank than he is!

7. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

Rising Sun doesn't give a percentual fire absorb, but absorbs an absolute amount of damage. Anyway, my meph running sorc also wears Rising Sun (but no further fire absorb stuff) because it speeds up Meph runs so much. In fact, the hydras from the councils and the meteors from the vampires actually heal you while the firewalls even out at neither inflicting damage nor healing you and only the fireballs cause a little damage. My sorc has resistances of around 0 btw.

That means, if you are working with the moat trick at the right part of the map, you can ignore the councils and you have to fight vampires perhaps 1 in 3 times, no merc needed (respectively a merc would only cause trouble) - very relaxing. In fact it was safe enough to level up my cold/fire sorc to L88 and as long as I'm paying attention (i.e. I don't watch TV or scratch my butt etc.) she never dies, except she has bad luck while teleporting through Durance 2.