Has anyone tried the Hall of Pain for...?

Drystan

Diabloii.Net Member
Has anyone tried the Hall of Pain for...?

Has anyone tried (or knows) the probability for good rune drops in the Halls of Pain and vaught (or the other one. Levels 1 and 2 of Nihl's temple.)

I'm asking, because in normal, I've found quite a few Dol's from that temple, and just run on pl8 the NM temple (not level 3.) I thought that if Dol's were droppable at a decent rate in Normal, then NM and Hell must have pretty good drops too.
I found very little, until the final sparkly chest, which dropped a Hel. (I know, 1 run isn't enough.)

In NM/H, there aren't the death maulers or others too often, so maybe the maulers have higher drop chances? There are, however, flayers, and many flayers leads to more drops.

So, does anyone have, or know where I might find the rune drops for these areas; have any experience in running them; or found anything good from there?

Cheers,
Drystan. :smiley:

EnerSense

Diabloii.Net Member
So, does anyone have, or know where I might find the rune drops for these areas; have any experience in running them; or found anything good from there?
I haven't found any runes in the Halls of Pain but I did find this:

Mang Song's Lesson
Archon Staff
Two-Hand Damage: 83 to 99
Durability: 26 of 26
Required Strength: 34
Required Level: 82
Staff Class - Slow Attack Speed
Item Version: 1.10+ Expansion
Item Level: 87
Fingerprint: 0x832b029a
Regenerate Mana 10%
30% Faster Cast Rate
150% Damage to Undead
+5 to All Skill Levels
-8% to Enemy Fire Resistance
-14% to Enemy Lightning Resistance
-8% to Enemy Cold Resistance

Are

Diabloii.Net Member
Speaking of Halls of Pain.. Is there any way to "undo" the fact that I've killed Nihlathak? Having to do Baal-runs instead of Pindle-runs is a tad annoying [although this way I do have a shot at getting Tyrael's...] :)

Hp_Sauce

Diabloii.Net Member
Speaking of Halls of Pain.. Is there any way to "undo" the fact that I've killed Nihlathak? Having to do Baal-runs instead of Pindle-runs is a tad annoying [although this way I do have a shot at getting Tyrael's...] :)
You can't undo it. Once you've found the WP and killed Nihlathak you're pooched.

As far as on topic goes I have no idea of the actual numbers or statistics of the place. But I spent a few weeks running through it (and killing stuff that was in my way) while I was harvesting D-keys on b.net and I found exactly nothing of any use at all. Nihlathak himself gave me a Grand Charm for re-rolling and a Raven Frost. I figure I ran him (and some of the Halls of Pain each time) 350-400 times.

Thats just my experience/impression though.

-hps

EnerSense

Diabloii.Net Member
Next time don't activate the WP in his temple. That way the portal stays open and you can kill Nihlathak as many times as you want. :smiley:

Jude

Diabloii.Net Member
I don't know about runes, but I think it drops some good gems, at least from what I've noticed.

Jude

sirpoopsalot

Diabloii.Net Member
Has anyone tried (or knows) the probability for good rune drops in the Halls of Pain and vaught (or the other one. Levels 1 and 2 of Nihl's temple.)

I'm asking, because in normal, I've found quite a few Dol's from that temple, and just run on pl8 the NM temple (not level 3.) I thought that if Dol's were droppable at a decent rate in Normal, then NM and Hell must have pretty good drops too...
I remember seeing this discussed a few times about various areas, and I believe the generic (and mostly correct) reponse is:

Unfortunately, for medium-runes, the odds in Hell are almost identical to the odds in Normal. Sure, you may find a Dol every 10 runs in Normal, and by the odds, you'll probably find roughly the same drop rate in Hell. High-runes do/can drop in hell, but in other words, the scale is not linear. It's not even close.

My opinion is that you just having good rune-luck for that area. I've probably had 5+ Shaels off of Normal Eldritch over the years, but I don't think I've ever gotten a rune off of him that was higher than Hel.

As always, luck and persistence are the primary factors in rune drops. If you run any area enough times in Hell, you'll eventually get a good rune-drop or three.

Drystan

Diabloii.Net Member
Sirpoops said:
High-runes do/can drop in hell, but in other words, the scale is not linear. It's not even close.
:sad: I don't like what that means. Guess I won't find many there without lots of runs.

Sure, you may find a Dol every 10 runs in Normal, and by the odds
:grin: I was finding Dol's about every 5 runs in normal. Guess it's just luck, since I haven't found that many yet in NM.

Thanks for the info! :thumbsup:
Dryst.

DarkChaos

Diabloii.Net Member
I level melee characters in Nihi's Temple (not Vaught though, too dangerous), and it is indeed a good place for runes.