Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Has anyone ever...

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by BuFa, Oct 4, 2010.

1. BuFa

BuFa Diabloii.Net Member

Has anyone ever...

... made a Phoenix runeword in a shield?

I was here minding my own business, dreaming about HRs, when I noticed something I had never before:

Code:
    Phoenix:

Shields
    100% Chance To Cast level 40 Blaze When You Level-up
    40% Chance To Cast Level 22 Firestorm On Striking
    Level 10-15 Redemption Aura When Equipped (varies)
    +350-400 Defense Vs. Missile (varies)
    [highlight]+350-400% Enhanced Damage (varies)[/highlight]
    -28% To Enemy Fire Resistance
    +50 To Life
    +5% To Maximum Lightning Resist
    +10% To Maximum Fire Resist
    +15-21 Fire Absorb (varies)

Sure it's quite costly, but... and I might be wrong here, but Fortitude + Phoenix shield + Grief PB = THIS IS SPARTA?

On a second note, what kind of damage transfers into an Amazon's Poison Javelin and Explosive Arrow skills? For example, if I carry fire dmg charms will my explosive arrow explode harder o_O?

Uh, just ramblings.

Cheers!

2. Life

Life Diabloii.Net Member

Re: Has anyone ever...

Phoenix shield isn't all it seems. I mean if you're a glass tank (tons of damage, but dies quick) it is a good shield, but those aren't really a single-player type class.

Look at the flaws, no +Chance to block, no defense (vs missile don't count, the only hurtful missiles are elemental), no good resists (other than +max resist), no damage reduced (huge bonus for stormshield), no +str/dex (if you're a paladin, HoZ), etc.

Basically, this is a more multi-player pvp type shield. I actually tried this shield as a PvM shield on single player, and I was highly disappointed to find out it didn't help me kill that much more, the enhanced damage didn't make as much of a difference as my loss of defense did.

However, another runeword, Sanctuary might be a good runeword single-player shield depending on your class.

3. HappeningKT

HappeningKT Banned

This is a pat made by bcoe, in which he used pheonix pretty effectively.

4. roshen

roshen Diabloii.Net Member

Someone* has, and that someone still continues to bash his head on the computer table every time he thinks about how he used his second Jah**.

Take it from me BuFa, Phoenix is a naughty, naughty runeword. It promises so much and delivers so little. It might be useful on fringe builds or in very specific circumstances but that's not much of a reason to make one.

Conclusion - Avoidavoidavoid. Hell if you want to test it out I can loan mine to you, but it's a complete tosser of a runeword, even in the marginally insane days of 1.13c.

*-someone means me, if it wasn't immediately apparent.
    **-this was way back in the rune rare days of 1.12, making me doubly stupid.

5. bcoe

bcoe Diabloii.Net Member

I've made one. Its not nearly as useful as nearly as its cost would suggest, but there are a few things its good for. Tyto (pat thread referenced earlier) was incredibly fun - one of my very favorite characters. The CtC firestorm is very annoying and would be a deal-breaker for most builds, but if you can synergize it for a druid, the damage is not trivial at all. An oft-overlooked mod is the - to enemy fire resists. This is very useful for a pure fire sorc. My primary cow-runner is a pure fire sorc that uses Phoenix. The effect on cow resists is great - she clears at least as fast as a lite sorc, and the redemption aura makes her nearly immmortal. Since she doesn't attack, the ED and CtC are irrelevant.

I love my Phoenix for those two uses. I've used it on a few others (tele-zerker, javazon emphasizing physical damage, etc) and think it isn't great on anything else. The lack of resists and/or blocking makes it pretty weak defensively. The offensive boost is crippled by the CtC firestorm. The redemption aura and negative effect on enemy fire resists are the mods I'd focus on. Build around those and you'll be happy. Build around the ED (which everyone focuses on) and I think you'll be disappointed.

My 2 cents.

6. DarkChaos

DarkChaos Diabloii.Net Member

The CtC will break Zeal mid-cycle; definitely don't make this runeword unless you've got extra runes sitting around and nothing better to do with them.

7. dryzalizer

dryzalizer Diabloii.Net Member

If you have a bunch of rune wealth to throw away on Phoenix, you can make a melee necro with lots of CtC effects...check out the build here

8. JihadJesus

JihadJesus Diabloii.Net Member

The ctc kills attacks? That's stupid, other CTC curses, sorc skills, etc don't do that. It'd be a pretty sweet shield for a zeal enchantress otherwise.

[Edit]
    Actually it could be pretty good for a fireclaws build, too. I don't think Firestorm's castable in shifted form so that's no biggie, and the low block is a plus since block speed is horrible when shifted. The big ED% and -fire resist are obvious benefits there and the negatives don't matter as much. You know, if you already have one...

9. HappeningKT

HappeningKT Banned

@JJ : Firestorm can't be casted by using skill points in wereform, but ctc still works, as u can observe from bcoe's build I mentioned above.

10. JihadJesus

JihadJesus Diabloii.Net Member

Ah. Well, at least you could synergize it. Not worth the rune cost, though.

11. BuFa

BuFa Diabloii.Net Member

Ah, eek. What a disappointment.

I didn't know the firestorm would break attacks like that. I was kinda looking forward to someday making a double Phoenix zealot, but I guess no more. Thanks for the info though.

Btw, awesome, awesome pat bcoe.

12. Flayed One

Flayed One Diabloii.Net Member

To me 'phoenix' seems as if it was made for bows - magezons. Consider this:

-timer doesn't matter, because immolation has it's own, longer timer.
    - -%enemy fire resists
    - ITD for consistent piercing
    - Redemption aura which solves magezons biggest problem - mana
    - big physical damage+mana leech for bosses

I'd certainly make one if I had the runes:)(along with Ice:p I'm only 2xVex,2xJah and 2xLo away:p)