Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Harvard study says P2P Not Hurting Music Industry

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Yaboosh, Mar 31, 2004.

1. Yaboosh

Yaboosh IncGamers Member

2. Suicidal Zebra

Suicidal Zebra IncGamers Member

Umm... they are going to make a list of Harvard Business School Lecturers to initiate a lawsuit against?

But seriously, many groups have been saying the same things for years, hell album sales in the UK have actually increased among the P2P sharing community. The RIAA will keep their fingers in their ears until consumers start voting in serious numbers with their wallets, which will happen just after I become President of Canada.

3. DrunkPotHead

DrunkPotHead IncGamers Member

It means the RIAA will have to continue to ignore logical information until they run themselves into the ground.

Just wondering, who pays for the RIAA? Who pays their employees?

Why not send this study to the people paying them, not the actual RIAA?

4. thejdawg2

thejdawg2 IncGamers Member

It means nothing. They've already decided to ignore it.

5. Ev_

Ev_ IncGamers Member

LOL!!!

Canadian court just ruled that file sharers can't be sued by the record industry.
    It was just revealed that Australia just had the best year of record sales ever, despite the ARIA's claims.

The RIAA's case is taking some serious hits lately.
    Good...greedy liars.

6. DuncanID

DuncanID IncGamers Member

Why does it matter if this is hurting record sales or not? Anyone using filesharing is stealing intellectual property.

Even if I was making more money, I don't think I'd really be pleased if people were using my creative works in a manner I had neither allowed nor endorsed.

7. Canadia142

Canadia142 Banned

duncan, what if you found out your sales were going up because more people were discovering you from kazaa and stuff?

8. Nword

Nword Banned

what if someone didn't kill theirself because they found good music on kazaa to make them happy again? :drool:

9. axeil

axeil IncGamers Member

What if..... (to continue as the previous two posts have)

The RIAA stopped being such pricks about this whole situation and leave the file sharers alone. If the artists want to go after them, fine, I'm not going to try to stop them. But since the RIAA has been proven to lose nothing on this whole transaction they should really drop this about now.

10. DuncanID

If I found that out it still wouldn't change the fact that people are taking my intellectual property and using it without my permission. If I decide I am willing to sacrifice control of my music/writing/ideas in exchange for money, that's my decision. But I should have the chance to make that decision. Kazaa takes that choice away.

That's where the argument for filesharing breaks down. Point out all the statistics you want concerning sales, it still is the right of the music company and the artist to determine how their intellectual property is distributed.

11. cougar

cougar IncGamers Member

maybe so... but that hasn't stopped me from boycotting them because of the way they are going about this. Guess they aren't getting my money anymore.

A part of the way they are going about this is that they have decreasing sales. Then when something comes out disproving that... they ignore it. Pretty weak.

12. dantose

dantose IncGamers Member

What if the recording industry already kept tight control of the artists and didn't allow them to write and sing exactly what they wanted anyway (out side of a few exceptions)? What if the industry had their best songwriters do a few songs per album and had the rest as filler? What if people started doing covers of songs, posting lyrics to songs, humming songs in public? Why, who knows what that could lead to!

13. Chief JB

Chief JB IncGamers Member

Well using Kazaa has made me go out and buy more cd's. I'll download songs on it that I wouldn't originally spend money on, then figure out I like it so I go out and buy the cd. I like having the actual cd and if I ever burn any they usually end up getting thrown away in like a week.

14. Starfishied

Starfishied IncGamers Member

I would more than happy to purchase the product, if the product really is well composed. Seriously, how many artists produced great albums these days? The most is probably 2-3 good songs out of the whole album. In addition to that, some even re-release an identical album with additional one or two songs and expect consumers to buy both of the original and re-release. These artists aren't much different than Bill Gates.

15. DuncanID

Can't you buy singles then? Or use one of the new pay-per-download systems? Plus, it's not like you need free music to live.

Moreover, do you really think filesharing is going to encourage artists to release better albums? It seems logical to me that the current trends would lead primarily to artists releasing ONLY singles, which would seem to stifle creativity, rather than endorse it.

16. cougar

cougar IncGamers Member

yah it would encourage them to make better albums because then people will buy them.. people dont buy crappy albums, hence filesharing.

17. Gigas

Gigas IncGamers Member

Come to think of it, I haven't seen any singles available to purchase for a very long time.

Okay, my brother just told be that the RIAA disalowed the sale of singles because it was hurting the sales of full albums. I can't say if that's true or not, but it would be just like those RIAA bastards.

I hate them. I hate them so much.

18. Chief JB

Chief JB IncGamers Member

Actually I don't think filesharing is going to make that much of a difference in how well they play. Besides, most artists I have songs of aren't releasing anything new and in most cases I own the cd anyways. I just don't like having to pop a new cd in every time I want a different song as I sit here on the computer.

I hope all the new artists are discouraged by filesharing and end their bands and or lives so we don't have to deal with their disgusting music.

19. DuncanID

For as much as people complain about how music from the RIAA does nothing but cater to the lowest common denominator, and how pop music is entirely unoriginal, it is the attitude of "I only want to pay for songs I like" that I feel poses a huge risk to the music industry.

I think people generally don't like to admit it, but those crappy songs on the "b" side, those songs that aren't released as singles because they don't appeal to the largest audience, those are the songs in which artists can take chances and try new things.

If each song is sold on its own merits, the margin for error becomes far more slim. Each song will have to be a commercial success, and the available songs will start to sound more and more alike.

20. thejdawg2

thejdawg2 IncGamers Member

Oxymoron me thinks.