Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Harmless yet disturbing

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Dutchman, Jan 29, 2004.

1. Dutchman

Dutchman IncGamers Member

Harmless yet disturbing

For some reason tonight I pulled out my father's old coin collection and started looking through it. I came across some really cool old stuff, the oldest (that was still readable to the naked eye) being a German coin from 1874. The oldest paper money was also from Germany from just before the first world war. I guess the German economy was in trouble after the war because the denominations for this stuff were enormous.

Anyway as I was sifting through I came across several German coins from the 30's and 40's. Can you guess what was on them? 60+ years later, some harmless pieces of metal and yet simply having the swaztika plastered on them and knowing the government which minted them made me uncomfortable simply handling these things. It's sad really, the coin from the 1800's has a beautiful elaborate bird motif crest on it, as does one from 1913, a coin from 25 has simple staulks of wheat. Coins from after the second world war have a fantastic female partial nude. Right smack in the middle are these abominations.

History will forever haunt us.

Dutch

2. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

I collect old coins and war memorabilia. I have a German WWII cap badge with a small bullet hole through the top edge. Guess they're not bulletproof. Unlucky bastard.

I also have a spent bullet from the American Civil war. It's bloody heavy. No wonder most people who got shot in an extremity had to have the whole limb taken off. The bullet is bleamin' huge.

I have an English penny from 1834 and one from 1934. It's pretty cool to compare the two. Yes, I'm a dork. :xtongue:

3. Corneo

Corneo IncGamers Member

I have a Canadian quarter. Trade ya?

4. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

I have a Canadian 1 dollar bill. It's been a damn long time since we've had those in circulation.

5. masterazn

masterazn Banned

i have a 3 dollar bill

6. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

the ****s, whether they are censored or not :xrollseye :xgrin: are a part of history, a very important part, don't hide the swastikas, keep them where you can see them and don't forget the hate and destruction they inspired

7. ULTIMATER

ULTIMATER IncGamers Member

My Grandfather has 3 full sets of plates and forks and stuff with the ****cross on them. Stolen from the Germans in WW2.

Is this worth something today?

8. Wolfwind

Wolfwind IncGamers Member

If you want a snort about the Swastika, try looking up it's symbolic meaning in relation to hinduism, and a few other religious groups that were established way before ol' Mr. Genocide took it as his emblem.

I don't have my book right in front of me, but I believe the swastika if I remember rightly was a sign of contentment, or peace. That's why a few philosophers have critcised Hitler for 'Using it wrong.'

Considering his lack of marbles he probably thought it looked 'kewl' on his machines of death.

9. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

[email protected] memorabilia is worth quite a bit nowadays. You can't sell it most places in Europe, because lots of countries there have "ooh if you show is that it'll be icky" kind of laws on the books, though. You could make some money off of the swag if you were loath to have it around the house . . .

But I would hold on to it. For two reasons.

First, it's part of your family history, in a way. Your pops collected this stuff. He put his time into it. Your grandparents (and all manner of distant cousins, no doubt) were intimately involved with the people who made those shapes on the coins and bills, in one way or another. It's their past, and it's your past as a result.

Ash (in one of those posts that makes me think it's worth putting up with all his spammage :teeth: ) put his finger right on it. It's worth remembering, and not because it puts you in mind of the glory the human spirit can achieve, but because it can remind you of the very opposite.

I'd love to see some pics of the collection someday. If you can scan the coins into digital form let me know. My dad has some early eighteenth-ecntury stuff from America, and I've got the odd Tokugawa-era money piece lying around; I'm interested.

10. Ash Housewares

that was a very subdued post on my part considering I was reading some old Churchill speeches at the time

11. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

nobody has ever spelled "spammage" more wrong in the history of the intarweb but I still stand by what I wrote

12. Ash Housewares

eh, next forum apocalypse will get rid of it, if I had a sig I would preserve it for you, but what can I say

13. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

Done. :xgift:

14. Ash Housewares

thanks annie baby, oooh, a lucky count, damnit, I need to get to Vegas

15. Dutchman

Dutchman IncGamers Member

Oh its not that I want to get rid of them, and they aren't mine to sell anyway even if they did turn out to be worth something, I'm just amazed at the feelings they engender, so many years later, for someone whose Papi was just a kid at the time. Powerful stuff.

Anyway Durf if you have any particular area of interest let me know and I'll start snapping digital photos. The bulk of the coins aren't particularly old, most being from the 30's and 40's, but they are from an amazing variety of countries.

I have no idea what a Rupee was worth, but at some time in the 30's it made sense to mint 1/4 rupee coins. :D . Wonder what it bought?

Dutch

Edit: Also, what in the seven hells was a British farthing? I thought they dealt in pence and variations thereof for there coins?

16. Dark Knight

Dark Knight IncGamers Member

Hi I swear I saw something on television recently that said these plates and stuff were worth quite a bit!

On the 'collection' subject:

I own a small arabic style dagger thing (but its only a fruit knife or something :p ) from WWII, and also a **** belt with "Gott mit uns" on the front.

Eerie.

17. User Name

User Name IncGamers Member

Aren't Rupee coins those things you collected in Zelda?

Anyways, yea back in the 30-40 when Mr Hitler was running the show in Germany, lots of things started featuring him. I have a couple old German stamps in my stamp collection with a picture of him on it.

Also, on a semi-related note, my grandmother owns a china set, and on the reverse of each item, in tiny print, it reads "Made in Occupied Japan", refering to when America shortly held control over Japan after the atom bombs were dropped there. Since barely anything say "Occupied Japan" because the time Japan was occupied was so short, the china set is worth like $5,000-6,000 :xmad: