Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Hardware Question : Better graphic card for lesser lag? if

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by halohalo, Mar 21, 2004.

1. halohalo

halohalo IncGamers Member

Hardware Question : Better graphic card for lesser lag?

I dunno where to ask this question so I give a shot in this forum :)

I lag pretty often in the game. No wonder when I am a summon nec with 27 skellies and more. When I enter Bloody Foothills from Frigid WP, I laaaag pretty bad. Even worse is when Shenk dies. Similar lag when I teleport with all my minions, especially when all them have the curse graphic over their head.

Some cause to the lag might be because I am far away from US east zone. I am in asia now, but use US-east server for a few good reasons. But I don't think that is a big matter. It seems to be my hardware that produce lags.

Pentium 3, 1.2Ghz, 40x CD-Rom drive are what I got. I suspect that my old graphic card is dragging the game. It's an old version that don't even have 3-D acceleration feature.

OOOOr, it might be my windows XP problem. Maybe it's time again for me to format the c drive and reinstall all programs :uhhuh:

I plan on investing what money i got on a new graphic card if it guarantees improvement in graphic performances of diablo2 game. If not, I don't plan to waste my money that way.

Your suggestions plz??? Thanks in advance!

2. Shade

Shade IncGamers Member

Type /fps in-game, if your ping is high (1000+) that's part of the problem, if your FPS drops below 25 then there's something going on with your system too.

A good graphics card is nice but not really essential. If you have an 8MB or higher card it should be able to run D2 pretty smoothly (it was, though, optimised for using Glide - which is now out of business).

More memory might also help. In the little fps display, you'll see two numbers 'phys' and 'swap'. Phys is good (your actual memory), swap is bad (your hard disk's swap file). If swap is much higher than phys, get more RAM in your computer.

And defragging your hard disk can also help.

3. Masticophis

Masticophis IncGamers Member

Are you truly lagging ? or are you getting choppy gameplay ?

I recommend typing the /fps command durring a game just as Shade suggested. If you are truly "lagging" your ping will be kinda high. If you have a low frames per second (fps) then provide a few more system specs. It'll help out with why you are having this problem.

I run an Athlon t-bird 750 with 512mb pc-133 ram with a abit saluro 64mb geforce 4 mx card. I rarely get choppy gameplay durring normal play. I do get really choppy play in an 8 player baal run durring a session of "destroy the minions".

On the lag side of it, I run two computers on a 36.0kbs dial up connection, and I dont lag really at all. Even while both computers are in different 8 player games, my ping on both machines stay at 150-170 at the most.

Let me know more about your system specs, be as detailed as possible, and include any updates, driver versions, etc. that you can name. Also post your ping durring these times of "lag". We can try and do what we can to give you the best possible advice.

-Hope this helps..

4. halohalo

halohalo IncGamers Member

Guys, you are the most kind! Never expected this much attention. Thanks :)

Ok, I guess I was having a choppy game, rather than lagging.
    The following numbers were taken from a solo baal run with summon nec :

Overall ping : around 300 (as usual)
    in town, no minions, standing : 60fps, 0skips, Phys 237/256m
    in town, 29 minions, standing : 18fps, 6skips, Phys 237/256m
    in town, 29 minions, moving : 13fps, 10skips, Phys similar

during minor combat : 10fps, 15skips (usual engagement with a few melee monsters)
    during major combat : 5fps, 20skips (with curses, auras and all that missiles)
    all alone with baal(with my minions) : 18fps, 16skips

Best in field : 18fps, 9skips
    Worst in field : 2fps, 0skips(when entering throne from WSK 3)

I cannot find the 'swap' thing on my /fps display, but as far as 'phys' goes, I get from 226 to 251 out of 256m.
    I see this 'Page' thing on my /fps display, which increases with time. Started from 286/1234m. After the run, it's 398/1234m. No idea what this means.

My Hardware :
    Video : Nvidia RIVA TNT2 Model 64/Model 64 pro
    256m of RAM
    Pentium 3, 1.2Ghz
    Harddisks : C with 2Gb free out of 12.6Gb, and D(which has diablo) with 2Gb free out of 18Gb.

I noticed that even with good fps and no skips, i.e. in town, I get choppy when coming down the stairs from malah to my stash, or when running to the red portal by anya. And when that happens, I hear my hard disk running. In this case, I start running very slow, then I hear my hard disk, then suddenly I run very fast seemingly to catch up with the slow started run.

I hope these helps in analyzing my problem. Thanks in advance! :D

5. Anti-Flagger13

Anti-Flagger13 IncGamers Member

I'm pretty sure the page thing is RAM, because mine says 1024 (i have dual 512s wheee). It usually only gets up to around 700, but it runs fine for me. Your internet is playing a small factor I guess, because 300 is sorta bad, but back on my old comp I was around 250 or so, and it still went OK. I'm guessing it's your video card. I'm no expert, though. You can find pretty cheap ones though, so go shopping or something :thumbsup:

6. Armor_Biff

Armor_Biff IncGamers Member

Get a Voodoo5 and your problems are over. Although if you play other games as well, then it might be better to get one of the latest ATI or nVidia video cards.

7. Cloud_Walker

Cloud_Walker Banned

Choppy gameplay in general means you need a better graphics card.

Choppy gameplay when taking WPs and entering different areas could be you need a better graphics card OR you need more RAM. If you hear your hard drive spinning up, then that means it's accessing it for memory. To solve this problem, give it more RAM so it doesn't have to go to the HD.

Just be glad you don't have a laptop, heh. I go down to 10fps about every 5 to 10 seconds, regardless of what is happening in game, ALL THE TIME.