Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Hardcore Official!!!!!

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by fatwisconsinguy, Oct 11, 2008.

1. Sepharia

Sepharia Diabloii.Net Member

Re: Hardcore Official!!!!!

Hardcore will be in the game for me regardless of whether or not Blizzard puts it in as a feature. If my character dies, I'll exit the game and delete her.

Granted, I'd like to see the feature there, don't get me wrong. But, if they cut it for some reason, I have my ghetto HC to fall back on.

2. studyhall

studyhall Diabloii.Net Member

Lol.. amusing idea but one question, how is it a "ghetto" idea. Do you honestly know what a ghetto is and how your idea is nothing even closely related to a ghetto?

3. LifeAfterDeath

LifeAfterDeath Diabloii.Net Member

Ah white people....they just don't get it.

4. Sepharia

Wow... Way to take things WAY too literal... High five. :thumbup:

5. jarpy

jarpy Diabloii.Net Member

Exactly! :thumbup: Hardcore doesn't need a checkbox in the interface, you just need the dicipline to decide that your character is dead.

I used to play D1 like that. Calling it "One Life/One Death" as "Hardcore" hadn't been invented yet.

6. MYK

MYK Diablo: IncGamers Member

Oh boy.

You don't "need" a lot of things if you're basing your gameplay on self imposed rules. I think it reflects a lack of content if you have to pretend that something is there that's not, in a video game.

In D2 when you killed Hell Baal you're granted the title "Guardian" if done in HC and Patriarch/Matriarch when done in SC. To me, hardcore is a way of saying, "put your money where your mouth is, if you can!" You either get there or you really don't. No pretending necessary. :thumbup:

7. jarpy

If we think of video games as a subset of games generally, I don't think it's so strange to create player-imposed rules. Card games, board games, role-playing games et al. all require the player to implement the rules themselves. The players accept a set of rules that constitute the game. By agreeing to different rules, the players can alter the game. As a gamer in general, rather than a video gamer specifically, it's natural for me to see a video game as a ruleset that can be extended by consent of the players.

In general gaming, changes of this type are "house rules". In a video gaming context you could call it a mod. It's just that the mod is implemented in the imagination of the players, not in the software.

8. Akse

Akse Banned

Those rules won't work in battle.net, have you seen whats the quality of people down there. It would create so much arguing etc. when people pretend something they haven't done. Thats why its good to have a system that shows whats really going on.

9. jarpy

Fair enough. If you wanted to able to prove to others that your character had never died, then I guess you do need hard rules in the game engine. For me, hardcore is more of a personal commitment. I don't mind if battlenet folk are unaware or unbelieving.

So I guess that self-imposed hardcore can be valid or flawed. It depends on your motivation for wanting to play that way.

All this aside, I'm pretty confident that D3 with have a built-in hardcore mode anyway. It's so easy to implement that I can't imagine them dropping it.

10. Sepharia

^ This. I don't care about the bragging rights, or letting the world see how uber awesome I am. But, I understand that a lot of people do like it for that reason, and I don't have a problem with that at all. People should play the game to have fun, and if that is fun for them then more power to 'em.

Maybe I wasn't totally clear, but I'm all for a hardcore system in D3.. I hope it's there. I'm just saying, that if it's not, it wouldn't be the end of the world for me, that's all. Though I can certainly see how a lot of folks would be upset over it, and I wouldn't blame them. :yes:

11. Akse

Akse Banned

I only would just want to have hardcore and sorftcore so that there would be 2 different communities. From my experience the hardcore community has always been better for me. It's smaller and people behave better in there.

12. Ragefist

Ragefist Diabloii.Net Member

Yes, this is a good point. The hardcore cummunity is usually full of competent players.

13. crazybs

crazybs Diabloii.Net Member

I don't know about hardcore and how great of an idea it is online with server issues and latency and other random acts of nature. Single player would be ok, since it's all local.

Let's just say I've had too many random hardcore characters die because bnet decided to drop some insanely high ping on me at the wrong time. Either way, they'll probably put it in because it's cool seeing robed figures in chat rooms, ha. :p

14. Gonzo

Gonzo Diabloii.Net Member

That's why the very existence of hardcore makes softcore worse. If there was no hardcore then softcore would be better since those players would influence the others.

15. konnu

konnu Diabloii.Net Member

I never liked HC. that said, take what i say with grain of salt.

Maybe make a softcore version of HC where you'd lose all your equipment and considerable amount of levels. Say 10% off of your current level would mean if you die level 90 chracter, you'd lose 9 levels and all your gear. Add in a few days worth of resurection sickness too -10% all stats.

Edit: I'd like to see some heavy penalty to death in softcore too. I detest the WOW battlegrounds respawn mechanic

16. LucianDK

LucianDK Diabloii.Net Member

If any of you remember Diablo1. When you died, you dropped -all- the equipment you carried on your person, leaving you stark naked. It was nearly fatal to both Warrior and Rogue types. Only Sorcerers, being skill based for damage, could hope of having a chance to recover the items.