Hardcore NM Meph without MF- worth the trouble?

lpblasch

Diabloii.Net Member
Hardcore NM Meph without MF- worth the trouble?

Here's the situation:
I'm fairly new to Hardcore, so I'm item poor at the moment. I have finally gotten a character to NM Act 3, so I'm thinking of doing some Meph runs to increase the inventory. BUT: I have zero MF gear to wear.

So, I know Meph drops decent stuff compared to other bosses, but is it worth the time and risk (considering those freaking lightning fast Stygian dolls that dart in and half empty your bottle) in Hardcore to farm him if I don't have any MF gear?

roninDOG

Diabloii.Net Member
Do some shopping and grab a pair of mf gloves or boots. Or get a few toapzes in some socketed gear. If you can get from 50-100 mf it will make a HUGE difference. Otherwise I think your farming wont turn out nearly as good.

As for HC, if you can take mef easily then hes worth farming a bit. If you cant, not worth it just move on IMO and run Baal to level up before hell.

-roninDOG

Sir Lister of Smeg

Diabloii.Net Member
Even without the magic find gear, he drops good, and he might just drop the magic find gear you need. But survival is the key in hardcore, don't sacrifice survivability (and thus your character) for magic find. You could also try to run the countess or andariel first, the former for runes (a rhyme shield is very good if you don't have it yet, faster blocking, higher blocking, resistances, and a bit of magic find), the latter for items (worse items than meph in general, but the highest chance for for example a stone of jordan, better than meph for jewelry in general). Also, you might just continue questing for a while, and after you gained some levels go back to haunt meph, it will be a lot easier then.

Llathias

Banned
Though I was a big fan of NM Meph, I'm currently running him with an untwinked character, and he doesn't seem to drop ANYTHING with 93 (and sometimes 108, if I can switch the rings) MF. I probably haven't done more than 30 runs, but I'm starting to lose hope already.

Then again, if you're going to run somewhere, NM Meph is probably the easiest and most rewarding target... statistically!

lpblasch

Diabloii.Net Member
Though I was a big fan of NM Meph, I'm currently running him with an untwinked character, and he doesn't seem to drop ANYTHING with 93 (and sometimes 108, if I can switch the rings) MF. I probably haven't done more than 30 runs, but I'm starting to lose hope already.

Then again, if you're going to run somewhere, NM Meph is probably the easiest and most rewarding target... statistically!
Thanks, thats just the kind of input I was looking for. Guess I'll quest on for a bit, leveling up and maybe return when I find some MF stuff. You experienced HC players have probably forgotten the feeling, but I'm absolutely delighted to be lvl 62 and cruising along fairly well, thanks to a super fast phase blade from VCROW. This is the first Tesladin I have tried, and he's great fun.

Hp_Sauce

Diabloii.Net Member
When I was in your situation a few months ago I ran NM Meph with about 25-30 MF for quite some time. I also ran the NM countess at the same time so I could build up a supply of runes.

It's frustrating at times when he keeps dropping useless blues, but I suggest picking up the blues and selling them so you can gamble. That's what keeps my spirits up during dry times.

Anyway, that same Sorceress is now MF'ing Hell Meph with 220 some odd MF and is the basis of most of my SP HC wealth.

I should say, that once I gained the levels, items, and courage from running NM Meph and the Countess I eventually quested to act 5 NM and ran E/S/P and Baal as well as Meph and the Countess, and I very distinctly remember thinking how if it wasn't for the fact that Baal was the only one still giving me experience I'd quit running him and just stick with Meph. Baal simply took longer and had a higher danger value compared to Meph while not really dropping more or better items.

After that (at level 80) I moved onto Hell Andy, and the Ancient Tunnels.

Anyway, the point of my story is: persist and you will succeed!

-hps

purplelocust

Diabloii.Net Member
Also, you might just continue questing for a while, and after you gained some levels go back to haunt meph, it will be a lot easier then.
Great advice- Meph will still be there after you've gained more levels and gotten further. If doll blasts are a big concern, you may want to reroll your map to try and get one where the stairs down are close to the WP, particularly if you are going to do many many runs.

Most of my memorable HC deaths were running bosses or areas I'd done before, not questing. It's easy to lose focus when you are on your way to killing something you've killed a few times before, so remember to pay attention and not take it for granted that will be easy each of the next 100 times.