Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

hardcore newcomer

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by decoy_sJ, Apr 6, 2004.

1. decoy_sJ

decoy_sJ IncGamers Member

hardcore newcomer

hi everyone!

was browsing through the hardcore forums this afternoon and decided that i'm going to forsake my comfort zone which is the SCL and try my hand at hardcore.. :innocent:

any advice for a hardcore first timer here? any tips would be greatly appreciated! :buddies:

2. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

I'll offer up three tips:

1) Read the FAQ sticky thing. It's a bacon saver (most of my tips are stolen from the FAQ)

2) Play a character that you are comfortable with. That is to say, don't play a skelliedude just because everyone clains that they are dope.

3) Be patient. Don't be in a hurry to get to A5 at lvl 20, if the critters don't get you, the PKers will.

4) Life and resists are the holy grail.

5) When you die, and you will, don't get upset. Laugh and rebuild.

Hmm, my math is off. Anyway, HC is a bunch of fun and there seem to be less asshats than SC (though they do exist).

Welcome to the madhouse!

3. skunkbelly

skunkbelly IncGamers Member

Solid tips from maccool. I'll add the following:

1. The first time through in HC, it's a good idea to actually *quest through the game* as much as you can. You'll get a better feel for things than you will if you level up fast in a bunch of baal runs. The number one cause of death in HC is getting ahead of yourself.

2. Learn about PKs and their tactics. Also, watch out for trapped WPs. Trust no one, unless you know them.

3. Resists. Blocking. Life. Worth repeating :D

4. Good tactics and lame gear > good gear and lame tactics. If anyone tells you "you must have item xxx to make build xxx," they probably aren't very good at the game (flame-proof suit ON :jig: ).

have fun!

4. STINGER

STINGER IncGamers Member

NOOOOOOOOOO dont play HC it suxs!

Dont be a begger for items........learn to acheive with what you have and find now while you have nothing and it will make you a better player and let you live longer once you find that great stuff.

great stuff dont make the player, the player makes the player.

Vampgaze, String, SS...etc are nice items but if you wear those and cant get your rez or life you are better off eith a Pdiamond Shield, PRuby Helm and a Magical life belt with some rez!

Runes like ral, ORT, Thul arent just crafting runes or trash as when you have nothing they can help you get your resists.

Half of BNet wants to kill you and half of the rest want to see you die! The majority of the other 25% will not help you out of a jam and risk thier neck for you, however ther are some golden people in HC so dont destress.

There is no prize for getting anywhere fast there is only the prize of being alive at the time you log off.

Gidbin isnt some stupid side quest that is worthless, it can actually reward you with a nice ring if you dont have squat and at times a godly one.

Most the crap SC players beleive are useless are very usefull in HC.

Go back and reread the normal class sets and uniques. These arent junk, many of these items can be very handy even on a lvl 90.

Being Pked suxs, Pks in general tend to sux but fact is they are there. It is best to just play public, learn to spot them and learn to avoid them now when you are lvl 20 rather than pay the price big time at lvl 80+.

i could type all day on this topic.

5. decoy_sJ

hey thanks for the input guys! i just read thru Zappa's guide and it is truly helpful..

ok one question..which realm would be best to play on? in SCL i used to play on asia2 cos my friends were there but unfortunately, i cant get anything for trade anywhere in the forums and secondly, i dun think if i post a 'HELP DC IN GAME NOW!' thread anyone will be playing on A2 to help..soo..

which realm would be best to play HCL on? :innocent: best as in i can at least look for help from the regular forumers if i had to..

6. STINGER

STINGER IncGamers Member

Where you get the least amount of lag and some sort of populas for the time you play.

ADVICE:

Dont depend on others to help you it only makes you weak. HC isnt for the weak player and if you start off on the "help me road" you will never leave it and become a pest to the new friends you aquire.

You would be suprised how quick ppl are to help those that dont ask for help. Those that bust thier butts, fail, pick themselves up and wipe off the dust and get right back at it eran respect. Respect gains things that one can only imagine if they dont do it themselves.

7. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

Well, if you don't know anyone, play on the realm that has the least lag.

I'm on East, which apparently is the toilet of HC :lol:, but I've heard good stuff about our friends across the pond on Europe.

8. decoy_sJ

cool thanks stinger

i guess i will stick to asia 2 then..

but attempting to trade on the forums is a pain to say the least..thats y i was thinking of switching.. :lol:

9. Chiller_babe

Chiller_babe IncGamers Member

Play wherever gives you the least lag:)

There are forum members on Europe, US East and US West mostly but all the help from us in the world ain't gonna help if you lag out playing solo in a bunch of conviction enchanted Gloams!

GL with all your endeavors

Chill (Europe)

EDIT beaten to it twice *chill enroles in a pitman course in beginners typing*

10. decoy_sJ

well! i will be the forst ( if not one of the very few) on the HC forum to play on Asia2 :yep: :yep: :yep:

first step into the hardcore blood moor...SO EXCITING!!!!! :lol:

11. CoonerTheRed

CoonerTheRed IncGamers Member

europe, west, and east all have pretty good populations here, not so much on asia. And, while i agree with stinger that you shouldn't ask for help, since fighting through without the help is when you learn the most, it IS helpful to have others around for other things- especially if you get into playing with an untwinked team, trading on the hc trade forum, etc etc. So sure, play wherever you get least ping, but you might enjoy the social aspect of the game and the forum much better on east/west/europe.

(you can take off your flame-proof suit, Skunkbelly... at least I agree with you :D )

edit: besides, flamed skunk just smells nasty..... :uhhuh:

12. decoy_sJ

i was thinking more along the lines of trading and stuff..cos u guys dun have an idea how hard it is to trade in my realm..but still..i will give A2 a go..

The_HolyDude is now level 4 as we speak..gonna be a hammerdin and hopefully he will not be dead anytime soon.. :innocent:

13. IamTheTest

IamTheTest IncGamers Member

I too have begun the plunge into deathcore. Something that helps me is to think back to when you first began playing. Remember all the weird stuff you tried to do, like put something in every socket you could, frivilously placing points in vitality, walking everywhere, and potioning everytime your life went bellow half...start over doing that. Once you get comfortable with crawling through the game start to remember the SC stuff. Being a good HC player will make you a patient person...or at least help to.

14. decoy_sJ

hahaha it had been a long time since i used a chipped ruby + chipped sapphire short sword at level 6...sure brings back fond memories of the un-rushed days :innocent:

15. STINGER

STINGER IncGamers Member

Make a Necro, lvl one and run out into Blood mmoor or take a TP to somewhere worse and let him die and it will help you remember what is to come if you dont reorganize the way you play!

They have the best death screams in the game!

16. Reikon

Reikon IncGamers Member

Hmm, and there was me thinking you were trying to avoid those "death screams" :scratch: