Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Hardcore is an endless source of laughs!

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by BIGeyedBUG, Apr 6, 2004.

1. BIGeyedBUG

BIGeyedBUG IncGamers Member

Hardcore is an endless source of laughs!

To really appreciate the following, keep in mind it was hardcore. [I have also posted this in another, equally magical place.]

This weekend my SP Claws of Thunder Assassin Panasonic was having a fun time clearing one of my favorite areas in the game--the Chaos Sanctuary. In this case, I mean "fun" in the sense of "enjoyably nerve-wrackingly mad", which implies a certain high level of attention. While true for the most part, my play had a bit of a breakdown when it got time to open the Infector of Souls present.

My normal procedure is to open a TP, crack the seal, and then go back to town and come back into the Chaos Sanctuary through the front door. Since things had been going pretty easily up until that point, I decided to go ahead and try to fight around the seal. If things didn't go well, I thought Panasonic could just fall back to the Town Portal. While possibly somewhat dangerous, it did have one enormous advantage: I'd might save about, oh, a minute walking all that way from the RoF waypoint.

As you've probably guessed, the battle didn't go particularly well. Vikhyat the Prayer Merc ("Prayer", as in "don't have a") and the shadow went down like that, and Pan got mobbed in the corner. Fortunately, it was the corner with the TP. Unfortunately, she couldn't enter it, because a little chain with a small red sign saying, "Hit Recovery" was blocking the way. She's sucking down potions, trying to click into the TP, demons lickin' their chops like mad, red ball going down, down, up with a potion, back down, down, down pretty goshdarn close to nothing, up a little, down again--nothing happens when I hit my belt!--down, clicketyclicketyclickety on TP and empty belt...Aye yai yai!

Pan emerged in the Panda Forest with just under a quarter of her life and one (1) blue (blue) potion in her belt. Whew! My heart's racing, hands shaking, and I nearly drop my laptop on the floor in my hurry to get up and get some water. A half-hour later I plop down on the couch to get payback.

Pan resurrects and apologizes to the merc, pumps her shadow, takes off all her silly gold find stuff, and puts every charm into her pack. We pause a moment to take a deep breath and then jump on the waypoint.

Oh, wait. That's what was supposed to happen. What actually happened is that
    I went back into my own trapped Town Portal! Gahhhhh!

The demons are just amazed and delighted that we're back. The shadow evaporates. Vikhyat gives me a reproachful look, and then dies again. The Infector's lips are getting chapped from all the licking he's doing, and despite getting a portal up, Pan can't get through it.

At that point, I give up on some level. "Pan's at least gonna lay some hurtin' on these guys before she gets taken down," I think.

It's tough, but she actually gets off a few attacks. A couple of minions drop, and the pressure eases off a fraction. Figuring we only have a few seconds left in any case, and that any defensive actions will only take away from her offense, Pan manages to get three charges of Claws of Thunder and smacks the Infector right in the jaw with Dragon Claw.

There's a flash, and charged bolts fly. All of the bad guys drop simultaneously in a neat little circle around Pan. She's alone.

"That wasn't so hard," I think. "Kinda cool actually. It'll make a good Single Player Forum story, and it'll be amusing to poke fun at my own stoopiddity. Going through the TP instead of the waypoint, oh my." I look at her belt.

There's nothing in it but the one blue pot. I'd forgotten to refill it. :bonk: :bonk: :bonk:

2. Spook_Cell

Spook_Cell IncGamers Member

That's why I don't play HC :lol:

Good story and try to be more careful in the future :clap:

3. CrazyChihuahua

CrazyChihuahua IncGamers Member

Ha, nice story indeed! I like seeing these kind of posts in the forum. Gives me some entertainment.

Bring us more of your HC endeavors! :jig:

And oh ya, assassins rule!

4. Wolfgang Abenteuer

Wolfgang Abenteuer IncGamers Member

Awesome story! My heart races when Hell Meph smacks my Sorc with one of his ice spells, and I only play SC! I can imagine the adrenaline rush you must get from that. :D

BTW, should you ever come that close to dying with your 'sin (or any HC char for that matter), just remember these three words:

SAVE AND EXIT!!! :teeth:

~Wolfgang

5. Johney

Johney IncGamers Member

And who says D2 has a bad story line! You just have to make your own.

6. Fafner

Fafner IncGamers Member

You see this is why I'll never try a HC melee assassin without a valium prescreption. Hell I get killed 5-6 times non HC in that area, damn you IM, damn you to Hell.

Funny story. This was Normal diff. I assume? Mistakes like that later on are fatal.

7. tragor

tragor IncGamers Member

Great story. Contrary to the others, that's why I love HC. But I love rock climbing, too, so sanity has nothing to do with it. Luckily I don't climb HC. I still use a rope, just in case. :lol:

8. NSXdreamer

NSXdreamer IncGamers Member

Congrats! Guess you are much more skillful than me since I got my avenger killed a few days ago just like that, but fortunately it was sc. (dang pack spawned extra fast, couldn't even outrun them with vigor on :grrr: )

9. BIGeyedBUG

Yup. There's no way she'd have made it in NM or Hell. Even when I'm playing my best the CS in those difficulties is tough.

As far as IM goes, MA Assassins have one amazing advantage over other melee classes: Blade Fury. This being Normal though, and most of her damage being Lightning, Pan just equipped two non-ED% Blade Talons and waded in.

10. BIGeyedBUG

Sadly for you, but happily for me, most of my HC endeavors aren't nearly as entertaining. [I'm trying to imagine how fun it would be to read about running away from the Ancients for an hour and a half.]

Thanks everybody, for the compliments!

Agreed. But :shhh:, it's better if the other classes don't realize it. :D

11. whomhead

whomhead IncGamers Member

:lol:

I hate it when I do that! I've actually made both of those mistakes before... "phew, glad I managed to make it out of that situation alive!" *walks right back into that horrible situation* D'oh!

12. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

Great battle, and very well told. Good work!

Now do the same thing with Diablo and come back to tell us about that too. :teeth:

13. BIGeyedBUG

Me too. But I've never made those mistakes in HC, I've never made them in such a "really shoulda died" situation, and I've certainly never committed both errors at the same time! Incredible stupidity cancelled out by ludicrous dumb luck. Afterward, I felt like a meteorite should have landed on me or something, just to balance out the karmic forces.

@Durf--
    I think if I did the same thing with Diablo, I'd come back looking like Wile E. Coyote after a mishap with Acme dynamite. You know, two blinking eyes on an Assassin shaped pile of ashes.

Btw, His Incendiary Halitosisness was no problem. Panasonic just finished the Anya quest and spends much of her time making sure her belt is fully stocked.

14. Cauthon

Cauthon IncGamers Member

Great story Bug! Congrats on surviving!

I'm just glad to know that I'm not a)the only person who will, on occassion, return to the scene through a TP I know is trapped by mistake...and b)forgets to refill the belt following an epic battle I barely survive.

Some days I think I'm too dumb for HC...then I sit down in front of the computer again...

15. Kaysaar

Kaysaar IncGamers Member

Ha! Great story! :clap:

16. Metelgear

Metelgear IncGamers Member

:lol: Haha, very well told. As a side effect, I now feel slightly less stupider. :grrr:

Regards,
    -Metelgear :winner:

17. Zertuals_Ovrlrd

Zertuals_Ovrlrd IncGamers Member

Great story. I laughed I cried...

Z_O

18. jiansonz

jiansonz IncGamers Member

I have also returned through "escape portals" more than once, in HC. Luckily, none of those mistakes have been fatal but it´s been very close a few times (can you say Cow Level!).

19. strijdje

strijdje IncGamers Member

hehe, lucky little girl ;)
    nice story

20. BIGeyedBUG

:lol: I know what you mean. Although my theory about HC is that you have to be smart enough to survive, and dumb enough to keep playing. :flip: