Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Hardcore Barbarians

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by ddevilx, May 8, 2008.

1. ddevilx

ddevilx IncGamers Member

Hardcore Barbarians

So I have a hardcore barbarian. He's 27, and plays with a meteorb sorc, a skelemancer, and a fanaticsm zealot. We play on players 8.

Up until now I was planning to go frenzy, but I was thinking about hell mode and wondering if I'd be alright without a shield. Sure, I hear a lot of guys say frenzy is great, but it's all SC.

If I do need a shield for hell, would whirlwind be a good way to go? I don't know how whirling affects blocking - can you even block when you whirl? I guess I could use concentrate as well.

Anyway, any thoughts? Is frenzy a deathwish in HC?

2. ZappaFan

ZappaFan Hardcore Moderator and America Trade Moderator

Re: Hardcore Barbarians

Played more Frenziers through the game on HC than any other build, it's always been my favorite. High leech and fast weapons, liberal use of Battle Command and War Cry, along with not playing ahead of your level in the game and you can do fine. I've played more Barbs than anything by a long shot and I almost never use a shield. I like two handed weapons for Concentrate and WW both.

3. LuckyDwarf

LuckyDwarf IncGamers Member

You should have enough support with fanatic skeletons and such for you to go without a shield. With solo barbs I like to build them so that I can switch from one hand to two for more damage; for instance, my barb uses an Oath highland and Stormshield, but he can drop the Stormshield for a big damage boost in places I don't need a shield. With plenty of meat shields and your sorc friend dropping bombs on monsters you'll be fine.

Just going to restate what ZF said in that high leech and warcries are your friends, so make good use of them. You can howl to get guys off of you, warcry to stun them, or taunt to bring ranged mobs to you (or off your casters).

Oh, and whirlwind doesn't have any negative effects on block.

Lucky

4. STINGER

STINGER IncGamers Member

Battle Cry rocks........all crys rock really!

Go with minimum stats and max out your Vita as much as you can.

"maybe" add a bit to Natural Resistance if you must, but I NEVER do, I always seem to find a way to get the resists on a barb, remember, with his high life he doesnt need life charms he can easily use a bunch of resist ones.

+skills really mean nothing in small amounts, so dont try and use that +1 or +2 use the nice Priz one that looks like crap if you need to! Sure, lvl 35 BO is nice, but fact is lvl 20 is plenty!

Do get 1 point in Bezerk and beware around foes you cannot leech from like PIs and skeletons, and ofcourse the dreaded Iron Maiden. YOu have an army of guys to fight for you so jsut use them and you will be fine.

Most people think Barbs are item dependant, and they are when it comes ot being a big bad killer, but when it comes to playing the game and beating it you can do it with some of the worst crap you can think of.........its more about the player than the gear man.

Dont forget, when all else fails pick up some sticks and toss them!!! YOu have Fanta!

5. ddevilx

ddevilx IncGamers Member

Thanks for all the input guys, you have successfully allayed my fears.

I'll stick it out as frenzy, and I'll probably use Conc if I feel like I need a shield since BO will be maxed anyway.

Thanks, too, for the double-throw suggestion. Man, I'd make a thrower in a second if the stack sizes on javelins were even a little bit reasonable.

6. BoD Trader

BoD Trader IncGamers Member

my frenzy hc barb, is fine in hell. then again he does have an eth oath and dracs so thats not really a fair shout.

7. Tai.

Tai. IncGamers Member

Don't listen to Jason, his current barb has like 10 hard points in Battle Command :)

In all honesty, barbs aren't gonna give you huge killing speed but will give you stability. Any skill set works, just keep in mind that you are not gonna match your friends for kill speed (well probably the pally)

8. LuckyDwarf

LuckyDwarf IncGamers Member

Hey hey! I switched builds half way in! And you don't seem to mind using him. :D

Lucky

9. NightShade

NightShade IncGamers Member

The runewords you can get make your killing speed scale pretty well compared to some of the others if you are going frenzy.

Peace armour + dual black flails + amp is absolutely disgusting at ripping down bosses in the later levels

10. ddevilx

ddevilx IncGamers Member

So, I thought I'd update you guys on our progress -

We made it to level 68 last night, and we just took down NM Nilathak.

Our all-paladin team died in Worldstone 2 last time, and so our goal with this team was to make it to hell mode (since two of our guys have never made it to hell mode before).

Wielding a Crescent Moon (War Spike) and a Demon Limb, rocking just over 2k HP with BO up, I'm feeling pretty confident we'll make our goal.

I'm thinking of upgrading a Butcher's Pupil, and making either Lionheart or Gloom for some armor (I have Griswold's with resist runes right now).

I'm pretty pleased with frenzy so far but I have to say - trying to stay with the group with a full frenzy charge is impossible! Sometimes I'll find myself nearly half a map away before I realize I've out-sprinted everyone.

But, 10 points in War Cry is HUGE. It's going to save my life someday.

Till the nextime,
    BA_Baracus