Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

hardcore amazon help

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by cade88, Oct 19, 2006.

1. cade88

cade88 IncGamers Member

hardcore amazon help

So I have been fooling around with the idea of an amazon lately in hc because I cant seem to keep a sorc alive. And I was going to build the standard Plague and Lightning fury javazon because those skills aren't to item dependent. Then I started looking at Freezing arrow and plague javelin because I like poison and popping things is always fun and both have good damage when synergized even with no plus skills. And I like that because I don't twink. Here are the two builds I am thinking of any advice as far as safety and crowd control would be helpful aswell as any early game advice like which tree to invest in first would help to

Edit: both these builds require 96 points and can be finished at level 84

20 poison Javelin
    20 Plague Javelin
    1 in all passive magic tree
    5 in pierce 55% chance of piercing
    20 cold arrow
    20 freezing arrow

or I could do just 1 point in D/A/E and not invest in decoy or valk and sink those 4 extra points I save in pierce to make my build look like this

20 poison j
    20 pj
    1 in d/a/e
    9 in pierce 69% of piercing
    20 ca
    20 fa

Edit2: stats would be this

95 str
    dex enough for max block with rhyme shield
    vit everything else
    eng nothing

thx for the help
    Cade

2. Milb

Milb IncGamers Member

I'm only using Poison Javelins for the first now now so I can't really give any advice on that front, however, I do think you should sacrifice some points from the cold arrows and get a decent level Valk, an untwinked Zon without a Valk would be very dangerous, especially as your main killing skill takes a while to kill off enemies.

I made a LF/CS/FA zon, with a good Valk, had 20 LF/CS but I spread the other points across both the cold arrows, as sometimes the damage increase was greater if investing in FA, and sometimes in the synergy, I used a skill-calc to determine which to select each level.

Also, for Poison Javelins, is pierce important? It seems the javelin can only travel about 3/4 of a screen anyway.

3. cade88

cade88 IncGamers Member

mainly the pierce would be for my freezing arrows. Also each monster hit with my plague would make another cloud of poison and the reason for not much of an investment in valk is that I'll have cold skills and probably a holy freeze merc.

4. FlimFlan

FlimFlan IncGamers Member

I have a twinked SC zon set up like your first in Act 5 Hell. For PJ to be effective in Hell, you need a LOT of + skills gear. My PJ is 38 (I think), and it really does not kill many things quickly at P8. FA is awesome though for slowing down the monsters when they are poisoned though. I also put points in LF because there are just some monsters that are hard to kill otherwise.

All that said, it is a great build for breezing through normal and NM. The Maggot Lair is especially easy with PJ, as you don't have to get too close to the scarabs.

5. noobintraining

noobintraining Banned

Well, I have never played hardcore, and have never tried a hybrid between bow & crossbow and javelin & spear.

That said; if your build doesn't work out, I highly suggest the standard LF/PJ build. I started one a few weeks ago and as we speak she's level 54 in Act II Nightmare. She's untwinked, has not died yet, and shows no signs of slowing down.

However, for your build...definitely consider points in Valkyrie. With a hardcore character; a valkyrie and/or strong decoy can be a real lifesaver. Along with your mercenary (I personally like Act III cold merc) you'll be a force to be reckoned with.

Considering Plague Javelin and Poison Javelin...I've heard a lot of people say that maxing both is not neccesary. I'm going with 15 points in each, and letting +skills to the rest. But obviously, I haven't determined if this is effective just yet. When I do, I'll let you know. Don't fear about not getting much +skills. At level 51, my amazon already had +8.

Stats look good, Cade. To use the best javelins, you'll need 107 STR, but 95 should work and let your gear make up the difference. DEX will probably work out to be about 170.

Good luck!

Oh...do you trade? If you can get your hands on a Razortail, it grants 33% piercing attack, meaning you won't have to put as many points in Pierce.

6. cade88

cade88 IncGamers Member

no I don't trade but I decided to go with a valk for the extra tankage and hope to find a razortail somewhere along the way

7. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

I am playing the same HC character right now. She has just completed A1 Hell. She is viable, but I wouldn't place too much skill-points elsewhere than into CF/FA/PJ/PJ. You will need them maxed asap to do some damage in hell. After you max them (and place few points in pierce), go spent the rest of points in valk. BTW my character is restricted from placing points in decoy/valk (old tournament rules) and it's sometimes quite scary. I would love to have at least 1point in decoy....

8. cade88

cade88 IncGamers Member

having those skills maxed out would be my main priority and yea I wouldn't do hell on anything but p1

9. noobintraining

noobintraining Banned

What player setting would that be, Hrus? I'm asking because I've heard 15 points in both Plague Javelin and Poison Javelin is effective at /players 1 through /players 3, and I'm trying to determine if it's true.

10. FlimFlan

FlimFlan IncGamers Member

My guess would be P8. Like I said, my PJ/PJ are at level 38 (I think) 58k damage over 17.6 seconds, and it is tough. I have done the whole thing at P8, though I am seriously considering dropping down for Act 5.

11. Butzull

Butzull IncGamers Member

Be careful when planning long term builds based on advice of something that's cruising through NM. Many a build cruises through all of NM and then hits a wall as soon as they hit Hell.

I only play untwinked HC, and for just about every character I'm players 8 through Norm and NM, then drop to about players 3 for hell. I just find that untwinked, very few builds are item independent enough to continue on a high setting.

Likewise, being HC, I would suggest getting the Valk up and running. In hell your Merc will die often and quick, and a Valk gives you the time to sum up a situation and react (whether aggressively or in full blown retreat). Remember, 1 cursed, extra fast pack of many different things and you're back to Act I normal.

I've never really played a HC poison build so can't advise on that, but hopefully I've added something to think about.

Butz. :dunce: