Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Hangover Help!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by C_Narcissus, Feb 1, 2004.

1. C_Narcissus

C_Narcissus IncGamers Member

Hangover Help!

Alright I turned 21 a few weeks ago and my best friend took me out last night to a goth club and I drank way too much and ended up blacking out around 3 am. I wake up at 8 am this morning on the floor, feeling like I wanted to DIE. So I sat in the shower for a while trying to throw up some more but nothin'! It's like when you work so hard for a baal run but nothing comes out at the end... (ok that was bad...just ignore it) Anyway I still got a hangover and a killer stomach ache and I have to drive 4 hours back to New Jersey tonight to get back to college. Any suggestions?

2. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Lots of fluids(water). Some of my friends swear by those hang-over pills. You have to take them before you get the hang-over though.

3. cougar

cougar IncGamers Member

drink more.

4. SuggestiveName

SuggestiveName IncGamers Member

Thats true, nothing kills a hangover like getting a buzz on. But then again, it will ravage your body, and devour your soul.

It helps if you drink a bunch of water and eat something before bed, the water hydrates you, and the food will absorb some of the alcohol still in your stomach.

Hangovers are inevitable though, best thing to do is sleep through them.

5. Underseer

Underseer IncGamers Member

Like everyone else said, drink lots of water. Unfortunately, for that "cure" to be effective you have to drink it before going to bed. Passing out sorta rules that out unfortunately.

When I say lots of water, I mean a lot. The more the better. I try to drink water 'til I have to go to the bathroom, then keep drinking water 'til I have to again.

Alcohol is a diuretic: a substance that increases urine flow, which results in mild dehydration. That's why you feel so bad: you're getting a little taste of what it's like to die of thirst, although the real thing is probably much, much worse. Gives you new appreciation all those stories/reports of people dying of dehydration in the desert or while trapped under rubble, eh?

6. Necrolestes

Necrolestes IncGamers Member

One hundred percent hangover cure success!

The perfect cure: don't sober up!

The actual cure: drink lots of caffeine-free fluids (caffeine, like alcohol is a diuretic and will make matters worse) and get some B-vitamins in your system (in order for your body to process alcohol, certain enzymes are needed to break down alcohol into a form of fuel suitable for use in the body; these enzymes need B-vitamins as a cofactor or helper to work and the more you drink, the fewer B-vitamin complexes you have left to deal with the incoming alcohol).

You should avoid using NSAIDS (like Tylenol or Advil) until you are able to walk a straight line (why? the pain may be so bad at one point that you may accidently overdose, thinking that more works faster...it doesn't) plus if you have a stomachache, you should avoid aspirin, ibuprofen, and acetaminophen (known gastric irritants...naproxen and indomethacin are OK in small doses).

You have to get a little rest (say, about one hour) before trying to resume normal activities (too much too quickly equals more down time in the long run).

Prevention of a hangover is simple and very easy to remember: only drink on a full stomach, never drink so much that the barstool starts to look good to you, and always drink with a friend of the same sex...black-outs can lead to situations that make friends of the opposite sex think certain thoughts and we don't want that, do we?

7. Underseer

Underseer IncGamers Member

Aw man, I forgot to pull my usual stunt!

Usually in this situation, I'll recommend something outrageous and disgusting, then tell them it doesn't work only after they've done it. Hey, think it's too late to talk him into mixing canned tuna, vanilla ice cream and pork rinds in a bowl and eating it? If we're convincing we might get him to do it while standing on his head or something.

8. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

Bingo. You can't be hungover if you don't sober up.

Actually there is no cure, other than time. Water and sleep help, though. If you're with it enough the night prior, drink as much water as possible. It stops the headache that you get from dehydration. Also, set your alarm for about 2 hours before you intend to get up, pop some tylenol or ibuprofin and go back to sleep. You'll feel a hell of a lot better when you wake back up.

9. dodomac

dodomac IncGamers Member

The best method: Take it like a man and stay awake the whole night, while drinking no water.

It'll probably feel worse than being kicked in the nuts twice but it'll teach you not to get drunk (maybe)

10. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

Don't kid yourself. :teeth:

11. dodomac

dodomac IncGamers Member

I kid you (and myself) not. *gulps a glass of milk*

12. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

Quitters never prosper. :drink: ;)

13. C_Narcissus

I did that this morning too...doesn't go well with alcohol.

14. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

everything goes well with alcohol!

15. Deramhus

Deramhus Banned

Pour some salt into water (a pint). And knock it back. Mightn't taste the best but 10 minutes later you'll start to perk up. At the moment you need salts and fluids back in your system .....

16. C_Narcissus

Thanks for all the replies, guys. I'm doing a little better now, and I'm back in Jersey and ready to sleep. Don't know why I got so sick - I don't usually get sick after drinking but I guess it's because I haven't done it in a helluva long time. The salt idea was a good one, by the way.

The lesson learned? When a shot is called a "Bodybag" it's called it for a reason...

17. Pierrot le Fou

Pierrot le Fou IncGamers Member

1 pint of water per drink before bed.

Gatorade, eggs, sausage, and potatoes when you wake up.

Then take a nap.

Then there's my ever-important rules to never vomiting:
    - quit if you start to hiccough
    - any dizziness is a bad bad sign
    - always stay awake for at least an hour after quitting drinking (to process the rest of the liquor and get through the worst of it as well as doing the water thang to prevent the morning puking)
    - never ever EVER drink on a really empty stomach, at least shove some chips or something in there (beer nuts do count if you eat enough)
    - try not to mix liquors. beer with beer, red wine with red wine, vodka with vodka, etc. If you are going to mix, always try to go from strongest to weakest liquor (absynthe -> zima)
    - Always bring a friend to tell you when you're drunk. Try to make sure you don't bring an alcoholic friend (oops!)
    - Drink slowly. When you're drunk, drink something very very slowly. Otherwise you realize you're really drunk and still have way more liquor to process, resulting in a dance with the toilet bowl of horror.

Follow these simple steps, and you may be lucky like me. Yes, that's right, you too can only have puked into a storm drain in your residential neighborhood at 3am and the confines of your shower. Yes, two times in a lifetime of drinking double digits of drinks.

18. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

Complete organ transplant.

19. Oberammergau

Oberammergau IncGamers Member

Since when does milk not go good with alcohol??

White Russian
    2/5 vodka
    2/5 milk
    1/5 kahlua

:D If you like drinking, learn to deal with hangovers because they are inevitable. Basically all the responses you've gotten tell you how to deal with one.

On a related note, I saw those hangiver prevention pills advertised for the first time not too long ago. My question is, does anyone here know if they actually prevent a hangover?

20. nnndave

nnndave IncGamers Member

man screw hangovers. You shouldn't have gone to a goth club in the first place. Your lucky your not a Dunpiel. JK

the worst thing about mornings after is the congestion in your face and the taste in your mouth. Get a rag and soak it with really hot water and just lean back and let it sit on your face. Then brush your teeth twice and use some listerine. Eat bread and water for breakfast, and if you still feel like ****, for lunch too. Whatever you do, do NOT!!!! drink or eat any of these: Pizza, Taco Bell, Warm beer (even cold is kinda shady), Doritos, or Beans. Take a shower, take a ****, leave that hot rag on your face and eat lots of bread and water!